Why PRS is gaining share in the guitar market

Discussion in 'PRS News' started by [email protected], Sep 27, 2018.

1. CVS

CVS Not so new member

AMEN - At least to me, this is a big differentiator! I am just about ready to pull the plug on a Silver Sky and I already have 2 Strats

bodia likes this.
  2. AZGiant

AZGiant New Member

I have always thought PRS just got it right. As many mentioned, make a quality instrument. But, you want an LP body and feel, we got that. Strat? Yeah we got that too. Oh you want semi-hollow, let me show you these....

They simply understood that once guitar players find a manf. they like, we like the diversity to choose different models within that same manf. Kind of hard to go from an LP to an ES 335, but in PRS you can do that with ease.

3. Revelation

Revelation New Member

I cant wait to get my first PRS next year. I already miss the McCarty 594 I tried out amf im looking forward in being part of the PRS family.

4. Revelation

Revelation New Member

The one issue some have with PRS is they feel they dont have a signature sound like a Les Paul, Strat, Tele, 335 or Rickenbacker. There is some truth to that. Especially when they come out with their version of a Strat and Les Paul. I dont see these guitars however trying to replace them but providing a high quality updated alternative.

5. Bsic

Bsic NaN

I think that is because of the history with Gib/Fen. People have been hearing those for years, and have associated sounds with how those guitars shape the sound. PRS has its own signature, but since its "missing" the G/F tones we are used to, some say it sounds "sterile". It doesn't, its just the ear is trained to expect different sounds from a guitar based on history.

In reality, if PRS were used in the 50s/60s instead, and a Les Paul came out today, the les paul would generate the same comments. Our ears are trained on these older vintage sounds, and new sounds are seen as "missing something". Just our brains trained on other specific models!

IMHO

6. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

It’s my opinion that a player gives the guitar its sound, meaning, it’s up to us to decide if we conform to the established standard or step out on our own. The music-consuming public decided what’s cool...sounding and looking...which is what we either conform to, or redefine. Your points, btw, are absolutely spot-on, IMO.

shimmilou and bodia like this.
  7. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

Sometimes your numbers aren't all driven by sales. They are driven by people who believe in the product and put out a stellar product and refuse to make loss leaders out of any of their models. Competent and visionary leadership, that treats their employees with respect while offering a superior product has to help too. PRS isn't quite the monolith the others are, and maybe that is one of the reasons too...not resting on laurels of the past with contemporary mediocrity.

JonW, [email protected] and bodia like this.
  8. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

I'm old and heard and saw many of the Great Players. So there are iconic sounds we associate some music with. But those sounds are probably more a memory than a reality. Difficult to say.
    When I saw zep in 1969 he had a wall of Marshals behind him. The sound was probably as much Marshall as his LP.
    I bought my McCarty in the 90s and I still play it regularly. It still looks new! I met Les Paul in the 90s too and now I own the Only Gibson Jacket autographed by Les Paul in the world! Pretty cool to be sure.
    Back then I had a LP Studio that never really performed as it should have so I sold it and bought the Mccarty.
    I have never regretted doing that. I now find myself looking at a 594 hollow bodyll. Maybe just enough of a different sound to be interesting.
    I don't want to buy something that sounds like my older Mcxarty.

Stephen Hatfield and dogrocketp like this.
  9. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Welcome to the forum Bob.

10. Joseph Berlin

Joseph Berlin New Member

Superior product, great marketing and image, and amazing customer service. Nothing more to it.