Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?

Because they 'work' for me and I have never been a 'fan' of Fender myself. I don't think you 'need' a Fender to get a great Single coil sound that can also sound 'great' playing songs famously played on 'Fender' guitars when players had 'little' choice and made do with what they had, could afford and/or they could 'borrow' in the studio or get on tour.

I think it matters more that you have something you feel most 'comfortable' with and you can get your notes/chords/melodies etc out in a 'pleasing' way for your 'audience' (whether that's just you in your room or massive stadium crowds) to enjoy. I don't 'need' to have a Fender Strat to play 'any' song regardless of what guitar created the 'sound' on the record (through a specific rig, amp, cab, mic whatever post processing went on) but I can 'choose' to sound very similar with 'Split' HB's or opt to use HB's to give it something 'different', my take on it with the 'instrument' I felt most 'comfortable' to use.

Prior to PRS I used a Jackson PC1 for 16 years. I was flirting with EBMM guitars, but decided I wanted 22 frets and a fatter neck. Landed an SC245 57/08 LTD for $1499 and was SOLD. Dumped the Jacksons I had and the EBMM guitars and went whole hog PRS. Had a lot of nice ones. The charm has kind of worn off because of my ME-V. It feels dead in my hands, and (immaturely) I am really put off by how many ME-Vs they released RIGHT after the EXP 2020 Limited models (which I scrambled to get so I could have one - then for it to be the crappiest PRS I've ever owned....). You know your $5500 guitar sucks when your $599 import rings better and has livelier tone.

Meh. Still like lots of the ones I had.

I prefer oranges over apples.
Sure...why not? I'm sure Paul has even more than one of each.

Wonder if he has a real '59 Les Paul?

I'm sure he could afford one.
As I understand it, he did, and used it to get the 24.594 scale length measurement. But I don't know if he still does.

Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?​

I didn't...

These are my Strats:
TXUzvRs.jpg

And these are my Tele's:
7rWtO7n.jpg

(*the best Tele pickups Fender ever made are the Select series pups, imho)

These guitars are every bit as toneful, as playable, as beautiful and as loved as my many PRS'... but they were admittedly a little bit harder to find...

It's interesting some posted they don't like the Fender scale length (presumably being used to 24.75" and thereabouts), but are evidently good with PRS' 25"; while I am used to 25.5" scale guitars, am also good with my PRS, yet never quite bonded with my only 24.75" scale guitar. (Although I think its far darker sound has more to do with it than the feel). So PRS' standard scale length works for about everyone?

As I'm currently paring down to a Mira, Strat, Tele, and 000 acoustic, I guess I still can't choose between the PRS and Fenders.

Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?​

I didn't...

These are my Strats:
TXUzvRs.jpg

And these are my Tele's:
7rWtO7n.jpg

(*the best Tele pickups Fender ever made are the Select series pups, imho)

These guitars are every bit as toneful, as playable, as beautiful and as loved as my many PRS'... but they were admittedly a little bit harder to find...
Groovy! I've always been curious about the Fender Select series and have wondered if Hamer's wood stocks were used. (Since FMIC acquired Hamer for a time and has since sold it).

I was mostly a Fender guy when I got my first PRS. I also had some Gibson guitars. I just loved the shape and look of the PRS with the birds on it the first time I saw one. I really wanted one but couldn't afford it. When I finally got the funds in life to be able to afford one, I bought the one I really wanted, a Dark Cherry burst CU22. I still have the guitar. I then bought a CU24 the same year, which I also still have. Both are 2006 models and 10 tops. It snowballed from there and I have a pretty good stock of PRS guitars now.

The charm has kind of worn off because of my ME-V. It feels dead in my hands, and (immaturely) I am really put off by how many ME-Vs they released RIGHT after the EXP 2020 Limited models (which I scrambled to get so I could have one - then for it to be the crappiest PRS I've ever owned....). You know your $5500 guitar sucks when your $599 import rings better and has livelier tone.
Ouch! Surprised to hear this, Mark. You were HARD in honeymoon phase with that ME-V for quite awhile, IIRC.

Ouch! Surprised to hear this, Mark. You were HARD in honeymoon phase with that ME-V for quite awhile, IIRC.

Yeah. I still play it. If it's the ONLY guitar I play I can get used to it. But that 57/08 loaded SE245 is WAY livelier. I recently got another Fender Esquire and that guitar (while brighter than I like - must have the wrong pickup in it) is very alive too.

I am not sure what it is with the ME-V but the strings just don't ring out and the neck/body don't vibrate like every other PRS I've owned. I'm talking acoustically. While I can do radical things with EQ and gain stages to bring the guitar to life when plugged in, I still feel that muted vibration when playing it.

It is really a shame. Been thinking about moving it for anothet model - a 594 or something - but there are so many ME-Vs out there now that I fear that the value will have decreased. Meh. I feel stuck with it, know what I mean?

Yeah. I still play it. If it's the ONLY guitar I play I can get used to it. But that 57/08 loaded SE245 is WAY livelier. I recently got another Fender Esquire and that guitar (while brighter than I like - must have the wrong pickup in it) is very alive too.

I am not sure what it is with the ME-V but the strings just don't ring out and the neck/body don't vibrate like every other PRS I've owned. I'm talking acoustically. While I can do radical things with EQ and gain stages to bring the guitar to life when plugged in, I still feel that muted vibration when playing it.

It is really a shame. Been thinking about moving it for anothet model - a 594 or something - but there are so many ME-Vs out there now that I fear that the value will have decreased. Meh. I feel stuck with it, know what I mean?
Yeah, I get it. It's almost too hi-fi, or something. Too pristine sounding. I dunno. I moved on from mine. Great guitar, I just liked others better.

My reason was; I couldn't afford both. I'm predominantly a high-gain player so I have parted with my Stratocaster to get a second PRS.

I can see myself buying a proper Strat or 62 double-bound Tele again eventually.

Back