Why are the Core and SE Paul's Guitar Neck Humbucker Slug Coil Positions Different?

SeattleMike

I just purchased an SE Paul's Guitar and recently learned that the SE Slug Coil is positioned differently in the Neck position than the Core's ,i.e.
- the Core Paul's Guitar has the Slug Coils nearest to the Neck
- the SE Paul's Guitar has the Screw Coils nearest to the Neck.

Both guitars - when split - make the Slug Coils the single coil for both the bridge & neck positions.

Question:
- Does anyone know the reason(s) the neck pups are positioned differently?
- To explore the sound difference, can I simply reverse the position of the SE's neck pup (without doing any rewiring)?

I just purchased an SE Paul's Guitar and recently learned that the SE Slug Coil is positioned differently in the Neck position than the Core's ,i.e.
- the Core Paul's Guitar has the Slug Coils nearest to the Neck
- the SE Paul's Guitar has the Screw Coils nearest to the Neck.

Both guitars - when split - make the Slug Coils the single coil for both the bridge & neck positions.

Question:
- Does anyone know the reason(s) the neck pups are positioned differently?
- To explore the sound difference, can I simply reverse the position of the SE's neck pup (without doing any rewiring)?
If the pickup cable is long enough I don't see why you couldn't rotate it. Easy enough to find out: just try it. :)

If the pickup cable is long enough I don't see why you couldn't rotate it. Easy enough to find out: just try it. :)
Thanks, Lew. Yeah, 'just try it' is likely the next step if I want. I'm a newbie, so am over-cautious about messing with wiring.

It is that way on the Core version because Paul thinks it sounds closer to "that" 2 & 4 position sound when splitting. Not sure why they don't do it that way on the SE version.

Thanks, Lew. Yeah, 'just try it' is likely the next step if I want. I'm a newbie, so am over-cautious about messing with wiring.
Just go easy and you won't hurt anything. Unscrew the mounting ring and gently lift it out. See if there's enough cable. If there is you'll probably have to take the pickup out of the ring and reverse it, put it back together and screw the mounting ring back on the guitar. Hardest part will probably be compressing the two springs while getting the height adjustment screws threaded back in again.

It is that way on the Core version because Paul thinks it sounds closer to "that" 2 & 4 position sound when splitting. Not sure why they don't do it that way on the SE version.
Thanks, Bodia! Just to be clear in my mind, are you saying that Paul thinks the core Paul's Guitar - when the neck is split - is closer to the Strat 4 position when:
- In the middle position (bridge split,neck split) or
- in the 5 position (neck split)?

My understanding of the 4 position is referring to the StratoCaster 4 position (middle single coil, neck single coil).

Just go easy and you won't hurt anything. Unscrew the mounting ring and gently lift it out. See if there's enough cable. If there is you'll probably have to take the pickup out of the ring and reverse it, put it back together and screw the mounting ring back on the guitar. Hardest part will probably be compressing the two springs while getting the height adjustment screws threaded back in again.
Thanks so much for taking the time, Lew, for the detail!

Thanks, Bodia! Just to be clear in my mind, are you saying that Paul thinks the core Paul's Guitar - when the neck is split - is closer to the Strat 4 position when:
- In the middle position (bridge split,neck split) or
- in the 5 position (neck split)?

My understanding of the 4 position is referring to the StratoCaster 4 position (middle single coil, neck single coil).
You're welcome.

This one: - In the middle position (bridge split,neck split)

Back