Why did I ever sell it! Let's hear about you're error in judgment.

Charlie

Last summer I was flipping through Guitar Aficionado and had a OMG moment. There was an article of a special Gretsch Sam Goody Model guitar http://tablet.guitaraficionado.com/...odel-review/#!/entry/4f5a228aecb7a0e66f18cb2f , the same one my parents bought me in 1969 and I sold in 1973 for $100! Aghhhhh. Who knew it would ever be considered rare or worth $5,000! But, I kept my pre-lawsuit Sango Gibson copy bass from 1977 - which I paid $100 for and now it's worth $250. Ouch.

Last edited:
Biggest regret...gorgeous red flame 10 top studio, old school HSS , only because another PRS came through the store...but can't keep 'Em all!!

I sold my first PRS after having it about 15 years..... a Cu22.

I purchased this from the infamous Ed Roman, was told it was a McCarty, and I did not know better for years. It is a 96, had McCarty switching and McCarty pickups, a stoptail and winged locking tuners, 10 top and birds. Not sure if it was modded by the Leprechaun or a 1 off from the factory. Great sounding and playing guitar.

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

My old 89 Ibanez sabre custom shop and a USA model. Sold it because I needed money for a car ,stupid me. The guy I sold it to still has it....hmmmmm

I've kept all of the really spectacular guitars I've ever owned except for one. That SAS with a flame maple neck and one piece body found a happy home with Hans. All of the others I've sold didn't measure up to the great ones I've kept, so I don't miss them.

I've kept all of the really spectacular guitars I've ever owned except for one. That SAS with a flame maple neck and one piece body found a happy home with Hans. All of the others I've sold didn't measure up to the great ones I've kept, so I don't miss them.
And may I say again... THANK YOU for selling it to me. I put some fresh strings on it last night and played it until 2AM. I love this guitar.

It was good when I got it but the artist tweaks and uncovered zebra 53/10's put it over the top. This is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I've ever owned.

PRS_SAS_Front.jpg

For me it was this one. 68 SG Special. Quite rare, as word has it Pete Townshend smashed most of them made that year :)

I paid top money for it, then someone made a comment about it. The comment stuck in my head and I persuaded myself I didn't like the guitar and I sold it at a loss. Of course, within a few weeks I was kicking myself.

SG68.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46879 said:
And may I say again... THANK YOU for selling it to me. I put some fresh strings on it last night and played it until 2AM. I love this guitar.

It was good when I got it but the artist tweaks and uncovered zebra 53/10's put it over the top. This is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I've ever owned.

PRS_SAS_Front.jpg

Love the truss rod cover. You stopped at 15, right?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46879 said:

PRS_SAS_Front.jpg

That is a pretty one! You wouldn't still have the original neck pickup, would you? I've never owned a SAS, but my dad had one for a while (traded it for a Hiland) and it had the sweetest neck pup sound I've ever heard. I'm not sure what the stock pickup is, but I would just sit and noodle for ever on that thing.

One of my worst habits is selling good stuff. I sold this Strad in 1720 for 10 Papal Scudos. What was I thinking? Today, it's worth millions.

But I needed the money to buy myself out of a little jam I'd gotten into with a local girl, so...

0015v_zps601856dc.jpg

Here I am with a different one a few years earlier:

gerrit-van-honthorst-the-merry-fiddler-1339925983_b_zps08d9b4de.jpg

Last edited:
I don't regret selling any of my guitars, but if I could get one back I'd choose the McRosie with moons on the left below. I fitted it with Bare Knuckle Holydiver pickups and it was a great guitar. It ended up in Germany after I sold it on eBay...

McRosies.jpg

That is a pretty one! You wouldn't still have the original neck pickup, would you? I've never owned a SAS, but my dad had one for a while (traded it for a Hiland) and it had the sweetest neck pup sound I've ever heard. I'm not sure what the stock pickup is, but I would just sit and noodle for ever on that thing.

I think the original SAS's had McCarty pickups in the neck and bridge.

I had a vintage cherry one (shocker), similar to the one above but with a rosewood board. First PRS I ordered new, but it came in with moons instead of birds.

I think the original SAS's had McCarty pickups in the neck and bridge.

I had a vintage cherry one (shocker), similar to the one above but with a rosewood board. First PRS I ordered new, but it came in with moons instead of birds.

Thanks for the pickup info. Anyone got a McCarty neck they don't want? Hey Sergio, if that one doesn't work out, let me know!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46994 said:
Sorry, I don't I sold the pups to help pay for the PTC upgrades.

No worries. I figured it was worth a shot.

No guitars really. I had an early 70's Marshall super trem head that I traded away because I needed high gain at the time. I couldn't afford 2 amps back then. I wouldn't mind having it back, but not enough to repurchase at current market value.

I don't have any pictures, but I let go a Maple-Top Standard 24 Stoptail. It was a guitar that was originally slated to be a CU24, but someone at PRS decided the top wasn't impressive enough and painted it a solid colour. It was a funky looking seafoam green-ish colour and had birds with the 5-way rotary and a stoptail. I let it go to get a HBII that was a really great deal.

I still have the HBII and it's a great guitar that I still love. I wish I would have had the money to keep both at the time. Shortly after I let the maple-top stoptail Standard 24 go, PRS stopped offering stoptail as an option on 24 fret guitars (making me a very sad panda). :(

I sold a 68 Les Paul years ago for chump change. Who knew? :)

The other big regret was a 72 Les Paul Deluxe. It had been mangled...Schaller tuners, routed for humbuckers, pancake body. But that was my main guitar for years. I sold it several years ago to finance my 59RI. That guitar is a much better instrument. But I would like that old Deluxe back...

Back