Why do we go gaga over Flame Maple tops?

zebraprs

I often sit here and look at all the guitars we all sell back and forth. And I find myself drooling over some of these sick Flame Tops. But why? I don't know.. Are they nice? yes obviously... But really why do we go gaga over Flame Maple? Do you actually look at your guitar when you are platying and go "SWEEEEEEET" or is it for when they are hanging on our wall we can go... Woah!!!!

Well said!

QUOTE=DRM_777;39930]Probably the same reason we like to stare at boobs.......they are awesome to look at![/QUOTE]

I look at my flame tops, and think, "Woah, that looks smoking hot... I need to play it right now!" then pick up the guitar.

Its usually the look that inspires me to play, then because they play so well, it inspires me to look again (different guitar) which inspires me to play again. So the cycle repeats itself.

The few I have are all in different tunings so I can settle on one guitar some days and bounce back and forth others.

I like flame and quilt top but given the choice I have always purchased flame because I think flames look great in every color.

But really why do we go gaga over Flame Maple?

Who knows? But it's obviously fascinated musicians for a long time; here's a Stradivarius from 1704, note the flame back and neck (the top of course is Spruce):

0015v_zps601856dc.jpg

I have a beautiful top on my cu24, I can just stare at that flame for hours. I do the same thing in old houses that have generous amounts of woodwork. We stayed in a B&B mansion last year that had mexican tobasco mahogany. I could not stop looking at it. I go crazy looking at the PS guitars too. I cant explain why.

Human beings have used natural products for a couple of million years; I think there's an almost instinctive attraction we have for unusual beauty in things crafted from nature.

I also think we're naturally attracted to symmetry, and of course bookmatched woods are based on that idea.

Last edited:
I wonder sometimes if it has to do with our natural desire for the best things. It is awesome to own a guitar that is superb in tone, but if it looks good while making that great tone....Then I guess thats like having your cake and eating it too

Amazing, especially when you realize that violin is over 300 years old! My D'Angelico is basically the same woods. I don't play her all that often, but every single time I do, I fall in love with the tone all over again.

Who knows? But it's obviously fascinated musicians for a long time; here's a Stradivarius from 1704, note the flame back and neck (the top of course is Spruce):

0015v_zps601856dc.jpg

Back