Why I don't like to get rid of guitars (part deux)

aristotle

I haven't been playing as much over the last 9 months or so just due to typical life stuff. Still playing, still playing out...just much less.

During that time frame, I pretty much exclusively played my 30th CU24. Sounds great, plays great, looks great, and covers a bunch of ground. I bring the Vela as a backup, and just as something different to play on occasional songs. No fuss, no muss, and everything is predictable.

Having sorted out some of the life stuff, I have the time to get back into it. I was running late for a gig where we were using the house PA. Since I didn't need to stop off and load up the PA, I didn't feel like going to the warehouse just to grab the CU24 and my MDT. I just grabbed a guitar from home that I hadn't played in over a year and pulled out a Mesa Lonestar from deep in the back of a closet. The lonestar was relegated to the closet because the last few times I used it, it wasn't doing it for me. Figured maybe time for a tube change, or maybe my tastes have just changed.

The guitar was the DG stoptail, and I'm really glad I didn't get rid of it. It killed through the Mesa. Kills through everything. The CU24 will get a break for a while, and I'll probably be saying the same thing about it 6 months from now. Maybe it's just me, but I think that generating the same tone for a period of time gets old, no matter how good the tone is.

Astoria%20Custom%204_zpsas0wvbgv.jpg

I can't imagine selling a PRS. I once traded an SE for another SE and feel kinda guilty about it, I shoulda just bought the other and kept 'em both.

That's a couple of sweet pieces of gear to keep stashed in the closet!

I know the feeling, though. I envy those who can play a "number one" constantly for years. Options are good for my fickle ears and fingers.

Sweet guitars...and of course, that warehouse full o' amps! Looks to me like it's not just guitars you don't like to get rid of... ;)

Speaking of the Lone Star, it's a great amp; maybe it's not quite a "purist's dream amp" like the PRS CAD amps, but it's damned good at the things it does!

In addition to my PRS CAD camps, I have the 2x12 combo Lone Star 100 Watt. My son is on a national tour with his Lone Star (my old Roccaforte is his backup). Come to think of it, they're in NYC tonight, then in Ohio, and Friday they're playing here in Detroit!

In any case, the LS is a totally professional product, works like a charm every single time, and he's been rehearsing and touring with his this entire year with zero problems. I've always liked the way Mesa amps match up with PRS guitars also.

I have a few guitars that I think I'd never sell or trade, but if things change, I'm fully prepared to move them. If it's workin', I keep it. If it's not something I use for a while, I see no need to hang onto it. It's just the way I'm built.

Last edited:
To me, there are keepers and sleepers. I traded a nice Gretsch and a nice g&l for my dgt recently. No regrets.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that generating the same tone for a period of time gets old, no matter how good the tone is.

That sounds a lot like me, I rotate through guitars about every 3 month (and don't get rid of them). "What goes around.......comes back around"
In looking at the picture, I wonder if the same thought logic applies to your amps?

It's nice to come back and visit an old friend you haven't talked to in awhile!

I'm one of those " I never sell anything" folks also. I find it odd that someone sweats for a particular piece, doesn't play it much and out the door it goes. To me that is more guitar trader as hobbiest rather than it is someone that actually plays them for what they are. When you are talking PRS money, I can't let one go. Sometimes I agree, you don't hear what you want out of them but never in my case enough to say, 'you're gone". I just can't bring myself to sell my cheapies much less my PRS. I'm rather encentric that way, heck I still have a 96 HotRod deluxe that looks like it came out of Guitar Center yesterday, I don't use it, it's too loud, but I bought it brand new, and have had it on stage both in Texas and Hawaii and it now resides in my living room cold for the most part. I plug in a guitar once and a while and leave it on for a few hours straight to warm the thing up and get some electrons through it. I'm no Con O' Sewer. Hell, I play a little VOX modeler for the great majority of the time. Yet, I won't sell it either...

I'm one of those " I never sell anything" folks also. I find it odd that someone sweats for a particular piece, doesn't play it much and out the door it goes..

You're right, it'd be odd to sell for that reason, at least for me. I play the ones I have, daily.

What happens in my studio work is that something I need for a paying project comes up, and there are times I'm simply short of cash, and guitars are an easy thing to sell to raise the dough.

Then I regret selling the guitar. It's happened too many times. I'm finally over that.

Heck it only took me 25 years in the business to figure it out!! :top:

Back