Why did you choose the hollowbody you did, and if it's the 594, do you wish you had a piezo?

I chose the HBii with Piezo because it was the only Hollowbody available at the time and it came with a Piezo. When the 594 HBii launched, I bought one of those two as it has Coil Splitting options but both have the 58/15 LT's.

They are slightly different but whether that's the TCI, scale length or Nitro over Cab finish the 594HB has or just the variation you'd expect between instruments, I don't know (or care) both sound amazing and interchangeable to me - just depends on whether I want/need to use Piezo or Coil Splits...

My Hollowbody II with a 1 piece top...
UzQSZTB.jpg

My 594 Hollowbody...
vTZuoJh.jpg

So I'd say you either buy depending on whether you want Piezo or Coil Splits - or get BOTH!

The other option is to go Private Stock like Tim Pierce and combine both...
Any sound difference going through a clean amp with the neck pickup? Any difference in string bending with the two difference bridge setup?

Any sound difference going through a clean amp with the neck pickup? Any difference in string bending with the two difference bridge setup?
Of course there are 'differences' but how much of that is down to the different bridge, scale length, finish, TCI process etc as well as the fact its made of 'natural' materials that have their own 'unique' variations too. As for bending, yes it does feel a 'bit' different but is that the bridge, the scale length, the 'strings' (as the HBii comes with 11's and a wound 3rd as standard), the different neck carve/thickness etc or combination of all those differences.

Sound is extremely difficult to quantify so whilst there is a difference, for me, that difference isn't like a Strat vs LP tonal difference, its much closer than that. You can pick up two 'identical' Les Paul guitars, made in the same factory at around the same time and both can sound quite different - one may 'bark', the other more 'honk' (the way the underlying tone sounds) for example yet have the same pups too.

With my two HB's, there are differences but they are still 'close enough' to each other that I could easily interchange them without needing to completely change my EQ settings. I'd be lying if I said they sound 'exactly' the same but the reality for me is that unless I want Split coils or Piezo, it doesn't matter to me which guitar I play.

Your may be far more 'picky' than I am and feel that difference is 'too' significant for you, but for me, its not significant enough to make me really consider which guitar to play...

I have the SE HB2 Piezo and I absolutely love blending in a tiny bit of the piezo with the mags when playing clean. It really gives the guitar just a little bit of brightness and sparkle that sounds really lovely.

If I ever get a core, I'll be super tempted by the 594 scale length - I definitely prefer shorter scales. But as soon as I figured out how much I liked the clean neck pickup + piezo (with the piezo volume at 3 or 4) ... my opinion may be changing. It honestly makes me jones for a quality single-coil guitar much less.

Because I’ve always wanted a Spruce HB even back to the early 2000’s. I’m glad it’s not a piezo, as I like the simplicity of the HB I. Swapping in the 57/08 59/09 combo was a really nice upgrade as well.
I have a spruce HB I that I purchased in 2009. The only things I have replaced were the frets (after 2 fret dresses) and the saddle. I have never thought about adding a piezo to the guitar. Love the archtop pickups.

DSCN2610.jpg

I don't often use the Piezo on my HB2, but when I do it's blended, never use it on it's own, I have no need to.
I personally wouldn't buy a 594, because I hate where the switch selector is on the double cuts, I think they look horrible. I use my LP if I need that volume/tone configuration.

I have a spruce HB I that I purchased in 2009. The only things I have replaced were the frets (after 2 fret dresses) and the saddle. I have never thought about adding a piezo to the guitar. Love the archtop pickups.

DSCN2610.jpg

The Archtops are nice, don’t get me wrong. However, the Early 57/08 & 59/09 combo take it to a different level.

Piezo is great. It does a lovely job (as people have said) in letting you blend in another tone with your mag pups.
It also fills in live for some acoustic sounding parts without switching guitars.
Is it a total replacement for an acoustic? NO! It can work for a live situation, but I would not depend on it for recording.
That said, tone is in the ear of the beholder.
I have a P22 which does that hybrid thing perfectly.
I got a 594 HB to do the hollowbody thing.
My Kemper can make all my guitars sound piezo anyway.

