Why are SE guitars so good?

they´re incredible instruments. I got a used SE Santana (2011) and its my main guitar now... I´m even considering buying an SE245... love the SC looks... would it be redundant? as i think they have the same scale and pickups... it would be just 2 more knobs (i like the LP 4 knob configuration), no-tremolo and beautiful looks...

rubalup, I had both SE Santanas and SE 245s together in the past - they were not redundant to me. The 245 is definitely a warmer guitar, sometimes too dark for my tastes. The Santana has a little more punch, the neck pickup has more single-coiliness to it, probably because of the trem and thinner body. I preferred the Santana. With either one of those, and an SE Custom 24 (newer one w coil taps) you could cover pretty much any sonic ground you like, 'ceptin maybe soapy...

PRS SE 245 for $400? Am I reading this wrong? How are you getting a 245 for $400? Is it used or new? That seems like a very low price for that guitar. I'd be interested to know where you can get one of these for that price.

That is really awesome.

My Guitar Center was selling the 245 and Bernie on clearance for $400 each. When Sam Ash said they'd beat the price on the 245? Well.....

I'm another happy user of the SEs. What can I criticise about it! :laugh: They're possibly the best valued guitar out there. Even Paul loves these SEs himself when he picks one up to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
rubalup, I had both SE Santanas and SE 245s together in the past - they were not redundant to me. The 245 is definitely a warmer guitar, sometimes too dark for my tastes. The Santana has a little more punch, the neck pickup has more single-coiliness to it, probably because of the trem and thinner body. I preferred the Santana. With either one of those, and an SE Custom 24 (newer one w coil taps) you could cover pretty much any sonic ground you like, 'ceptin maybe soapy...

thanks CantankerousCarl. Great info. I absolutely love my SE Santana. Sound better than any of my other guitars (epi les paul, fender american strat, ibanez rg, etc... all equiped with "big brand" pu).... i´m definitely going after that SE245 ....be aware that you just have a new enemy (my wife) for that SE Custom 24 recommendation (i´m totally going to blame you for it) " a guy on the PRS forum told me i NEED a new PRS, different from that beauty i showed you earlier, to be complete. I assure you this will be my last guitar!!"

cheers

FennRx, my SE Santana makes my Fenders, (MIM Fat Strat, American Standard SSS, Telecaster FSR Black Paisley), sound like 7 year old Church choir girls!! I love this guitar, easy to play and "so smooooth" no pun intended!!

sorry to ask this here but i cant find an answer to this:

wich hardcase shoul i buy for the SE245? and not a very expensive one if posible

it would be super cool if i could also fit my santana se on it... this is my maing gig guitar now and its the only one without a case... and i supose the se245 would be also my favorite when i buy it.

thanks

Get yourself the PRS hardcase.
Greats deals at www.sweetwater.com

17.jpg

The PRS case fits most SEs with the exception of the SE Tremonti Custom.
Mine fit the PRS case, but you have to use a towel to prop up the neck.
I bought a flight case from SKB just for the Tremonti Custom, and it fits better than the PRS case as it is deeper, and lets the neck hang down lower and the whole guitar is then flush like it should be.

1.jpg

When I was at Guitar Center recently I was played a ton of Epihpones, Deans, Gibsons (barring your $1200+ models of course), ESPs, and Jacksons. However nothing just felt quite as right when i picked up the SE Singlecut. The sound it made when i strummed it and the way it felt in my hands. They're just flat out better guitars.

unfortunately, I had to return my 245- had some unexpected medical bills arrive (stupid high deductible plan). bummer, but before I did I made this quick clip.

My iPad didn't capture the R8 perfectly- it made the guitars sound closer than they really are. However you still can get an idea of how close a $400 SE can be to a Custom Shop Gibson. Pardon the poor playing....I'm just a hobbyist- the PRS stereotype to be exact (ie a professional who has spent lots of cash on gear to belt out bad covers of classic rock songs :flute: )
<br>

unfortunately, I had to return my 245- had some unexpected medical bills arrive (stupid high deductible plan). bummer, but before I did I made this quick clip.

My iPad didn't capture the R8 perfectly- it made the guitars sound closer than they really are. However you still can get an idea of how close a $400 SE can be to a Custom Shop Gibson. Pardon the poor playing....I'm just a hobbyist- the PRS stereotype to be exact (ie a professional who has spent lots of cash on gear to belt out bad covers of classic rock songs :flute: )
<br>

I like the 245. I wouldn't be surprised if you regret that someday.

I've had my 245 for about a week and I too cannot put it down. I've been up til like 2am playing with it through headphones mostly but today I was able to crank up the Marshall and really get after it. I am extremely pleasantly surprised by how good the pickups are. They are not noisy whatsoever even on the high gain channel fully cranked on the gain and 9-10 o'clock on the master. I don't need the smart gate with it. I need be gate with my LP and my emg equipped santana. The pups are great and the bridge is hot enough to get some great pinch harmonics effortlessly. It down tunes quite well and was set up perfectly out of box.

This is all with the .9s on it too. I have .10s ready to go on it as soon as I can put it down long enough!

The case I got fits pretty well

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-RRMEG-ABS-Molded-Electric-Guitar-Case---106070352-i1668701.gc?rev=1

Last edited:
My two dream guitars were an r8 and r9 . Corey T posted on the Gibson forum , that he got a prs se cu24 . I ordered one that week and that was it for me. Unfortunately I traded my se cu24 in on my DGT , kinda regret it now . Will be looking at a new se shortly or a cu24 .

Ok sorry off topic lol.

I feel that prs listen to what the customer wants and they are constantly working on improving products . Their customer service is amazing to say the least and the Ptc, that department speaks for itself.

You will be able to learn about the different secrets after you have played with the same for a long time. It will not be possible to simply sit idle and find out the same.

You will be able to learn about the different secrets after you have played with the same for a long time. It will not be possible to simply sit idle and find out the same.

Very true and sometimes, even after owning the guitar for quite a while you will "accidentally" stumble upon one of these hidden secrets that you would never have known about. Also, if you play the guitar a lot and "bond" with it, learn to appreciate it, you will discover things you would never have been able to know. For me the more I play, the more frequently and for longer periods of time, the more I become familiar with my instrument and playing in general and this intimacy brings about new ideas and strategies to make up songs and put together very satisfying music - unique and new things.

Back