why didn't anybody tell me?

horax

Why didn't anybody tell me these PRS guitars were so good?

I had heard rumors, but all I could get my hands on were SE models. while the SE's were great, they weren't good enough to make me turn away from my long loved USA Fender Telecasters. I still love teles, but I'm in full fledged PRS mode now.

I went to my local GC last night for strings. While I was there, I looked around for something to mess wtih. I found a total of two PRS guitars. Both were about 3500.00 McCarty's. I decided to plug in the prettier one with ebony fretboard and abalone inlays.

HOLY POOP!!!

This was by far the BEST guitar I've ever held or played. The coil tapping was really good, unlike other brands I've tried with tapping. The neck was sweet! I've always felt that the SE necks and finishes felt really plastic like, and this one was just amazing!

When I put it back, I noticed a $5500.00 Custom Shop Merle Haggard tele hanging right next to it. I picked it up and checked it out. Didn't even plug it in! It felt simply 'ok' next to the PRS and I had no desire to play it. Beautiful tele, but it felt (to me) like a Squier Classic Vibe. Didn't feel as nice as my USA Standard Tele or Brad Paisley tele.

I am buying a new guitar in July (reward from the wife for painting hte inside of our house), but she's only given me a budget of $1500 to spend. I'd love a USA PRS...she prefers singlecuts to the doubles....

What would you suggest for getting the best PRS I could afford?

HOLY POOP!!!

Them's purdy strong words, mister...;)

With your budget, if you want a USA core model, You're gonna have to snoop around the used market. Used PRS guitars are generally a great value. Check reverb.com once you've settled on a couple of models.

And, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
How would you compare the FEEL of the S2 vs the Core?
I know CORE models have higher end electronics and pickups....and I know the S2
are made in USA in it's own factory in Maryland.

I'm sure the S2 doesn't compare with the Core, but for those who have played both, what's the FEEL comparison?

At $1500 you're in S2 territory if you want something new. Great guitars, US made. Will have some import parts (pick ups, bridge, etc). Real solid players and way more guitar than the asking price. If you're ok with used, as the others have pointed out, you can find some great deals with a little patience, and a keen eye.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you found the Kool-Aid tasty!

last post prior to showing the link to the actual guitar

So this is the actual guitar...wish the pix were better, but DANG!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PRS/Mccarty-594-Artist-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

000000113656268-00-500x500.jpg

McCt594APESB-large.jpg

I'd STRONGLY recommend trying out a Vela. If you're a Tele guy, I have a sneaking suspicion you'll love the Vela. It's a two pickup guitar with a D type pickup in the neck that gives it a lot of bite and twang. It's not as muddy as the standard Tele neck pickup; it's snappier.

The bridge double coil can be tapped. No, it's not a Tele bridge pickup sound. It's in the same neighborhood, but not as "bitey". So, the Vela neck is snappier than the Tele and the Vela bridge is less "bitey". Tone is hard to describe, but if you're a Tele guy this will hopefully make some sense.

I have an American Deluxe Tele, an American Elite Strat, a Gibson CS 339 and a PRS Hollowbody II Artist package in addition to the Vela. I can't put the Vela down. I bought it about a month ago, and it's the first guitar I reach for when I play. There's something about it that just speaks to me. It plays amazing. It's got a really unique tone that's a weird combo of Tele, Strat and LP that creates its own voice.

It's absolutely not as pretty as a core model PRS. BUt it's well thought out, it plays every bit as well as a core model and it has a unique and different tone while being oddly familiar at the same time.

Give one a try. It might be right up your alley, and it's absolutely in your price range (actually a good deal below your max).

How would you compare the FEEL of the S2 vs the Core?
I know CORE models have higher end electronics and pickups....and I know the S2
are made in USA in it's own factory in Maryland.

I'm sure the S2 doesn't compare with the Core, but for those who have played both, what's the FEEL comparison?

S2 is closer to the 'Core' models than SE is to S2. plus easy (and fun!) to upgrade over time. The difference is exactly what you experienced, the feel and resonance.

I have said it a million times - the S2 is great for the money, but if you fell in LOVE with that McCarty, take your budget and buy a used Core. With $1500 you can get a pretty nice Singlecut - if you shop around reverb, or wait one out at GC (at 90 days they will do a price drop - I have scored MANY killer PRS this way) .

I have said it a million times - the S2 is great for the money, but if you fell in LOVE with that McCarty, take your budget and buy a used Core. With $1500 you can get a pretty nice Singlecut - if you shop around reverb, or wait one out at GC (at 90 days they will do a price drop - I have scored MANY killer PRS this way) .

Well naturally this would be the best way to go. Just hope to find something

Artist Package are upgrades to the core models. Artist tops are a step above 10 top. They have crazy cool wood for the necks, they have some color options that are not part of the standard core range. They usually have the hybrid color hardware (combination of gold and chrome). In general, it goes this way for US made guitars:

• S2
  • Core
  • Core 10 Top
  • Artist Package
  • Private Stock
Think of Artist Package as the top of line factory production guitars while Private Stock are custom made instruments.

You'll also see Wood Library at times. These are special runs where a retailer will come to Maryland, go into the "special wood vault" and select specific pieces of wood to be used for a guitar. Somebody may correct me if this is inaccurate, but Wood Library and Artist Package are similar in terms of wood selection. The Wood Library guitars are special order while the Artist Package guitars may not necessarily be a special order.

A good interior paint job in my area is a $5,000 - $10,000 cost, depending on the size of the house (just had mine done).

You deserve a guitar of equal value for your work on your house! Equal pay for equal work!

Therefore, your wife will be convinced to let you get spendy on the Core model, right? :)

(Might want to march around with a sign for a few hours.)

Back