Why are PRS Silversky Core backlogged for a year now? Aren't they made in Maryland?

Archie1709

I just like to play
I am unsure why PRS factory videos in YouTube shows that Silver Sky core guitars are all made from Stevensville, Maryland but are now on back order. Some posts say it's because of the demand. I don't get it. How many Silver Sky core guitars do you make in a year? Finally, why is the Roxy Pink being backlogged for a year now and only ship one or two somewhere.

Paul Reed Smith, I am not sure what kind of marketing scheme you guys have. And I am not sure why you have the aged lumber, the materials, and the people to build these guitars but somehow ALL guitar stores are out of stock of your Silver Sky since last year. I am disappointed as a fan of your company and your guitars. And am an even more disappointed because I am a huge John Mayer fan. Hope to hear back.

Chill, dude. It's been 2 years of pandemic, and supply chain problems out the wazoo. Plus, here's a 166 brand new Silver Sky you can pick from. Guess that means "ALL guitar stores are out of stock" is a tad inaccurate.

Not sure if that's relevant or reason why things being delayed but prices of steel are crazy now.

A mate of mine, owner of popular British guitar pedal brand messaged me last week and said that the price of folded metal enclosures he is using went up by 200% in just 6 months time.

Even tho Guitars are mainly wood we have bridges, tuners and rest of the hardware...

...it's probably a mix of things bro.

And as much as OP reaction is uncalled some of the answers to that are too. Be nice to each other

Not sure if that's relevant or reason why things being delayed but prices of steel are crazy now.

A mate of mine, owner of popular British guitar pedal brand messaged me last week and said that the price of folded metal enclosures he is using went up by 200% in just 6 months time.

Even tho Guitars are mainly wood we have bridges, tuners and rest of the hardware...

...it's probably a mix of things bro.

And as much as OP reaction is uncalled some of the answers to that are too. Be nice to each other
It’s cheaper to build out of gold, rather than wood or steel!;)

That shouldn't delay anything - PRS doesn't use stainless steel frets. And it can't be demand, because PRS doesn't use stainless steel frets, which is the only way people would buy a Silver Sky.

There is a distinct shortage of Steele these days, though.

george-animal-steele-wwe.jpg

Come on, guys. It's a simple concept really. Wrote a little song about it. Like to hear it? Here it goes!

I am unsure why PRS factory videos in YouTube shows that Silver Sky core guitars are all made from Stevensville, Maryland but are now on back order. Some posts say it's because of the demand. I don't get it. How many Silver Sky core guitars do you make in a year? Finally, why is the Roxy Pink being backlogged for a year now and only ship one or two somewhere.

Paul Reed Smith, I am not sure what kind of marketing scheme you guys have. And I am not sure why you have the aged lumber, the materials, and the people to build these guitars but somehow ALL guitar stores are out of stock of your Silver Sky since last year. I am disappointed as a fan of your company and your guitars. And am an even more disappointed because I am a huge John Mayer fan. Hope to hear back.

What that means is that if you want a 'specific' colour - like Roxy Pink for example, and order it from ANY retailer, your Roxy Pink order will be added to the list of Orders for Silver Sky's which would mean that 'your' Roxy Pink SS won't be made until ALL the other orders that came before yours, have been made.

In the meantime, another retailer may of ordered some Roxy Pink SS's months ago and get their stock and maybe not 'pre-sold' all of theirs and then you'll see other stores with theirs all whilst waiting for PRS to get round to your 'specific' order that was added to the list of guitars to be built.

Guitars are built to order - even 'general' stock. When you see PRS at NAMM, they are taking orders from retailers for stock. Then customers go to these retailers and pre-order so once all the retailers stock of Roxy Pink SS are 'pre-sold'', the next customer, you, comes in wanting a Roxy Pink SS so your 'order' has to go on the end of ALL those other orders that were made at and since the guitar was announced (plus all the other guitars they have to make). Your 'specific' guitar order gets added onto the list of orders from retailers all over the world - which currently may well mean waiting a year or so. That doesn't mean that other stores won't get Roxy Pink SS that weren't 'pre-sold' to a customer, one they ordered at NAMM as part of their 'stock' requirements so have it LONG before your ordered guitar is built.

If a Store is low on Custom 24's, they order more (say 5) and then a Customer comes in wanting one in a Specific Colour so they 'order' that, those 5 will get made first because they were ordered first now imagine hundreds of retailers ordering 5-10 guitars for more stock, and then where that single customer order will be on the list - it won't be the 6th Custom 24 made....

PRS is NOT a big company employing 1000's to churn out guitars like Fender or Gibson. They are NOT going to compromise their Quality to get more guitars out the door quicker. Considering they were shutdown for months due to Pandemic condition at a very busy time for guitar sales, they had a LOT of orders to fill when they returned to work, hence such a long wait.

Back