why can't we just upload pics from our phones ??

prs.ssf

new guy question here ....... i am rarely on my computer but would love to post some of my pics of my PRS guitars .... is there a logical reason we can't just upload images from our phones like we do on facebook, twitter and basically everywhere else ??? why go through a third party on the internet ?? the forum let me use a pic from my phone to set up my profile pic (PS#2707) ..... hmmmmm

it just seems like there must be a reason

thanks
patrick

It's because PRS doesn't want to have to pay to store and maintain all that data. Facebook, Twitter, etc all have servers where that info gets stored. Essentially, by going through a third party such as Photobucket, Photobucket maintains those servers and you get to post your picture wherever you want.

It's because PRS doesn't want to have to pay to store and maintain all that data. Facebook, Twitter, etc all have servers where that info gets stored. Essentially, by going through a third party such as Photobucket, Photobucket maintains those servers and you get to post your picture wherever you want.

Well said. Third party hosting of pics helps keep the cost down for PRS to be able to keep hosting us. For avatar pics, it's only one low resolution image per user, which keeps the data burden under control. It's also handy to host your pics on a hosting site like Photobucket. It centralizes your control of your content.

Well said. Third party hosting of pics helps keep the cost down for PRS to be able to keep hosting us. For avatar pics, it's only one low resolution image per user, which keeps the data burden under control. It's also handy to host your pics on a hosting site like Photobucket. It centralizes your control of your content.
Not like Photobucket. Photobucket is hosed. It's taken them months (not done yet) to address FB login being broken. iOS app crashes on launch if that's what you are set up to do.

I'm making do with Flickr for now...

Not like Photobucket. Photobucket is hosed. It's taken them months (not done yet) to address FB login being broken. iOS app crashes on launch if that's what you are set up to do.

I'm making do with Flickr for now...

I've been using Photobucket since pretty much the beginning. I try to only use the Android app, which works well for me. The website is awful and always has been. Don't know how they've managed to keep all their old-school pop-up spam going for so long. Probably just because of users like me who don't want to migrate all their photos somewhere else.

<tech>
Really, Amazon S3 costs fractions of a penny to upload to and serve from. Like $0.004 per 10k requests. Disk and bandwidth are cheap these days.
</tech>

<biz>
However, I don't think this is @Shawn@PRS or @Hunter@PRS main gig and we can't expect wholesale changes here. They do a great job running this.
</biz>

<solve>
Best path I see here is to solve it ourselves. I can write up my Flickr workarounds and may investigate some other paths; suggest others do the same. Then we rewrite the instructions and ask @Shawn@PRS to do a new sticky. And we never mention Photobucket again...
</solve>

Instant gratification ..................that's all this new generation wants.:rolleyes:
Actually, I'd prefer it last at least 20 minutes.

Wait, what are we talking about again? Oh, posting pictures...yeah, that should be instantaneous.

Serious point, though, it is instantaneous to "share" on my phone via Facebook, Imgur, etc., and then it's easy enough to copy the image or image URL to here, it's not really that much harder. If the software was compatible with tapatalk, they'd take care of it for you.

You guys don't want access to my iPhone photo library, my photobucket one is bad enough. :rolleyes:

Never have used the Bucket, heard to too many problems with it over the years.
My solution to post pics on the many forums I am on is to use my websites server.

There is a drawback though, I have a yearly fee, but I know the guy who maintains the servers, and I am setup with FTP to upload on the fly from my PC.
I can then just access my pics from surfing my various folders and putting the URL to them on the forums.
I do not mind paying a fee for the ability to create web pages and have unlimited picture and data storage.

Back