Why i'm a Jimi Hendrix Fan...

Kine

Large Member
Not only did he crush it at playing the guitar. He could also sing very well, and at the same time too...

And...

Last edited:
I was a late bloomer for him...started appreciating him later in life, and now absolutely swear by his "prettier" guitar work...things like Little Wing are gorgeous...quite a waste him going so soon.

Not only did he crush it at playing the guitar. He could also sing very well, and at the same time too...

And...

And he could walk, chew gum, play and sing at the same time, while playing guitar behind his head and with his teeth.

I also have to say that Mitch Mitchell was a fantastic drummer.

His first record came out between my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. Absolutely blew me away, and was an immediate staple in the bands I played in at the time.

I was always more of a Clapton disciple, but when I heard "Are You Experienced", I realized that here was the next quantum leap in the evolution of electric guitar playing. I was in high school at the time, and I could cop some of Clapton's stuff, but Hendrix was completely beyond anything I could play back then. When the Monterey Pop movie came out, I heard "Wild Thing", with Hendrix setting his guitar on fire, and sacrificing musical content for showmanship, and I thought he was some diddy-bop who relied too much on feedback and gimmicks....I didn't realize that he'd already blown people away with his playing, and "Wild Thing" was just the climax of the set. After hearing more live recordings of Jimi, and especially the "Axis Bold As Love" album, I decided that he just might be the best electric guitarist ever. I always wanted to see him in concert and never did. If there's such a thing as reincarnation, it's kind of spooky that Charlie Christian died in 1942, the year Hendrix was born...

I also love how progressive he was in the studio as well as pushing the limits of effecting the guitar. All the official albums are unreal. Electric Ladyland is just an incredible studio production imo.

I was always more of a Clapton disciple, but when I heard "Are You Experienced", I realized that here was the next quantum leap in the evolution of electric guitar playing. I was in high school at the time, and I could cop some of Clapton's stuff, but Hendrix was completely beyond anything I could play back then. When the Monterey Pop movie came out, I heard "Wild Thing", with Hendrix setting his guitar on fire, and sacrificing musical content for showmanship, and I thought he was some diddy-bop who relied too much on feedback and gimmicks....I didn't realize that he'd already blown people away with his playing, and "Wild Thing" was just the climax of the set. After hearing more live recordings of Jimi, and especially the "Axis Bold As Love" album, I decided that he just might be the best electric guitarist ever. I always wanted to see him in concert and never did. If there's such a thing as reincarnation, it's kind of spooky that Charlie Christian died in 1942, the year Hendrix was born...
Very interesting the part about Charlie Christian. I'm a firm believer of Karma and reincarnation.

I think Hendrix may have been the first guitarist to set his guitar on fire. I bet if he had a PRS he would have thought twice about it!
33621556-jpg.jpeg

2294991466_416638c786_o.jpg

I still don't get this. Just like I never got it when The Who would destroy their instruments after a show... All my friends and I would have done just about anything for good instruments when we were kids, and here were people destroying them on purpose.

:dontknow::dontknow:

Jimi Hendrix was truly a rock pioneer....I wish he was still around

Jimi Hendrix was truly a rock pioneer....I wish he was still around
Indeed, I would even consider him the father of Heavy Metal (I could very well be wrong on this). On a bootleg compilation titled Cherokee Mist, there's a tune named Calling All Devil's Children, where he displays what I think is the very beginnings of palm muting and chunky riffing. Turns out this tune is also on the Anthology, West Coast Seattle Boy (available on iTunes).

It's interesting, before he passed he was exploring jazz fusion elements as well (South Saturn Delta for example).

One of my fave tracks is Somewhere Over the Rainbow off the album Crash Landing. I really enjoy the feel he's got going in this one!

It would have been interesting to see where he would have taken things. Untimely passing.

Last edited:
Back