Why non-locking tuners?

Chip Burns

Does anyone know why the 2021 594s switched from Phase III locking tuners to the Kluson-type?

Personally I prefer locking tuners for ease of use.

Perhaps it has to do with supply chain problems during the pandemic?

Doubtful, because they're still offering the Phase IIIs on other models, and they probably source the Klusons from the same manufacturer (most likely Gotoh).

During the early years of the McCarty, Paul Smith stated that he believed that the thinner headstock and Kluson-style tuners sounded better on that model. He's said that he thought the Kluson style tuners sounded better on the 594. They also used them on the earlier Singlecuts. I had several examples of each at the time, and loved the way they sounded.

Not that the more recent ones sound any worse, mind you!

They've gone back to the Kluson type on the entire McCarty line, including the 594, the Joe Walsh model, and I think the hollow 594s as well.

Personally, I have no opinion on whether they sound better or not. I trust Paul's ears, he's been better at designing guitars than just about anyone else. My McCarty Wood Library Trem came with lockers and an "unobtainium" not, instead of a bone nut and the Kluson type tuners, because it's a trem.

In a way, I was relieved, because I hate changing strings on any guitar, and the locking tuners are easier to dick around with. If it had come with the Kluson style tuners, however, I wouldn't have minded. I'm easy.

Two main reasons imho: weight (Paul knows there’s a trend towards lighter guitars), and cost.

I was among those who didn’t care for the change, but the vintage style work fine and fit the concept of the 594. My 594 HB II also came with the non-locking style. John Mann carries drop in replacements, should you desire. In the end, I decided to leave the stock tuners alone.

It’s not impossible to get locking phase III on a 2021 594. This could’ve been spec’d by the dealer back in 2020? Arrived at the dealer in June this year. Still, it seems they can be found even if more rare these days. I prefer locking for the ease of use as well.

f6vxBLT.jpg

They mentioned the change for the 2020 to Vintage style. At the time, IIRC, weight was mentioned. They are .5 oz lighter. Could be Paul just wanted to go all Vintage style with them and the nitro finish. Having said that, the Phase III are a direct drop in if so desired. PRS also makes a Vintage Style locking tuner. They currently aren't available at the PRS store, but several dealer have them. I put a set on my JW Ltd. Also, if you're going to do Phase III be aware that there will be "finish denting" from the footprint of the Vintage tuner.

Locking Style Vintage tuners

UWMwDdG.jpg

Finish denting from Vintage tuners when replacing them with Phase III

VBvFWEr.jpg

Weight difference

plMAkIh.jpg

i0hZ05T.jpg

They mentioned the change for the 2020 to Vintage style. At the time, IIRC, weight was mentioned. They are .5 oz lighter. Could be Paul just wanted to go all Vintage style with them and the nitro finish. Having said that, the Phase III are a direct drop in if so desired. PRS also makes a Vintage Style locking tuner. They currently aren't available at the PRS store, but several dealer have them. I put a set on my JW Ltd. Also, if you're going to do Phase III be aware that there will be "finish denting" from the footprint of the Vintage tuner.

Locking Style Vintage tuners

UWMwDdG.jpg

Finish denting from Vintage tuners when replacing them with Phase III

VBvFWEr.jpg

Weight difference

plMAkIh.jpg

i0hZ05T.jpg

You’ve got accurate bathroom scales!:rolleyes:

Nah, just got a set of Phase III's from the Accessory Shop. They wouldn't sell them as OEM if they had supply issues

I'm guessing its to take the 594 notch closer to the LP that 594 suppose to be. Appearance reasons?

Side note question - do you know what's the difference between Les Paul and a Lawnmower?

I like them, too. Was looking at a LP Studio for my next guitar until I looked seriously at PRS. Then it was all over.

I wouldn't change my 24's for anything but I may get a Custom Cherry or BB 68 witch chrome hardware one day

Back