Why is this date so delayed on the Modcat???

docbennett

Banned
I'm putting this thread on a general discussion thread since it is not specifically related to private stocks per se. Here goes....

Here is my Private Stock Angelus. Lovely guitar...have it for about 4 months now. Bought it from the original owner who apparantly didn't own it for very long.

100_4158.jpg

100_4167.jpg

Here is the serial number and date as noted under the finish, as is typical of all Private Stocks.

100_4899_zps730de730.jpg

Now here is the interior sticker that indicates a date 8 days later. Reasonable. I can see a few days between final finish and application of sticker.

100_4893_zps42684739.jpg

100_4896_zpsde6b5f32.jpg

Now, as I was sorting my cases earlier, I noticed the Modcat on the case for the first time.....

100_4891_zpsb76b9c14.jpg

100_4892_zps0a3b6860.jpg

So, does this mean that the guitar sat for well over a year before it was cased for sale? What's with the 1 year 3 month delay between the guitar's "completion date" and the "date of manufacture" on the Modcat? Just curious, and wondering why the extended delay.

Inquiring minds need to know
tongue.gif

I'm posting this on the Vintage Rocker forum as well. Thought it might be relevant there, so no need to duplicate responses if you posted there already.

Oh, goody, a new conspiracy theory! :)

Clearly, Paul was taken aboard an alien space craft for one night by the Emperor of another galaxy to demo the guitar, but because one night of interstellar travel equals one year and three months of Earth-time, the sticker on the case carried the date of his return to our planet.

There couldn't possibly be any other logical explanation to THIS utter catastrophe on this guitar you bought used from someone on the internet intent on concealing the truth! I think you bought it from the alien.

I mean, there is no way you could just remove the freaking sticker from the case and just play the guitar with this kind of diabolical mystery afoot! You should definitely make an issue of it on two websites instead of just calling the factory to ask about it.

Last edited:
It's possible the guitar went back to the factory for a tweak or something and a new sticker was printed for the case. I think one of mine is like that.

Oh, goody, a new conspiracy theory! :)

Clearly, Paul was taken aboard an alien space craft for one night by the Emperor of another galaxy to demo the guitar, but because one night of interstellar travel equals one year and three months of Earth-time, the sticker on the case carried the date of his return to our planet.

There couldn't possibly be any other logical explanation to THIS utter catastrophe on this guitar you bought used from someone on the internet intent on concealing the truth! I think you bought it from the alien.

I mean, there is no way you could just remove the freaking sticker from the case and just play the guitar with this kind of diabolical mystery afoot! You should definitely make an issue of it on two websites instead of just calling the factory to ask about it.

WTF Les???? Whoever implied any sort of conspiracy theory or criticism of any sort? I posted a genuine curious question, Sorry if it raised some hackles for you, but your out left field reply might discourage legitimate responses to a legitimate question.

Could it be a "dealer" PS that never went to its intended buyer and somehow ended up back at PRS then off to the dealer that sold it to the buyer from which you bought?

But, on the real, anything we offer will only be conjecture...

Last edited:
WTF Les???? Whoever implied any sort of conspiracy theory or criticism of any sort? I posted a genuine curious question, Sorry if it raised some hackles for you, but your out left field reply might discourage legitimate responses to a legitimate question.

And who, other than PRS, can give you the "legitimate" answers to this question that you seek?

Let's see...can I think of any...hey, I know:

People who know nothing about the history of the instrument but who post on the internet! Yes, that's where you'll find legitimate responses...oh, wait. Hmmm, probably not.

Since, um, they can't possibly know a freaking THING about your particular guitar and can only speculate. So, no. That's probably not it. Unless, of course, speculation is what you prefer. Which, no. Of course not.

Aliens? Well, what else can possibly account for the amazing time warp that occurred for which no reasonable explanation can possibly exist (insert weird theremin noise here)?

Edit: Hey, you know what, I think it's a miracle! Mirabile dictu!

Last edited:
And who, other than PRS, can give you the "legitimate" answers to this question that you seek?

Let's see...can I think of any...hey, I know:

People who know nothing about the history of the instrument but who post on the internet! Yes, that's where you'll find legitimate responses...oh, wait. Hmmm, probably not.

Since, um, they can't possibly know a freaking THING about your particular guitar and can only speculate. So, no. That's probably not it. Unless, of course, speculation is what you prefer. Which, no. Of course not.

Aliens? Well, what else can possibly account for the amazing time warp that occurred for which no reasonable explanation can possibly exist (insert weird theremin noise here)?

Edit: Hey, you know what, I think it's a miracle! Mirabile dictu!

Hey Les...Maybe there are denizens of this board that think that all your posts are just soooooooo clever. But the reality is, as a member of BaM for years before you entered the scene....I can tell you that the forum members often have answers you just CAN'T GET from the factory. So...my recommendation..if you don't like a question...why not just ignore it? Your sarcasm and implications are not always funny to everyone....believe me. There is a biting aggression to your facetious comments that is just plain nasty. Didn't your mom teach you that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing??

Did you ever think for a moment that the question might have some minimal GENERAL INTEREST to other members here...perhaps someone had a similar experience...or perhaps someone is genuinely curious. And...the last I checked...there were a couple members of PRS the company on this forum...I guess if they feel the question has sufficient general interest, they may even decide to chip in. I thought that was what a forum like this was for.

So Les...you're saying that anytime someone has a PRS related question we should eschew the forum and take it right to customer service???? In this particular case I value the opinions of my forum members and I thought that that is what the darn forum is for.

I'll save my "factory and customer service questions" for people like Matt King explained why my "kitchen sink Modded HXDA" works in both parallel and series circuitry.

Thanks again. Pie anyone???? I'll take chocolate Pecan please.

Last edited:
well this is an uninteresting tangent. on topic please!

I don't know the answer to your question, unfortunately.

well this is an uninteresting tangent. on topic please!

I don't know the answer to your question, unfortunately.

Thanks James...I agree...let's stay on topic...and, given the quote above...let the speculation begin! Perhaps we can keep the speculation confined to potentially realistic possibilities?

Yeah....but the case states "DOM" and they clearly list the private stock model and serial number. So, while case replacement is a possibility, the concept of "DOM 11/11" tends to negate the DOM on the guitar. This is what I am curious about. Nothing malicious intended in my questioning, nor any real or implied critisism of the company. Just curious. that's all. Don't plan on selling the guitar...but would be interesting in reconciling what appears to be an anomaly.

Paranthetically, if the reverse were true, I'd understand. My PS #3340 "Serenity" was finished in June of 2011...but they agreed to put an October DOM on the headstock to commemorate my birthday. But in this case....the date of the guitar precedes the date on the case by such a length of time that I can't come up with a theory that makes sense.

The DOM is for the case. The state of California and others requires a DOM for the MDF used to build the cases. My guess is the guitar came back to us because the case was damaged and when the new case was issued, the current date was used, not the date of manufacturing for the guitar.

The DOM is for the case. The state of California and others requires a DOM for the MDF used to build the cases. My guess is the guitar came back to us because the case was damaged and when the new case was issued, the current date was used, not the date of manufacturing for the guitar.

Ta Da!!!! Shawn...when I get a chance, I will post your reply on VR forum, since I am sure that others may be interested. Thanks so much for the definitive "speculative reply"...this makes total sense. And...those PRS PS acoustic cases are pretty awesome themselves. Better the case being damaged than the guitar, any day.

Thanks again!

Yeah, but was it the aliens who damaged the case?

Back