Why are so many people reluctant of PRS's?

Since i'm here with a bunch of PRS "believers" LOL, I might as well ask if any of you have noticed the same thing in people that I have. They see and or play my guitars and say they LOVE them, then they turn around and buy a gibson or fender? I am the only one of all the freinds I have that plays PRS's. I know they're expensive, but any guitar of this caliber is expensive. I bought both of mine used and saved a big chunk of change, so I dont know if price is really the factor. People i know just seem to be reluctant to even consider PRS and I dont understand it?

I started playing guitar in 1985. I bought my first PRS last month. I went with the Santana SE in yellow. I avoided PRS guitars in the past due to the high price of the US models. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they aren't worth the money. They are high quality guitars, worth every penny. I feel the same way about Gibson Les Paul guitars. They are great but I am not willing to spend $2000 + for an electric guitar.

With that said, I went with the SE after playing one. I was impressed. I am glad I bought it.

Nice forum.

I've been aware of PRS guitars since they hit the market in the mid-'80's. Supposedly, Paul was going for a guitar that would appeal to both Fender and Gibson players, and that sounded like something I could use, so I tried one at the first opportunity. My take on it was that they were beautiful, well-made, but tonally not quite what I was after--I'm primarily a Tele player, and if I can't get a good single-coil bridge-pickup sound from a guitar, I can't really use it. I was a Gibson player back in the late '60's and early '70's, but started playing Teles and Strats in the mid '70's and never looked back, although I do still enjoy my Gibson--I still have an SG along with all the single-coil guitars.
It seemed like they were getting closer with the 513, but it still wasn't quite right. Then, on a recommendation from Paul himself, I tried a DC3--almost bought it; it's just as well that I didn't have the money at the time, as I wound up later with a Brent Mason. I've always felt that PRS's were excellent guitars, just not for me, until they came up with these single-coil bolt-on models. Oh--the 305's great too, but the Brent Mason does it for me.

I've been aware of PRS guitars since they hit the market in the mid-'80's...

You've got me thinking now. I feel like I've known of PRS guitars forever, but in reality, I can't specifically remember a time before 2003 where I was aware of their existence. The first artist I heard (in a video recorded dialog) recommend PRS guitars was Ted Nugent. (I should make a thread out of this do I don't get acused of hijacking the thread.) Later, as a big fan of the pre-bubblegum era of Nickelback, I became hyper aware of the different PRS guitars that Chad played. (...Continued in new thread.)

Back