Why is it "this" guitar?

Joseph, I was all over it again/some more last night. Couldn't put it down. Now I know what you and many others are on about. Before pulling the trigger I almost got swayed by the humbucker version because it just seemed more versatile.
Man am I glad I snapped out of it and went for my original pick. What an amazing tone and feel!:)

Another convert!:)

P90's are the secret weapon of tone. They get a bad rap because of the fear of the 60 Hz "buzz", but with modern line conditioning, I haven't found it to be much of an issue. The upside is soooooooo much better than what little downside you might hear. After an hour of playing P90's if I switch to a humbucker equipped guitar it sounds like I put a blanket over the amp. Now I'm not saying humbuckers don't have their place. I love them. I play them a lot. But if you need an articulate, vibrant, and powerful tone, you can't do better than P90.'s

Another convert!:)

P90's are the secret weapon of tone. They get a bad rap because of the fear of the 60 Hz "buzz", but with modern line conditioning, I haven't found it to be much of an issue. The upside is soooooooo much better than what little downside you might hear. After an hour of playing P90's if I switch to a humbucker equipped guitar it sounds like I put a blanket over the amp. Now I'm not saying humbuckers don't have their place. I love them. I play them a lot. But if you need an articulate, vibrant, and powerful tone, you can't do better than P90.'s
Well said sir!
It's common for me to play the bridge on most of my guitars, so I like the spanky tone. These P90s give me that in spades. And they're HOT too!
Oooohhh... love it!
What am I doing here at work? I wanna go home!o_O

This is my homemade version of a Swamp Ash Special. It might look like a F****r but it's got more PRS DNA than the other company's. This is the same body I used for many years before I bought my first PRS. It originally had Jazzmaster pickups and a 25.5" scale neck with rosewood fretboard and all that, but it's been revised a few times. It's on version 3.0.

PRS has worked its DNA into it in more way than one. 25" scale conversion neck? Check. 10" fretboard radius? check. 1 11/6" nut width? Check. PRS Dragon 2 neck pickup? Check. Also, the neck carve is .86 at the 1st fret like a PRS, but with more shoulder, more of a U shape, so it's beefier than a typical wide-fat. I love it, it's perfect. If I was getting a Private Stock I'd send this neck to PRS to duplicate the carve.

The body is Warmoth and the neck is USA Custom Guitars. Bridge pickup is a Duncan Custom of some sort and I think I put an unoriented Alnico 5 magnet in it. I ordered the half open covers from Philly Luthier's Supply along with flat black fiber pickup bottoms. So yes, I swapped the bottom plates on both pickups and replaced the long adjustable pole piece screws on the bridge pickup with shorter ones that fit without sticking out the bottom (the PRS screws were already an appropriate length). This was so I didn't have to rout out the pickup cavities. The old pickguard with the Fralin hum-canceling P-90 for Jazzmaster pickups is still in one piece and can be swapped back on in just a few minutes.

So, yeah, this is a pretty cool guitar and I've been playing it a lot. It sounds pretty amazing too. One volume, one tone, 3 way switch, no coil split options or any other mumbo jumbo. (ugh, need some better pics)

jT8cFOg.jpg

Here are the pickups:

3ltkYhE.jpg

Here's the whole thing pre-covers:

IXLNOV0.jpg

The body is one piece ash and it's really amazing.

Last edited:
This is my homemade version of a Swamp Ash Special. It might look like a F****r but it's got more PRS DNA than the other company's. This is the same body I used for many years before I bought my first PRS. It originally had Jazzmaster pickups and a 25.5" scale neck with rosewood fretboard and all that, but it's been revised a few times. It's on version 3.0.

PRS has worked its DNA into it in more way than one. 25" scale conversion neck? Check. 10" fretboard radius? check. 1 11/6" nut width? Check. PRS Dragon 2 neck pickup? Check.

The body is Warmoth and the neck is USA Custom Guitars. Bridge pickup is a Duncan Custom of some sort and I think I put an unoriented Alnico 5 magnet in it. I ordered the half open covers from Philly Luthier's Supply along with flat black fiber pickup bottoms. So yes, I swapped the bottom plates on both pickups and replaced the long adjustable pole piece screws on the bridge pickup with shorter ones that fit without sticking out the bottom (the PRS screws were already an appropriate length). This was so I didn't have to rout out the pickup cavities. The old pickguard with the Fralin hum-canceling P-90 for Jazzmaster pickups is still in one piece and can be swapped back on in just a few minutes.

So, yeah, this is a pretty cool guitar and I've been playing it a lot. It sounds pretty amazing too. One volume, one tone, 3 way switch, no coil split options or any other mumbo jumbo. (ugh, need some better pics)

jT8cFOg.jpg

Here are the pickups:

3ltkYhE.jpg

Here's the whole thing pre-covers:

IXLNOV0.jpg

The body is one piece ash and it's really amazing.
That's pretty dang cool!

You should be. They're great! You also want to stay away from the Cu22 Special Semi-Hollow. Special doesn't do it justice!
And since I already "sorta" have a version of that, what I came real close to buying a couple weeks ago was another Axis Super Sport. Same guitar (MUCH prettier!) with 5 way switch/pickup options and trem like on my JP12). Looks like that one fell through though.

Right now "it" is the Brent Mason. I am learning some tunes for a Southern Rock band I am going to audition for. The BM and my Marshall are a killer combo for that style of music.

Nice! Glad to hear you've come a long way with it since its tumultuous start.

And since I already "sorta" have a version of that, what I came real close to buying a couple weeks ago was another Axis Super Sport. Same guitar (MUCH prettier!) with 5 way switch/pickup options and trem like on my JP12). Looks like that one fell through though.

Way cool! I miss mine.

The newest ones are the most played at the moment ( Special Semihollow , Vela , DC3 ) That said I am so happy with my collection at the moment I don't really need anything.
Tho there is a Red BM on the PRSGOW Facebook page and I played Brians Silver Sky and I haven't tried Bodia 509 yet so me not needing anymore guitars is total BS
( Drops Mic )

Back