Why do you think a PRS guitar is the best?

I've owned many-many guitars including Fenders and Gibsons. I've owned a SG for the last 6 years, and keeping it in tune in the studio is a nightmare, I bought 2 prs's in 2011, the tremonti and the soapbar, they are awesome guitars, a week ago I bought a PRS Studio, solana burst 10 top, it's the nicest guitar I've ever had in my life!!! It stays in tune even when I abuse the tremolo, it sounds like the guitar sound of all my favourite records, and it's the most beautifull I've ever owned!!! I'm so happy that Paul and his staff are proud of what they do and try to give the world quality, not many companies today still produce this quality in a product.

Thanks for this forum, I can see we all share the same love for PRS!

I've owned many-many guitars including Fenders and Gibsons. I've owned a SG for the last 6 years, and keeping it in tune in the studio is a nightmare, I bought 2 prs's in 2011, the tremonti and the soapbar, they are awesome guitars, a week ago I bought a PRS Studio, solana burst 10 top, it's the nicest guitar I've ever had in my life!!! It stays in tune even when I abuse the tremolo, it sounds like the guitar sound of all my favourite records, and it's the most beautifull I've ever owned!!! I'm so happy that Paul and his staff are proud of what they do and try to give the world quality, not many companies today still produce this quality in a product.

Thanks for this forum, I can see we all share the same love for PRS!

Thanks for posting, we'd love to have you stick around!

My regretfully sold 1992 CU24 was the first guitars ever had that sounded like 5 DIFFERENT guitars. And it was the first guitar I remember ever feeling like the tone knob made a difference. And that NECK!

I had some nice guitars at the time (335, LP Custom, Strat) and every time I picked up one if those, and then switched back, I kept wondering "what did Paul figure out that nobody else knew" and "what kind of juju did he sprinkle on dis tang?" and such.

I guess my PRS made my other guitars irrelevant. It was the last one I sold when I was unemployed awhile back, and a PRS (SE) was the first one I bought when I started back again. I couldn't afford a Maryland one yet, but the SE Santana blew away everything in the store at twice the price.

I've got a few real nice vintage MIJ Ibanezes too, but they get a lot more case-time than any of my PRSi, and they will be the first to go if I ever come across financial issues again. The PRSi just kinda make them...irrelevant. I enjoy them, but there isn't a ground or space that any of them cover that one of my PRS cannot do better.

The stand out attribute for me is quality. From the first I picked up (1991) to the last (last Saturday :)) they have all been superb quality instruments.

Playability, consistency, tone and quality. There is no other choice and there is no order on my reasons. They are interchangeable.

Thanks for posting, we'd love to have you stick around!

You're Welcome! I took my new Studio to my bassist today to show him my new guitar and he is still freaking out. I recorded layer after layer in the studio yesterday, crazy thing about this guitar is, it sounds bigger then anything I've ever owned, without eating up all the headroom. It's just an amazing guitar, and I can see myself recording with it in even 30 yeard from now.

Blessings to you!

You're Welcome! I took my new Studio to my bassist today to show him my new guitar and he is still freaking out. I recorded layer after layer in the studio yesterday, crazy thing about this guitar is, it sounds bigger then anything I've ever owned, without eating up all the headroom. It's just an amazing guitar, and I can see myself recording with it in even 30 yeard from now.

Blessings to you!

I'd love to hear some of your work. Please post some videos or links.

Im of the same camp as Mr. Mike Garvey...Many years ago, my first guitar was a western auto "Truetone" (my granddad owned a WA)..There was so much space between the strings and the fret board it could have passed for a compound bow.. I then purchase an Ibanez Iceman which was very nice till my roomate in college's girlfriend burned our apt down.(hell hath no fury)..So for 30 years, I gave up.. I was working in South Korea last year on a drillship and one of the senior DPO's recommeded a PRS SE..Saw the Bernie and loved it. Then I watched Bernie play it on You tube, bought it, loved it and today I spent a good part of the afternoon watching Paul on Youtube...No wonder...His philosophy of "It takes just as much effort to build something right as to regurgitate crap with media hype" rang true. I just bought a Dell laptop because of the name and it has been nothing but irrepresible trash. I love my guitar.

My PRS's name is Honey Boo-Boo.

Quite simply, they're the best playing guitars I've run across. I was a die hard old school Fender guy my entire life. Owned some Gibsons but really never got along as well with the shorter scale. I'll admit to being a bit of a reverse guitar snob and falling for the "lawyer/dentist guitar" thing. Playing a couple poorly set up wall hangers at GC didn't help this (how do they manage to destroy such well set up instruments so often?)

Had a guitar issue with my way too pricey vintage Strat at a gig a little over a year ago. The guitarist in the opening band handed me his well loved Custom 22 to finish out my set. I could not believe the difference. I instantly knew that I had been working way too hard to accomplish things that just seemed to happen on this guitar. It was super touch sensitive, the controls worked intuitively and actually did things I wanted them to do. I wasn't retuning it every 2-3 songs. I instantly was able to bond with this guitar and do things it normally takes me some legit "bonding time" to pull off.

A few days later, I picked up a 25th Anniversary 305 as it was the closest thing to what I was used to. It was kind of all over. In the last year I've added a McCarty, a satin singlecut and just bought a new Custom 24 (Faded Blue Jean made me do it). I'm head over heels for the 25" scale and while everything up this latest one has been a wide fat 22 fret, the pattern regular neck feels intuitive and I'm digging a little more room. Even though the hang tag said 10-46 on it, I changed the strings as I couldn't believe I could bend so easily, especially with unreal low action. The 59/09's may be the best pickup I've ever heard for thick bucker tones and convincing splits.

Theres something to be said as a gigging musician for a tool that truly allows me to enjoy my craft more than I ever have before. There's also something to be said for a company whose newest guitars seem to just keep getting better rather than cashing in on brand equity and cutting quality. So short answer long, passion for creating something by musicians, for musicians and understanding what it takes to a great tool is what sets PRS apart from any other big name guitar builder in the business.

My most humble $0.02. Cheers,

Last edited:
Aesthetics- they just look great and timeless. I've yet to encounter a PRS that was half-assed through assembly, be it paint job, frets, etc. They really have been consistent for me, even for owning 3 from 3 different decades! lol
Feel- I've always loved their necks, especially the wide thin/pattern thin necks. They're also not too heavy, either, so I don't have to worry about being weighed down too much if I decide to run around a stage like a complete moron.

Back