Why no Stainless Steel Fret options from PRS?

Do you think PRS should have stainless steel fret options on their guitars?

• I'd rather get them refretted myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nickel is the new lead or asbestos!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

benh1972

I've been playing more guitar lately, & having already changed to pro steel strings due to nickel sensitivity, I've noticed my sensitivity getting worse.
I currently have 3 PRS SE guitars (245, Standard 24, & Singlecut Trem), along with an assortment of other guitars.

On contacting the guitar tech at my local music store, I've found the cost of a refret to Stainless Steel comes in at around $600 Au each guitar, & more if there is neck binding to consider.
That's a considerable expense when you have more than half a dozen guitars!

If PRS made a guitar with stainless steel frets, I'd seriously consider thinning out the collection & getting an S2, Bolt on, or Core model with stainless steel frets.

As it stands, it looks like I'll be getting a Chapman ML3 Pro Traditional, which is a T style guitar, for around the price of a Squier Tele CV 50s (my first choice) with the cost of refretting factored in (the Chapman Pro series are their range that sits around the same price & QC of PRS SE customs, as they're also made in South Korea, & have stainless steel frets from the factory build).
So it's really the CV Tele 50s & spend another $600, or get the ML3 Pro Traditional which comes ready to rock (or blues as the case may be).

I'll also be working my way through my existing collection, trading in some of my less favourite & less used guitars, & getting the rest refretted with stainless steel.
Surely I'm not alone in this conundrum?

If PRS can now make production line lefties, surely stainless steel frets should be the next step as they raise the bar, as they usually do (for other manufacturers to step up to in order to compete)?
I love my PRS SE guitars, but won't be buying any more guitars without stainless steel frets, & I'd prefer not to have to buy a non PRS or have to get fret jobs on new guitars!

There is a video in Shawn’s employee guitar thread when they are doing the fret level and the dude working says he uses xxx grit unless they’re stainless then he uses xxx grit. So there must be some that get the special stainless sauce in the private stock line......

As an Ophthalmologist, I see lots of nickel allergies, since it is a very common ingredient in eyeglass frames. About 5-10% of the world has some form of nickel allergy (most pretty mild). Most people, I just tell them to stay away from the nickel and get plastic frames (ie getting stainless steel frets). However, some people really like certain frames occationally and jewelry they have become attached to over the years (like your PRS’s). I dont have any proprietary interest or personal experience (since I don’t have a nickel allergy) in the product link I’m attaching below, but have heard great things from some of my patients. It is a lotion that blocks the metal from irritating you skin. Lasts about twelve hours, so may work good for mild contact to your frets :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQWDTJO?tag=lp-nickel-20

On a side note, I did have a good chuckle at the last option in the pole... Although I deeply sympathize as a fellow guitar player, the nickel isnt going to kill you or give you lung cancer like asbestos or lead;)

As an Ophthalmologist, I see lots of nickel allergies, since it is a very common ingredient in eyeglass frames. About 5-10% of the world has some form of nickel allergy

Soooo, what you're saying is that
.....nickle is the peanut....or was it, don't eat nickelo_O? I'm confused? :confused::D

After I owned my first guitar with SS frets, I never wanted to go back. I have had an SC245 refretted with SS frets, and it is AWESOME to play. I think all PRS should come with SS frets. Other companies are doing it on their high-end guitars. I think it will eventually happen at PRS.

Particularly never been through refrets... Brian May never did it on his Red Special, maybe it's in the way you play it.

I don't think Paul likes SS frets. I think he also chooses.the best fret material he can.

Agreed, my money is on that :cool:

When we are talking about PRS, I know there's no compromise... if he doesn't use SS frets even in the higher end guitars, I know there's a good reason for it.

As with any material that touches the strings, it can have an effect on the sound. Whether in the case of SS frets that’s good or bad, I have no idea.

Steel bridges, aluminum, zinc and brass all have a little different effect on the tone. So it’s not inconceivable that the fret material can, too.

Also, consider that there are different hardnesses of stainless steel, and nickel alloys. I’ve never had to refret a PRS.

“But dude, how long have you hung onto any guitar?”

“Had the SG since 1967, still has its original nickel frets.”

Sorry to hear about your problem, I can see your frustration, I'm sure you'll get this sorted.

I've had a few experiences playing stainless steel frets, one was on a refretted PRS, and nickel vs stainless is a long standing debate. Nickel IMHO sounds better, less bright, but wears more easily, while stainless is brighter with less mids, it is tougher on strings/making them wear a little quicker, but from what I hear stainless steel frets themselves almost never wear out.

If you had a few core PRS in need of fret jobs I wouldn't hesitate just on your physical problem with nickel, with lower priced models I can see your dilemma. Maybe looking at used core models with *worn frets* you might find some low priced deals, then sinking the $$ would be like buying a new guitar because that's what they are after a fret job.

Good luck with it!!

*One thing I forgot to mention is that I noticed stainless steel bend notes a little smoother than nickel, it's ever so slight but I did notice it.

Back