Who's your top 5 favorite Guitarists?

NO order below, I tried 3x and couldn't do it, so I defaulted to Alphabetical. Heck ,there was a lot of deleting and replacing before I could narrow down to 5...

Tommy Emmanuel
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayer
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn

I’m glad it’s titled as favorite rather than best. Still difficult and I’m not surprised I haven’t replied!:D

I’ll try to go with some that affect or move me in some way, maybe influence.

Slash
Adam Jones - Tool
Jerry Cantrell - Alice In Chains
Dean DeLeo - STP
David Gilmour

Jeff Beck - one of the best live performances I’ve seen, I actually had tears at one point.

Zakk Wylde - first couple albums with Ozzy, he was very different at the time and I loved it

George Lynch - unique phrasing and note placement, I love what he does now with KXM even more than when I liked the shred stuff

Clint Lowery - from first listen to Sevendust I was blown away. He sings great and writes great songs as a solo artist as well.

I’m glad it’s titled as favorite rather than best. Still difficult and I’m not surprised I haven’t replied!:D

I’ll try to go with some that affect or move me in some way, maybe influence.

Slash
Adam Jones - Tool
Jerry Cantrell - Alice In Chains
Dean DeLeo - STP
David Gilmour

Jeff Beck - one of the best live performances I’ve seen, I actually had tears at one point.

Zakk Wylde - first couple albums with Ozzy, he was very different at the time and I loved it

George Lynch - unique phrasing and note placement, I love what he does now with KXM even more than when I liked the shred stuff

Clint Lowery - from first listen to Sevendust I was blown away. He sings great and writes great songs as a solo artist as well.

Totally agree with you on Zakk. I loved his playing on those two albums. Lynch is one of my all time favs, too.

It is way too difficult to mention only five. So I will skip the most obvious ones like Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour, etc.

Robin Trower
Peter Green
Ted Oberg (Livin' Blues)
Andy Powell/Ted Turner ( Whisbone Ash, perfect combination of these two)
George Kooymans (Golden Earring, one of the oldest rock bands still playing)

It is way too difficult to mention only five. So I will skip the most obvious ones like Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour, etc.

Robin Trower
Peter Green
Ted Oberg (Livin' Blues)
Andy Powell/Ted Turner ( Whisbone Ash, perfect combination of these two)
George Kooymans (Golden Earring, one of the oldest rock bands still playing)
When I was a young lad growing up near Teesside in the UK back in the 60s and early 70s, before I emigrated to Canada, I saw a lot of bands around the area and as far north as Newcastle and even in Ayr when I worked a summer at the Butlins up there, but my favorite bar none was PG's Fleetwood Mac. I saw them several times at the Coatham in Redcar. I believe PG has been very much forgotten and underrated over the long years since he pulled away from the limelight. What I always remember from those shows was how good Albatross sounded live and also the fact that they used Orange gear. Very cool.

Poor PG never truly realised his own worth as a musician, well that is certainly how I’ve interpreted his comments when he’s been interviewed.

I fully agree about PG, he did really wonderful things. A shame he didn't get all the credits for it. When he joined John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers for recording the album "A Hard Road" in 1967, you could already hear what he was able to do. Here he also met with John McVie.

Michael Romeo from Symphony X
Syu from Galneryus
Paco de Lucia
John Williams, as in the classical guitarist from Australia. Not that one scrub who butchered the Star Trek theme to infinity and beyond.
Emanuel Aguilar

Favorite as in the ones I enjoy listening to the most.
In no particular order:

Johnny A.
John Cipollina.
Nokie Edwards.
Wes Montgomery.
A whole bunch more but I'm only allowed 5 in this thread.

Chet Atkins
Tommy Emanuel
Larry Carlton
Joe Pass
Eric Clapton...too many to count!

Chet has always been a favorite. My Dad had a copy of For the Good Times which contained Chet's version of Chaplin in New Shoes. I wish I had a dollar for every time I listened to that song and yet it's still a favorite. I can play the lead or the rhythm part, but I still can't play both at the same time like Chet did...

Back