Why is it "this" guitar?

My resolution for the new year is to go cold turkey on music making and never pick up a guitar again.

“How long did it take you to break that resolution?”

“Couple of hours. But I really tried to do it.”

“Whose big idea was this resolution?”

“My mom’s.”

“Les, she’s 94. You might not need to keep taking her advice at this point.”

“But...she’s my mom! Moms always know best!”

Ah...the guitar of the moment. My specialty. I’ve played most of the north wall recently and bloody hell if the dragon isn’t as good as it gets. It sustains for long enough to get a cup of coffee. No wonder I stopped looking at guitars for 10 years.

Oh...it’s also kind of pretty.

I don't really have an 'it' guitar. I haven't been blessed with a fortune to accumulate a large guitar collection - I currently own 4 - 3 PRS Electrics and a Washburn Electro Acoustic that I have had for nearly 30yrs now. As such, I don't have an 'it' Guitar. I would say my 509 is '2nd' but only just behind my 'joint' favourites of the 594 and Custom 24. Arguably these two are quite similar - both Humbuckers - and only differentiate themselves by the 24/22 frets and relative neck Humbucker position. One sounds more vintage, the other more modern. I know neck is different and the 594 has a bit more options thanks to individual coil splitting but both have their place. My Custom 24 has the better top in my opinion but all my guitars are dark red - inc my Washburn (wine red). Maybe that will change if/when I get a Hollowbody - certainly likely to be the most I have ever spent on a guitar...

Nothings changed for me. I still take these to gigs. Why “it?”

This SC does it all: Sounds great, tremolo, piezo, great feeling ebony neck).

I like R9s, and this one is an old friend. I’m a big fan of Custom buckers. Nice and light for a LP (8.5 lbs.).

Last edited:
I LOVE playing my 89 cu24 but I'll never gig with it.
My 2011 cu24 is still my coolest sounding guitar but it needs a new nut and a setup.

My ce24 and McCarty have had the most play time lately.

Not good definitive answer I guess but what's a guy gonna do????

98 McSoapy Standard. Been my favorite through all of 2018 and still has the top spot. You and I have soapbars in common.
Joseph, I was all over it again/some more last night. Couldn't put it down. Now I know what you and many others are on about. Before pulling the trigger I almost got swayed by the humbucker version because it just seemed more versatile.
Man am I glad I snapped out of it and went for my original pick. What an amazing tone and feel!:)

I’m telling you guys...that green Santana is kinda it right now. Not because it’s my favorite or the best sounding, but because I’m simply not afraid of it.

I was in a weird headspace when I got it; I wasn’t overly psyched or planning on coming home with it so, it’s not too precious or anything, and it’s turned out to kinda be my daily driver or workhorse.

I’m telling you guys...that green Santana is kinda it right now. Not because it’s my favorite or the best sounding, but because I’m simply not afraid of it.

I was in a weird headspace when I got it; I wasn’t overly psyched or planning on coming home with it so, it’s not too precious or anything, and it’s turned out to kinda be my daily driver or workhorse.
Great response.
It's got the gravitational pull.

Back