Malcolm Young
Steve Lukather

Final 5

Steve Morse
SRV
Zakk Wylde
Malmsteen
Randy

Okay...first of all, this thread has made me develop a twitch...
Secondly....the numerical placement of names does not reflect one over the other..they are all winners! Oh, did I mention this gave me a twitch!!!???
This is hard! I have so many ,so I'm gonna reserve the right to change my mind daily....cool? Cool!

1. David Gilmour
2. Duane Allman
3. Alex Lifeson
4. Muddy Waters
5. SRV

Okay...first of all, this thread has made me develop a twitch...
Secondly....the numerical placement of names does not reflect one over the other..they are all winners! Oh, did I mention this gave me a twitch!!!???
This is hard! I have so many ,so I'm gonna reserve the right to change my mind daily....cool? Cool!

1. David Gilmour
2. Duane Allman
3. Alex Lifeson
4. Muddy Waters
5. SRV

In retrospect, I should have said top 225 maybe? So many great guitarist being listed. Thanks for playing along.

I enjoy listening to just about all the players on everyone’s lists , but I always went for the more melodic players for the most part.

In no particular order...

Eric Johnson
Steve Farris (Mr Mister)
Al DiMeola
Andrew Latimer (Camel)
Neal Schon

I enjoy listening to just about all the players on everyone’s lists , but I always went for the more melodic players for the most part.

In no particular order...

Eric Johnson
Steve Farris (Mr Mister)
Al DiMeola
Andrew Latimer (Camel)
Neal Schon

Howard Leese commented how much he enjoyed Steve Farris’ playing.

1. Merle Travis
2. DVR
3. Mike Bloomfield
4. SRV
5. EVH

Let's not forget this "tour de force."

or this

I remember, about four months before I left for University, my Dad sat me down and taught me both these songs "note for note."
I swear, I put myself thru uni playin' "going home."
Damn, I miss my Mom and Dad.

Vince Gill is also vastly underrated as a guitarist.
I love his early stuff.

As a duet, this is pretty hard to beat.

this doesn't suck ...

this is pretty good, a legend.

The MAN.
There is also a picture in the "collage" of the first solid body guitar ever commercially produced (1948), that Merle designed and a very famous guy built. See if u can spot it.

Nicest guys ... Marty Stuart, Travis Tritt & Lee Roy Parnell.

Oh, there is lots more.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa - For keeping it interesting and weird.

Alex Lifeson [Rush] - For delivering specific emotions in solos, for knowing how to fill out the sound of a 3-piece, and for being a goofy dude.

Randy Rhoads [Ozzy] - For providing a big piece of the soundtrack of my teen years, and for his solid advice.

Steve Bartek [Oingo Boingo, Jacki0] - For fascinating leads, rhythms, and song construction.

Zoot Horn Rollo [Captain Beefheart, Mallard] - For his unconventional style and mentorship.

In no particular order:
SRV
Hendrix
Gary Clark, Jr
Dan Auerbach - The Black Keys
Joe Bonamassa

(and I'm sure as soon as I hit post, I'll think of at least 10 others)

Guthrie Govan
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
SRV
Yngwie Malmsteen

I had a hard time with #5, but I’m going to include Yngwie for now. And yes, 11top, Nuno is a hell of a slinger.

Guthrie Govan
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
SRV
Yngwie Malmsteen

I had a hard time with #5, but I’m going to include Yngwie for now. And yes, 11top, Nuno is a hell of a slinger.

Here’s why I choose Nuno as # uno. Mechanically, he can shred with the best of ‘em. But, he does so with such taste and feel. I remember reading a review of Neil Schon’s playing (I’m a fan). The writer said you can “sing” Neil’s solos. I get it. Listen to Nuno’s solo in Rest In Peace. When I hear it, I sing it in my head. The guy is a monster player, but he also has heart.

I get why some would include Al Dimeola In their list. The guy is amazing mechanically; I just can’t listen to him because it doesn’t move me to “sing” along. Maybe I’m too simple and shallow to understand his music, but I need melody. (Note: I didn’t mean to pick on Al; I know he’s amazing. Just needed an example to make my point).

Last edited:
Back