Why do some people just suck?

slev

I need to vent a bit. I generally don't whine like this but it's PRS related so I'll share. I just had an email exchange with a local guy on clist who's looking to trade his 06 McCarty. No pics, didn't really describe the condition or any other details well other than the color. He was inviting trades and said to hit him up if you have something to offer. I made an inquiry, asked for some pics and a couple of details on the pickups and neck carve and suggested I might offer my LP Standard, sent a link to some hi-res pics as well.

I get back a terse email from the guy who asks "Why would I ever trade a great guitar for another guitar that does the same thing but nowhere near as well?"

Really? You invite offers and then dump on reasonable offers? I guess I should know better.

Interactions like that really make me appreciate this community and others like VR and TGP.

Maybe he was offended by the lowball offer :dontknow: or maybe he's just like that. :wink:

so then what was he thinking of trading for it-- is there anything that can do it as well as a PRS? ;) was he expecting someone to trade him a custom shop guitar from any manufacturer? the response is kind of a "richard" head response. If it was me I would just kindly say thanks for the offer but not interested in one of those . Thanks -- and leave it at that.

On the bright side, he holds PRSi in high regard, but if he has a trade in mind say so from the start. By your description, I could have offered him my Epi LP. He didn't specify what he would consider. His fault.

I do t think that's an unreasonable offer, especially compared to some of the downright insulting offers I've gotten on CL.

When I saw the thread title, I thought the answer was going to be something like "because they're not ready for something more serious..." :vroam:

Sounds like an overreaction based on your description - it doesn't sound like you said "LP for McCarty", just that it was a possibility. Sometimes, dude, it's just not worth dealing with people who react like that.

Must be in the air today slev :laugh: - I'm looking too and I keep seeing FS ads with FIRM in them. And for some reason it's really rubbing me the wrong way... So if you say 1000 FIRM and I did happen to offer 999 - you're going to say no? Oh you'd take that... then it's not firm....:tongue: It's best reasonable offer!:wink:

I hit a guy up with a trade plus cash offer - he asked for trades but his cash price was FIRM. Then he wants to go back and forth on the cash amount - so he's not FIRM. Normally I'd be all over it but because he said FIRM - I made my best offer up front. :redface:

I don't get why - if you really want to sell something - that you won't want a reasonable offer ? :iamconfused: Out of respect - if they say "firm" - I WILL NOT send them an offer. It's their right and I get that... I just don't understand why anybody would put something in an ad that might be off-putting :dontknow:

Okay done venting... I feel better! :D

On the up side I did buy TWO amps this week! Two deals out of three isn't bad! :D

Last edited:
Back