Why PRS is gaining share in the guitar market

Every time I see Paul speaking (videos) I can almost hear the gears turning in his head. He's proud of his guitars and product line overall, that comes through a lot. He has his full name on all his products, that's how much faith he has in all his products. He doesn't give up, that's another trait of all successful people.

For a long time, PRS wasn't on my radar, it is now.

Strictly speaking for myself, PRS had the guitar (Vela semi HB) with the sound I was looking for but couldn't find elsewhere. Funny thing is, PRS never registered on my radar until last fall. I'd been trying out other guitars and while I found some great players I wasn't satisfied with the tones. Then one day (for some reason), PRS just popped into my head and I thought "lets see what they have to offer."

I like the clarity of single coils (Strat, Tele) but overall I find the sound is too thin for me for certain things. It works for millions of folks out there but not me. I like the thicker sound of a bridge humbucker but some are too thick in the mids. I've never found a neck humbucker that I liked. There's always too many low-mids that boom out to the point of making the bridge pickup sound weak.

The Vela with the lower output bridge humbucker and it's special design neck single coil pickup was exactly what I was looking for tonally. It also helped that it plays great, it's light weight doesn't hurt my back and it's looks are stunning!

Your conclusion is similar to mine, PRS was not on my radar either until recently. The tones are outstanding, the guitar is reasonably light, and comfortable to hold and play. I like all the tones this guitar has to offer, the neck pickup is my favorite, however.

Your conclusion is similar to mine, PRS was not on my radar either until recently. The tones are outstanding, the guitar is reasonably light, and comfortable to hold and play. I like all the tones this guitar has to offer, the neck pickup is my favorite, however.
I've wondered if I ever did want another PRS but with dual humbuckers, could I find one where I'd like the neck pickup?

When I started my search for a PRS I tried a used Starla at my local music store. Right away the neck pickup was too bassey for my liking. I've been going to that store for years so they had no problem when I asked for a screwdriver so I could adjust the pickup heights. Brought the bridge pickup a bit closer to the strings and took the neck pickup down quite a bit. Still had that boom to the point of making the bridge pickup sound weak when going from the neck pickup directly to the bridge pickup. I don't like that.

There's a YouTube video where Joe Walsh is talking about his signature PRS. He said his complaint with new guitars is that the neck pickups have way too many low mids and said he doesn't have that problem with his guitar because "Paul took care of that!" He said vintage guitars don't have that problem. I've never played a vintage guitar so I'll have to take his word for it. But his complaint about neck humbuckers in "new" guitars is the same as mine.

Yaaaassss!! I like where your head's at dude. I mean who needs Celtic Knots when you can have flying tacos!

Dear PS Team....MAKE IT SO!!!!

Flying tacos FTW!!
Do you think Santana would approve of Tacos In Flight fret inlays on his sig model?

I've wondered if I ever did want another PRS but with dual humbuckers, could I find one where I'd like the neck pickup?

When I started my search for a PRS I tried a used Starla at my local music store. Right away the neck pickup was too bassey for my liking. I've been going to that store for years so they had no problem when I asked for a screwdriver so I could adjust the pickup heights. Brought the bridge pickup a bit closer to the strings and took the neck pickup down quite a bit. Still had that boom to the point of making the bridge pickup sound weak when going from the neck pickup directly to the bridge pickup. I don't like that.

There's a YouTube video where Joe Walsh is talking about his signature PRS. He said his complaint with new guitars is that the neck pickups have way too many low mids and said he doesn't have that problem with his guitar because "Paul took care of that!" He said vintage guitars don't have that problem. I've never played a vintage guitar so I'll have to take his word for it. But his complaint about neck humbuckers in "new" guitars is the same as mine.
Try the DGT. Seriously.

I like to do cleans on the neck and dirty on the bridge. Built in channel switching.

Surely he would? I mean who doesn't love tacos?! Whoever they are, if they exist...I can't be friends with them, nobody needs that kind of negativity in their life.
I'm sure Paul has thought of this before. The hangup was probably, how do you differentiate them? I mean, you can see owl, eagle, dove etc. clearly even as small as they are on a PRS neck. But how the heck can you tell regular beef taco from fish taco, or how can you tell Mahi Mahi from Blackened Redfish Tacos? I mean, don't tacos all look sort of the same, or at least by the time you scale them down to fit on the 12th fret?

So, are we thinking just all inlays, the same taco? I'm sure this is the same high level thinking and conversations that go one with the PRS brass every day.

I'm sure Paul has thought of this before. The hangup was probably, how do you differentiate them? I mean, you can see owl, eagle, dove etc. clearly even as small as they are on a PRS neck. But how the heck can you tell regular beef taco from fish taco, or how can you tell Mahi Mahi from Blackened Redfish Tacos? I mean, don't tacos all look sort of the same, or at least by the time you scale them down to fit on the 12th fret?

So, are we thinking just all inlays, the same taco? I'm sure this is the same high level thinking and conversations that go one with the PRS brass every day.

I'm thinking Birria Tacos at the 12th fret, because they come with the consommé for dipping - that'll fit 12 nicely.

Don't forget soft shell vs. hard shell! The word taco is DEEP!! Hopefully these in"lay" tacos will be dripping wet!!!

Seriously though...how cool would a flying taco be on the neck heel? :)

And for the record, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to tacos (and pizza) fish tacos are gross. There I said it...fight me.

:D

Back