Why are PRS owners so afraid of getting a little scratch on it?

I play all of mine, and keep them out - 2 hanging on the wall in the living room, rotating (currently my CE and AX20E), the rest on stands in my music room. If I keep them in the case I don't play spontaneously as often - still sit down and practice/learn, but don't just pick them up on a whim like I do with them out. I also like looking at them :) .

That being said, I go out of my way to keep them nice. Yes, they're tools, but it's possible to keep one's tools clean and in good shape. So, that's what I do. I don't cry if they get dinged, and I don't immediately get a ding repaired, but I'd still prefer to keep the dings minimized if not nonexistent. My Mira is somewhat beat, was that way from playwear when I got her, and I still love her - but if she'd been mine since new she'd look better, and still would have been played as much.

That said, I fully agree with the statements made regarding the purchaser's choice - you bought i8t, do with it whatever the hell you want. Lock it in a case in the dark and be happy with the knowledge that you have it if that's what you want to do. Hang it on the front porch in the rain if it makes you happy. You be you, I'll be me.

If a person owns a guitar and wants it spotless, what’s that to anyone but the owner? I will never understand how they manage to sell guitars with fake use pre-beat into them, but who cares? I’m not the one buying them.

Having an opinion on what makes for a great guitar is cool. Expecting others to use and maintain their guitars based on your personal opinion is a bit of assholery.

If a person owns a guitar and wants it spotless, what’s that to anyone but the owner? I will never understand how they manage to sell guitars with fake use pre-beat into them, but who cares? I’m not the one buying them.

Having an opinion on what makes for a great guitar is cool. Expecting others to use and maintain their guitars based on your personal opinion is a bit of assholery.

This.

Yup. +1.

If I want to buy a guitar for any of the reasons listed above or even as a boat anchor, so be it. My money; my choice. Why do some find it necessary to tell me what to do with MY stuff? :confused:

And FWIW, I‘m a gigging player. Granted I don’t move like Pete Townshend, but I‘m careful and don’t beat them up either.

I want to build a life size Pete guitar hanger in that exact pose so he can hold it like that when I'm not playing it.

I want to build a life size Pete guitar hanger in that exact pose so he can hold it like that when I'm not playing it.

A very cool idea!

But I'd suggest building in support for the guitar body as well because of the angle - wouldn't want Pete to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Probably with some kind of non-skid material - wouldn't want it to slip, kid.

I keep all my stuff like new, not just my guitars. All my video games stay in their cases, displayed neatly. Other collectibles and items stay looking new and my cars are always spotless. It's just how I am.

If my guitars get a small scratch so be it but I will always do my best to protect my stuff. I paid for it with my money and I want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible. :)

fyi, I'm not obsessed with cleanliness or being neat. Not at all. But my things that I like, they stay nice. :)

This is exactly how I am too. I do keep my guitars in their cases and only have one floor stand for the guitar I am 'currently' using at any one time. That is in part to protect them whilst I am not currently playing but also in part out of necessity. I don't have space for guitars and cases to be kept separately so it makes sense to store my guitars in their cases and just have the 'one' guitar I am currently playing - I can't play more than 1 at a time anyway.

I don't care if my guitars get 'scratched' or dinged when I am playing, not that I abuse them OR too scared to play them. If I was 'worried' about resale value, I certainly wouldn't have bought 'New' as that instantly loses money. I bought my guitars for 'life' so their 'value' is to me and to me alone. The financial 'value' of a guitar ONLY matters if you don't plan to keep it, looking to 'flip' it on at a later date. However, I don't care if my guitar is worth 'less' because it has a few signs of use - its already worth 'less' than I paid because I bought new and its already given me pleasure and 'value' from owning and playing 'dream' guitars.

As others have said, a Guitar is a tool. However, a great workman looks after the tools of his trade, ensures that its 'optimal' to do its job and kept in the 'best' condition to do that job. A good luthier is going to look after his chisels, make sure they are kept in the best condition, not chuck them around and risk damaging the sharp edge. Not going to throw their notched straight edge around, risk getting it bent or warped because its then 'useless'. All the 'best' craftsmen look after their tools. A LOT of professional musicians look after their instruments, keep them in cases, clean them down after use etc - it maybe not so common with 'rock' guitarists who also get guitars from endorsements and want to create an image on stage - but that doesn't mean EVERYONE has to be 'Pete Townsend' or 'Jimi Hendrix' and smash guitars, set them on fire.

I also agree that IF someone wants to buy a guitar as wall art, wants to buy a guitar and stick it in a safe in its case and never look at it, as an 'investment' for the future - never once playing it, that is entirely up to them. Some people buy cars that sit in their garage for months and months under a dust cover, not even done 100 miles in it - whether its because its a 'vintage' car, a brand new Supercar bought as an investment or maybe just a car that they take out a few times a year for 'special' occasions, events or a Sunday drive if the weather is right. Point is, its 'their' choice and up to them what they do!!!

Most of us are surely aware of how Eddie Van Halen built his guitars, but I still cringe a bit when I remember the interview where he just tossed a couple in the back of his pickup to go to the studio because to him, they were 'tools'. But I treat my tools pretty well, too.

Dang. that interview scarred me too. I wondered how much of it was just EVH drunken DILLIGAF. Still, it stuck with me.

I don't mind some wear and tear, though I wouldn't go all Pete Townshend on my 594 either (or any of my others).

My 594 isn't my most expensive guitar, but my experience with much pricier instruments is... I play them, and if I'm too nervous about dings and scratches, I don't need to pay up for extra bling.

That's just me. However others feel is their business and all cool with me. Guitars are tools, they can also be art (or both).

If I want to buy something to look at, I'll hang a piece of art on the wall.

If I want to buy an investment, I'll buy stocks.

If I buy a $5000 guitar, I want to play it. Inevitably, I will get dings, scratches and probably drop it once in a while. Such is part of playing guitars.

People who just leave their PRS in a case and/or are petrified to do anything that might damage it make no sense to me.

Play your damn guitar and enjoy it too!

You mad Bro?

Back