And the P22

I don't know what people expect from a 'Piezo' - its obviously not the 'same' sound as putting a mic in front of an Acoustic and recording whatever that mic picks up in that specific position, but for a lot of 'stage' musicians who want an 'Acoustic' like sound, they may well use a Piezo pick-up plugged into an Acoustic and that sounds very similar to a Hollowbody Piezo. Its not that dissimilar.

If I was a 'recording' artist, then I'd probably rather set up a 'mic' to record the guitar, maybe a second mic and/or a direct Piezo recording to create a 'blend' to get the 'perfect' sound required but then if I were to play on stage, I'd probably just take the HB2 and use the Piezo for Acoustic parts and have the Magnetics too without needing to swap instruments or have an Acoustic mounted to a stand with a 'mic' fixed in front at the 'perfect' spot to use.

A Piezo generally sounds like an 'acoustic' because a lot of Acoustics have Piezo pups - if you choose to plug them in rather than go to the effort of micing. That sound has become associated more with acoustics for this reason and I think the HB2 competes very well with even high-end Acoustics plugged in.

This is a comparison between the SE HB2 and a Taylor 317e - apart from the 'lack' of String Squeak (preferable to me), the HB2 sounds great and very 'acoustic' like to me.

I remember when the Parker Fly released, the first guitar I played with a Piezo and marketed as able to deliver 'acoustic' tones for gigging. That versatility impressed me back then

I don't know what people expect from a 'Piezo' - its obviously not the 'same' sound as putting a mic in front of an Acoustic and recording whatever that mic picks up in that specific position, but for a lot of 'stage' musicians who want an 'Acoustic' like sound, they may well use a Piezo pick-up plugged into an Acoustic and that sounds very similar to a Hollowbody Piezo. Its not that dissimilar.

If I was a 'recording' artist, then I'd probably rather set up a 'mic' to record the guitar, maybe a second mic and/or a direct Piezo recording to create a 'blend' to get the 'perfect' sound required but then if I were to play on stage, I'd probably just take the HB2 and use the Piezo for Acoustic parts and have the Magnetics too without needing to swap instruments or have an Acoustic mounted to a stand with a 'mic' fixed in front at the 'perfect' spot to use.

A Piezo generally sounds like an 'acoustic' because a lot of Acoustics have Piezo pups - if you choose to plug them in rather than go to the effort of micing. That sound has become associated more with acoustics for this reason and I think the HB2 competes very well with even high-end Acoustics plugged in.
This. An acoustic guitar with piezo plugged in doesn't sound the same as an acoustic guitar into a (high quality) mic (or your ears in the room). The best sounding acoustic guitars plugged in use internal mic systems, IMHO.

The Piezos on HB-type electric guitars do a fair job of sounding close enough to an acoustic plugged in that I rarely gig with a full-sized acoustic.

When I record acoustic guitar for our albums, I try to record both via mic and DI, and I will blend in the mix depending on what I am trying to achieve, just like you suggest.

And putting an electric guitar's piezo through an acoustic modeler like a Fishman Aura can have some really nice results.

The Aura also helps a lot with acoustics and their piezos.

It can also sound like garbage. My Core Angelus sounds terrible through the few models I've played with on my Aura. It's like it takes away entire sections of the frequency response. But put my P245SH or HBII through it, and it sounds "more acoustic" than straight DI for those guitars.

And finally, in a live band mix I would bet most of the audience wouldn't know what type of guitar, piezo or not, you were playing if they didn't have the visual cue. Guitar sounds are a lot like wine - you've already decided what it will taste like before you even open the bottle.

When I spec'd out my Private Stock Custom 24 Semi-Hollow, I specifically chose NOT to have them install a piezo. I actually dislike piezo systems. They don't sound any more like a realistic acoustic guitar than a good acoustic simulator pedal does, and I prefer not to rely on batteries if I don't have to.

