Why PRS is gaining share in the guitar market

I think the internet has a massive part to play in the growth of PRS sales too.

Of course guitars like the 594 and the Silver Sky have also contributed to growth. Both getting rave reviews and a lot of publicity as well as the backing of one of the biggest stars in the Guitar world in John Mayer. People were wanting to hate the Silver Sky but once they actually get to try, their prejudice is wiped away. The internet though, not just the amount of information and video's highlighting the lack of quality of their competitors but also the fact that PRS guitars are a brand that people can buy online without the worry of issues or missing out on finding 'the one', not a brand you really need to go to a store to try out first.

AMEN - At least to me, this is a big differentiator! I am just about ready to pull the plug on a Silver Sky and I already have 2 Strats

I have always thought PRS just got it right. As many mentioned, make a quality instrument. But, you want an LP body and feel, we got that. Strat? Yeah we got that too. Oh you want semi-hollow, let me show you these....

They simply understood that once guitar players find a manf. they like, we like the diversity to choose different models within that same manf. Kind of hard to go from an LP to an ES 335, but in PRS you can do that with ease.

The one issue some have with PRS is they feel they dont have a signature sound like a Les Paul, Strat, Tele, 335 or Rickenbacker. There is some truth to that. Especially when they come out with their version of a Strat and Les Paul. I dont see these guitars however trying to replace them but providing a high quality updated alternative.

The one issue some have with PRS is they feel they dont have a signature sound like a Les Paul, Strat, Tele, 335 or Rickenbacker.

I think that is because of the history with Gib/Fen. People have been hearing those for years, and have associated sounds with how those guitars shape the sound. PRS has its own signature, but since its "missing" the G/F tones we are used to, some say it sounds "sterile". It doesn't, its just the ear is trained to expect different sounds from a guitar based on history.

In reality, if PRS were used in the 50s/60s instead, and a Les Paul came out today, the les paul would generate the same comments. Our ears are trained on these older vintage sounds, and new sounds are seen as "missing something". Just our brains trained on other specific models!

IMHO

I think that is because of the history with Gib/Fen. People have been hearing those for years, and have associated sounds with how those guitars shape the sound. PRS has its own signature, but since its "missing" the G/F tones we are used to, some say it sounds "sterile". It doesn't, its just the ear is trained to expect different sounds from a guitar based on history.

In reality, if PRS were used in the 50s/60s instead, and a Les Paul came out today, the les paul would generate the same comments. Our ears are trained on these older vintage sounds, and new sounds are seen as "missing something". Just our brains trained on other specific models!

IMHO
It’s my opinion that a player gives the guitar its sound, meaning, it’s up to us to decide if we conform to the established standard or step out on our own. The music-consuming public decided what’s cool...sounding and looking...which is what we either conform to, or redefine. Your points, btw, are absolutely spot-on, IMO.

Sometimes your numbers aren't all driven by sales. They are driven by people who believe in the product and put out a stellar product and refuse to make loss leaders out of any of their models. Competent and visionary leadership, that treats their employees with respect while offering a superior product has to help too. PRS isn't quite the monolith the others are, and maybe that is one of the reasons too...not resting on laurels of the past with contemporary mediocrity.

I'm old and heard and saw many of the Great Players. So there are iconic sounds we associate some music with. But those sounds are probably more a memory than a reality. Difficult to say.
When I saw zep in 1969 he had a wall of Marshals behind him. The sound was probably as much Marshall as his LP.
I bought my McCarty in the 90s and I still play it regularly. It still looks new! I met Les Paul in the 90s too and now I own the Only Gibson Jacket autographed by Les Paul in the world! Pretty cool to be sure.
Back then I had a LP Studio that never really performed as it should have so I sold it and bought the Mccarty.
I have never regretted doing that. I now find myself looking at a 594 hollow bodyll. Maybe just enough of a different sound to be interesting.
I don't want to buy something that sounds like my older Mcxarty.

I live in Italy and after trying many brands in an "medium price" level, I start to dream about this guitars, it was early 90, I was young, when in a local PUB a guy plays this guitar, maybe one of the few in Italy in whale blue finish I guess...this returns in my mind and I've started searching for the answer.
When the GAS take place in my head was 2007 and there were not a lot of PRS dealer in Italy, most of them far from my city, and it was harder to find what I was looking for at the right price.
You should know that prices is US are quite convenient comparing to Europe market price but if you choose to receive guitars directly from a US shop or dealer you must add the taxes and ,this depends on strange rules but...could be 30% extra to pay.
Even Japan big on-line shop were full of wonderful guitars....but same for import taxes.
I was not satisfied from model I've found in local guitar shop. I want a CORE model but It had to be what I was looking for.

Finally I take the risk of ordering it from UK, no taxes and £ > € exchange was good.
Just 40 Euro shipping extra only.
I found a CU 24 2008 10 top flamed (700€ less than Italy prices) in a beautiful amber finish.
I can't describe the emotion I've felt opening that black case. It takes my breath away. I was with a friend LP Std owner and he remains with no words seeing the top finish. He said in Italian something like "you are f@cking lucky man!!".
This guitar is still one of mine, the favorite maybe. Perfect finishing, comfortable neck and setup...all you could ask from a guitar, with a wide range of sounds (never found in any other model).

Following the 1st lucky trading I've purchased an EX-demo Swamp ash narrowfield 25th anniversary.
Always form UK...another on-line shop.
Again the wondering experience.
White immacolate case, deep blue burst body and maple neck contrast...again the magic moment (and it blows away the American Telecaster just traded with a guy...money needed for 2nd axe)
Different model, different neck profile, different setup...same unbelievable quality under you fingers.
Like your hands says ...ok welcome home...that's the place where I want to live. No doubt.

This 2 guitars help my guitar player "self esteem" growing and were always present in my local gigs.
In 10 years of playing I've never, never break a string use bending as (I'm a rock guitar player who loves David Gilmour and Gary Moore) , this lottery of strings was normal somehow an all other guitars...

After about 10 years, trying to fill the "strat" hole in my head I've found a Silver sky in a local shop at a good price (used for demo). Horizon red.
It's al little bit different approaching with fret board, scale and fret size...but impression of quality, the same.
Still not used out of my home...it will be early at the 1st chance.

Finally I've 3 PRS core Guitars and I'm an happy and grateful customer.
You know, it's like a small producer which became an icon without loosing the dream of the past. Without putting his face behind any choice.
Can you associate it to a Gibson or a Fender?
Maybe to a Suhr or Tom Anderson...but PRS create his own "inconfondibile" model with Custom 24 and following, not just a strat revisited and upgraded.

It will be great to shake the hand of Paul Smith, just to tell him: thanks for all, thanks for no compromises, thanks to let me dream about my next guitar even I've no space in my flat...and I'm invading my son room for practice.
Priceless.

IMHO

Agreed. And being a guy who's owned many affordable versions of his heroes guitars over the past three decades, I'm kind of into playing a guitar that gives me a fresh canvas to create my own sound. I really think the 85/15 pickups, with a little overdrive, are my signature tone right now.

It will be great to shake the hand of Paul Smith, just to tell him: thanks for all, thanks for no compromises, thanks to let me dream about my next guitar even I've no space in my flat...and I'm invading my son room for practice.
Priceless.

You may want to consider flying over for the PRS Experience in June and you just might get to shake hands with Paul :)
Interesting that you mention that you pay no taxes when you buy guitars in UK and have them shipped to Italy. Unfortunately, that may soon be changing (Brexit)

Back