Why hardware is the key to great guitar tone

I remember Gibson using plastic (nylon, I think) bridge saddles in the 335 for a while. Some people liked them, but it just seems like a really bad idea. No personal experience there, but I’m not shopping for an opportunity! Seems I remember seeing Joe Bonnamassa with one in a rig rundown somewhere… so maybe it works with enough volume. :)

I remember Gibson using plastic (nylon, I think) bridge saddles in the 335 for a while. Some people liked them, but it just seems like a really bad idea. No personal experience there, but I’m not shopping for an opportunity! Seems I remember seeing Joe Bonnamassa with one in a rig rundown somewhere… so maybe it works with enough volume. :)

You're absolutely right! I've seen them before too, even in the wild not too long back at a vintage shop. I seem to remember the shop owner saying they were to help with string binding?

You're absolutely right! I've seen them before too, even in the wild not too long back at a vintage shop. I seem to remember the shop owner saying they were to help with string binding?
I think so, maybe as a fix for the weirdness of trapeze end pieces or Bigsby trems (ugh). It wasn’t a long-lived idea, for whatever reason.

Gibson switched to nylon saddles on all semi's (Gibson & Epiphones) in 1964 thru to the mid 70's. I use nylon saddles on my 2014 Gibson traditional LP. Like @RickP said a couple Joe Bonamassa semi's feature nylon saddles and at least 2 of his LP's have a mixture of nylon saddles on the low strings and brass on the high ones. I find that the nylon takes away a little of the sharpness of the Gibson "59" Tribute pickups

blasphemy I know but heres mine
50569884407_80340d232c_o.jpg

I firmly believe that the 2 piece bridge on the 594, etc. is the source of much of the clarity on those instruments. Lots of overtones in there. My PRS with the stoptail are a little stronger in the fundamental, more "grunt," which isn't a bad thing either, I'm actually very happy to have both at my disposal because it's all about what the situation calls for.

Back