Long ago I had a Hollow-body McCarty II that was a beautiful Cherry Red guitar but the neck was just too d*mn wide for my hands - I tried to adapt to it for 3 years and finally sold it. It did not have the piezo. I've settled on a Gibson CS336, solid carved maple top and solid mahogany sides/back. I put Fralin P92's in it for some P90 type voicing that the P92's do so well - It's a long-term keeper: and again no piezo. I have a Partscaster that I put a Graphtech Ghost Piezo system in, it's great but you have to use an ABY pedal to send the piezo to an acoustic amp to get it to sound best - or a Rivera Sedona amp (I have a Sedona 55 for many years).
Watch your eyes, a non-PRS photo is attached:
f43HCKj.jpg

I bought the Piezo because I wanted the additional blend of acoustic tone but still wanted the mags to go along with it. Some others that have them have said the Piezo is plenty hot, and I would certainly agree with that assessment, but it's not outrageous or overbearing (my opinion). For lots of what I'm playing it for it's is exactly what I was searching for, but I do long for another amp to get the most out of it for my needs/wants. I've mentioned the Archon before and I'm seriously Jonesing (pun intended) for one. Some things about the mags I'm not totally keen on (I need to spend more time experimenting with them, only had the guitar for a month), but the Piezo is so far really hitting the mark for me. Just like my other PRS, the guitar "feels" right to me, and with time and some more settings/effects in the mix, I think I have exactly what I was hoping for. For availability reasons I had to buy the guitar "blind" but I'm pretty sure I hit a bullseye with it.

This is a comparison between the SE HB2 and a Taylor 317e - apart from the 'lack' of String Squeak (preferable to me), the HB2 sounds great and very 'acoustic' like to me.

I remember when the Parker Fly released, the first guitar I played with a Piezo and marketed as able to deliver 'acoustic' tones for gigging. That versatility impressed me back then

I guessed the acoustic on the “blind test” because of the string noise. There was a tonal difference also.

The SE and Core were a little harder to differentiate. That could have been to do with how the controls were set.

The following combines guitar p*rn, exquisite playing and a prime example of a well placed mic

I guessed the acoustic on the “blind test” because of the string noise. There was a tonal difference also.

That's what gave it away for me. The 'Acoustic' has that string squeal noise that made it easy to tell them apart. The SE/Core was more difficult a test but they all sounded like a 'plugged in' Acoustic - which is the attraction of a Piezo in an Electric guitar. You don't get Magnetics on an acoustic and would feedback if they did, so a HB2 with Piezo gives me that plugged in acoustic and ES-335 like Electric guitar all in one 'lightweight' instrument.

For recording purposes, it may not be 'the best' option to give the Acoustic in the room like sound but for performing/stage, its a lot easier than having to swap guitars or have one fixed to a stand. Pros and Cons to both and it should come down to the individual as they have their own needs, preferences, situation and budgets so have to decide which will suit them the best...

@Bowtiefanatc now has my Spruce.

I wanted that guitar for like 20 years (and only traded it for a guitar I’d wanted for 25 years). I wanted the Spruce HBI because they sound better and I’d love to hear it now with his pup swap.

Piezos are awful (my opinion YMMV) sounding and sound as much like a real acoustic guitar as a synth sounds like a real sexaphone.
I'm with ya, I detest the sound of piezos! Very bad. I don't care who plays 'em.

And I have a PS with one. I took the batteries out. I don't understand why anyone would want a piezo, and I have one of the better ones in that guitar.

They sound nothing like an acoustic. Like you, I've also yet to find a synth or sample that sounds remotely like a sax.

I had a core Hollowbody spruce and found the tone to bright for my liking. The solution was to get an SE Hollow body with a piezo. I actually prefer the sound of a plywood archtop unless I’m playing big band. This fall I’ll be playing the musical “Heathers.” There’s no room in the pit, so I can use this one guitar to get all the sounds I need. The big question is whether or not I use half rounds. I’ll try a set before the run starts.

I'm with ya, I detest the sound of piezos! Very bad. I don't care who plays 'em.

And I have a PS with one. I took the batteries out. I don't understand why anyone would want a piezo, and I have one of the better ones in that guitar.

They sound nothing like an acoustic. Like you, I've also yet to find a synth or sample that sounds remotely like a sax.
Oh, absolutely.

Look, I really want somebody to come up with a creative use for a piezo that makes me admit I was wrong. I love to be proven I’m a buster, it helps me grow as a human.

But I’m about as amazed by an electric guitarist switching to a piezo to do “acoustic” tones as I am by a f@ckin’ magician pulling a coin out of my ear. :p:cool:

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to record with one.

Back