Why do people back out of agreed to deals?

Snoopygore71

Land Of Oz
So I respond to a forum here in Australia to a gent who wants a Tremonti. I offer my 2010 McCarty burst and send pics and phone number. All agreed to with a price reduction, then nothing, will not respond to calls or text messages.:mad:

Later I see on a PRS owner Facebook site - same gent bought a Tremonti blah blah, bought it at xx price. I restrained myself by not replying to his post and calling him out.:rolleyes:

I am not bothered that he did not want the guitar, just frustrated at the lack of common courtesy advising people of a changed mind, not hiding away.

Just venting - Tremonti $$ would go to hunting down a 2008-2011 CU24 fixed bridge.:Do_O

Reality can be cruel sometimes and for some people fantasy land is the only alternative they will ever have. You did well not to call this guy out. Did he post the photographs you sent to him on Facebook too?

I see. There have been a few instances where this has happened to me too. I have backed away from some deals at the last minute myself but I have never severed communication without some kind of explanation. Maybe this person doesn't know how to, or feels uncomfortable simply saying "sorry but I have changed my mind about this".

I'm pretty cynical about this kind of stuff. I want to believe that everyone I meet will be a cool person, but even just a short walk down the street can disprove that notion.

Because: people.

Look on the bright side. You didn't send the guitar and then get ripped off. It could be far worse. You still have the guitar to sell and only lost some time and a little faith in your fellow human beings.

Get back on your horse and re-list. Just be aware that people have their own agendas and standards for what they think is acceptable behavior. Selling stuff to strangers can take quite a bit of fortitude. Selling stuff to friends and relatives can ironically be even worse.

Good luck. Don't let the tire-kickers get you down.

Oh, and it serves absolutely no purpose to call the guy out. You aren't going to change the outcome. You aren't going to change him. You aren't going to feel better. It will still suck.

Move on to the next guy and find your Tremonti a nice home.

Yes, there is a bright side to the story in that he did not send the guitar and be ripped off: Guitar not arrived, credit card chargeback, etc. It is my understanding that the OP did not list the guitar as for sale but responded to someone looking for this particular model. It was the abrupt end to the negotiations that he understandably felt frustrated with. To be so close to the finish line and then hear nothing again . . . well, we can only but ponder what kind of an upbringing the potential buyer had. Bad manners at best. And I agree, it would serve little purpose calling the guy out. Accusers will often reveal more about themselves than their victims.

+ 10 to the comments already posted. Not worth your time. Find a buyer for yours and get psyched for the inbound CU24 ;)

I'm experiencing the same in TGP currently. Im selling 2 PRS guitars in the emporium right now and there a lot of inquiries and asking for a discount and I answer them as much as I could, politely, and they never respond back. I know thats how the market is where tire kickers are a-plenty, but as adults Id expect at least a "Thank you". Because I do when I'm in the market and tell the seller that I changed my mind and such. Common courtesy is not apparently common.

Man, you guys must have had different high school dating experiences than I did if this sort of thing comes as a shock. Date agreed to, but just need to make a quick call to set the time...and then crickets. Doesn't mean that all women stink, or even that those blowing me off stink (some of them seemed to smell rather nice if memory serves...)

I chalk this sort of thing up to people in general wanting to avoid conflict rather than something brought on by being raised by Squeaky Fromme and Charles Manson.

If I were a seller, and somebody had agreed to a price with me, but then messaged me that in the mean time that a deal had come up that was better for him / her, I'd encourage him/her to take the better deal with no hard feelings. A deal ain't over 'till it's over. I'd totally get it though if he / she didn't want to risk the possibility of me making a fuss about it. No response in a day or two, and I figure that one way or the other, something came up...

Man, you guys must have had different high school dating experiences than I did if this sort of thing comes as a shock. Date agreed to, but just need to make a quick call to set the time...and then crickets. Doesn't mean that all women stink, or even that those blowing me off stink (some of them seemed to smell rather nice if memory serves...)

I chalk this sort of thing up to people in general wanting to avoid conflict rather than something brought on by being raised by Squeaky Fromme and Charles Manson.

If I were a seller, and somebody had agreed to a price with me, but then messaged me that in the mean time that a deal had come up that was better for him / her, I'd encourage him/her to take the better deal with no hard feelings. A deal ain't over 'till it's over. I'd totally get it though if he / she didn't want to risk the possibility of me making a fuss about it. No response in a day or two, and I figure that one way or the other, something came up...

Well said, and great outlook!

True, just was bummed when I wrote the post. But I raise the issue as it goes to the heart of how you conduct business. I will be much more circumspect next time.

To be honest it does not bother me at all when a deal comes to an end with no word from the other end. Done many deals and I am used to it. I look on the bright side and be glad not to have exchanged money either way with someone so discourteous and ignorant. Probably spares headaches post sale too.

I've done a LOT of deals through Craigslist and other places too. It seems to me that there are just some seriously bored individuals who are entertained through the thole deal making but then when it comes time to show their hand they vanish. I write lengthy ads which anticipate nearly any possible question a buyer might have in advance and then evaluate the contacts carefully based upon whether I think they read the ad or not and try to judge their level of seriousness about the thing I'm selling. I'm pretty good at screening people but a few tire kicking time wasters do make it past my defenses every once in a while. I guess the important thing is to always make sure you are protected when you take a blow from a time waster so that all you loose is time and effort.

Back