Why are PRS Tuners so ugly?

How come when doctors buy a nice house or a Mercedes, everyone wants one also? But, when they buy a kick ass guitar that’s beautiful and sounds amazing, they give the manufacturer grief about it?

They also don’t complain if the doctor or lawyer buys a Steinway grand for the 7 year old child to play “Twinkle Twinkle” on.

But piano players don’t sit around criticizing each other the way guitar players do.
Too many guitar players think music is somehow a contest of who can play faster, more difficult licks, etc.

Of course, we know better. We know music is a contest of who can play LOUDEST. ;)

I love my PhIII tuners on my CU24, I think they look great, and perform much better than the grovers I have on other guitars... But to each his own!

They also don’t complain if the doctor or lawyer buys a Steinway grand for the 7 year old child to play “Twinkle Twinkle” on.

But piano players don’t sit around criticizing each other the way guitar players do.
Too many guitar players think music is somehow a contest of who can play faster, more difficult licks, etc.

Of course, we know better. We know music is a contest of who can play LOUDEST. ;)
Truth! Witness, the Battle of the Master Volume...

Wow. I guess I'm retrograde.
I've never noticed a tuner in my life.
You guys have waaay to much time on your hands.

I currently own 4 guitars, 2 acoustic and 2 electric ranging from high to ultra high quality. In each case (after much study for this thread :)) I've found the tuners to be perfectly appropriate to the guitar they're on. They all work well and aesthetically match the instrument quality level and price point. Regarding PRS, I find the Phase III tuners on my 594 to be everything I'd expect on a $5k guitar. They have that "Minimal Art" look where the beauty is in the quality of materials, function and craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Just replaced my S2 Phase II tuners with Grover locking Rotomatics. A much, much cleaner look. Of all the awesome things about PRS guitars, why are the tuners so damn ugly??
(Can't figure out how to post a pic...)

I have several types and think they look great, but damn do they stay in tune!! I have several major brands hanging on my walls, and nothing stays in tune longer that any of my PRSs. Even the ones with no neck finish which HAS to have some effect in the dry to humid weather here in NJ. The PRSs are insane. It actually pisses me off sometimes, so I sneak into the music room and twist the tuners in the middle of the night on occasion. :D

Back