Who's your top 5 favorite Guitarists?

Here’s why I choose Nuno as # uno. Mechanically, he can shred with the best of ‘em. But, he does so with such taste and feel. I remember reading a review of Neil Schon’s playing (I’m a fan). The writer said you can “sing” Neil’s solos. I get it. Listen to Nuno’s solo in Rest In Peace. When I hear it, I sing it in my head. The guy is a monster player, but he also has heart.

I get why some would include Al Dimeola In their list. The guy is amazing mechanically; I just can’t listen to him because it doesn’t move me to “sing” along. Maybe I’m to simple and shallow to understand his music, but I need melody. (Note: I didn’t mean to pick on Al; I know he’s amazing. Just needed an example to make my point).

Absolutely agree on feel. (By the way, speaking of that, watch my video on Clapton above. He has more feel in 3 notes than I'll emote in a month.) Which brings me to realize I'm ashamed I didn't include David Gilmour in my top 5. Can we make it top 5 1/2?

Absolutely agree on feel. (By the way, speaking of that, watch my video on Clapton above. He has more feel in 3 notes than I'll emote in a month.) Which brings me to realize I'm ashamed I didn't include David Gilmour in my top 5. Can we make it top 500 1/2?

Changed it. There are so many great ones.

Here’s why I choose Nuno as # uno. Mechanically, he can shred with the best of ‘em. But, he does so with such taste and feel. I remember reading a review of Neil Schon’s playing (I’m a fan). The writer said you can “sing” Neil’s solos. I get it. Listen to Nuno’s solo in Rest In Peace. When I hear it, I sing it in my head. The guy is a monster player, but he also has heart.

I get why some would include Al Dimeola In their list. The guy is amazing mechanically; I just can’t listen to him because it doesn’t move me to “sing” along. Maybe I’m too simple and shallow to understand his music, but I need melody. (Note: I didn’t mean to pick on Al; I know he’s amazing. Just needed an example to make my point).

Totally with you on this one! Nuno is terrific.

Absolutely agree on feel. (By the way, speaking of that, watch my video on Clapton above. He has more feel in 3 notes than I'll emote in a month.) Which brings me to realize I'm ashamed I didn't include David Gilmour in my top 5. Can we make it top 5 1/2?
5-1/2, 10-3/4 is it really enough? I really was not thinking straight when I said 5. At this point, add as many as you feel, there are so many.

Al Dimeola
Alex Lifeson
Carlos Santana
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen

No particular order but love listing to all the above. A few more of my favs... Hendrix, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Slash, James Taylor and yes.... Neil Young, electric and acoustic (I’m gonna get beat up for that one) ;)

Al Dimeola
Alex Lifeson
Carlos Santana
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen

No particular order but love listing to all the above. A few more of my favs... Hendrix, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Slash, James Taylor and yes.... Neil Young, electric and acoustic (I’m gonna get beat up for that one) ;)
nothing wrong with Neil Young, I'm actually surprised nobody has thrown Steve Howe's name in the ring

Alex Lifeson
Tommy Bolin
Eric Clapton
SRV
John Petrucci
I can't tell you how happy I am to see Tommy Bolin's name on a list of favorite guitarists! I've been a Bolin fan for a long time, but sadly he's almost a forgotten man except to those of us that...um, have a few miles on the clock! Tommy could play it all, from jazz to hard rock, it's just unfortunate that he stayed at the party a little too long.

Getting down to 5 was extremely hard, but here it is, in no particular order and subject to change daily depending on who I'm listening to:
Randy Rhoads
SRV
Brian Setzer
Freddie King
Peter Frampton

I can't tell you how happy I am to see Tommy Bolin's name on a list of favorite guitarists! I've been a Bolin fan for a long time, but sadly he's almost a forgotten man except to those of us that...um, have a few miles on the clock! Tommy could play it all, from jazz to hard rock, it's just unfortunate that he stayed at the party a little too long.

Getting down to 5 was extremely hard, but here it is, in no particular order and subject to change daily depending on who I'm listening to:
Randy Rhoads
SRV
Brian Setzer
Freddie King
Peter Frampton

Some great choices there....Brian Setzer.... That's a great one

Back