Why is the S2 Vela satin ltd (a solid body) lighter than an SE custom 22 semi-hollow?

swazifiction

77jrnqv71kciidjvk31b2dk76mz0s4z4
I really can't deal with heavy guitars, so I was a bit apprehensive about buying the Vela, but it was such a bargain that I couldn't resist. But I was shocked to find it's lighter than my semi-hollow custom 22. Does anyone know why it's lighter?

I’m afraid I don’t know the materials used to make a custom 22... I’m guessing maple top? that may be the reason ? but I know my Solid Vela is very light.. and is a total tone machine so you have a great geeetar there... enjoy

I’m afraid I don’t know the materials used to make a custom 22... I’m guessing maple top? that may be the reason ? but I know my Solid Vela is very light.. and is a total tone machine so you have a great geeetar there... enjoy

And also the term might add a little.

Thanks guys. I suspect the trem; the 22 does have a maple veneer but it's very thin and the guitar is chambered cos it's a semi. The two are very different machines.

I agree, trem and maple top on the SE - but, keep in mind, while it does have a veneer, it still has a full thickness maple cap under the veneer, and the neck is maple, too. Also, I reckon a little bit of weight due to the thicker finish on the SE. Maybe not a lot, but it all adds up.

Back