Who's going to Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, duh.

Planes don't fly on the ground, so of course your chances will be higher.

I think the biggest factor is the unknown. This is still a novel disease to most people, so they have no idea how it's going to act, how easy it is to actually get, etc. Yes, a lot more people die of the flu. We know how the flu spreads, and yet it still infects millions, as pointed out. This is currently running at about 34x the mortality rate of the flu, so if this gets spread as wide as the flu, it's going to be a huge problem.

All that said, the vast majority of our information is coming from an industry whose business depends on getting people to click on their articles, watch their channels, etc. And nobody's going to be dragged in by, "Here's a disease that is really bad but you're not likely to get right now." So instead you get, "HOLY SH!T WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!" Think about your local news stations - I'll bet almost every one of us (especially in the US) has a local channel that delivers their weather from the Severe Weather Team or the Storm Center. Even in the summer when it's sunny and pleasant.

I understand the relevancy of cornavirus to the event, but let's try to keep the thread on topic, please.

I'm not going to delete posts, but please, unless you're a medical professional, please refrain from offering medical advice or disparaging the credibility of stats/articles.

I understand the relevancy of cornavirus to the event, but let's try to keep the thread on topic, please.

I'm not going to delete posts, but please, unless you're a medical professional, please refrain from offering medical advice or disparaging the credibility of stats/articles.

Does playing doctor count? Playing "Doctor Doctor" by UFO? What about the Robert Palmer song? Nah - Moon Martin's original would probably be more qualifying. :p

Doctor and Experience related - found out yesterday my wife will almost definitely not be attending Experience this year. One of her knee replacements has shifted and has to be redone, and based on past experience (but not past Experience), 10 days is not quite enough recovery time to allow her to go.

Does playing doctor count? Playing "Doctor Doctor" by UFO? What about the Robert Palmer song? Nah - Moon Martin's original would probably be more qualifying. :p

Doctor and Experience related - found out yesterday my wife will almost definitely not be attending Experience this year. One of her knee replacements has shifted and has to be redone, and based on past experience (but not past Experience), 10 days is not quite enough recovery time to allow her to go.
That's a bummer

Actually, the above is simply a load of crap. Do your homework! Talk to your physician (I've talked to mine).

The flu has a two tenths of a percent death rate. COVID 19 has nearly a 4% death rate (3.7% as of today). For those needing hospitalization, studies show a 6% death rate. The death rate for folks with diabetes and heart disease - this includes me - is 14.5% as of today.

These are facts. Not made-up bs.

This is a very dangerous disease, and it's spreading exponentially. It is a GOOD idea to be careful and it is NOT fake news. There are people in their 50s on ventilators from this, and the average hospitalization for people who are seriously affected is ten days. As a comparison, my open heart surgery only hospitalized me for five days.

While there isn't a reason to panic (I mean, when is panic a good thing?), there IS a reason to be extremely prudent.

Intelligent people will be careful. You can call it whatever you want, and I wish you luck - and good health.

Les, I love you man, but you couldn't be more wrong...

The only reason the death rates seem high is because they haven't counted the 10's if not 100's of thousands of people who have caught the virus and recovered w/o incident... They only recently began any testing for this particular virus...

Once those numbers are factored in, the morbidity rate will be similar to that of the regular flu (which kills 20-70 THOUSAND people in this country yearly)...

The only reason the death rates seem high is because they haven't counted the 10's if not 100's of thousands of people who have caught the virus and recovered w/o incident... They only recently began any testing for this particular virus...

Once those numbers are factored in, the morbidity rate will be similar to that of the regular flu (which kills 20-70 THOUSAND people in this country yearly)...
The flu does not overwhelm the health care system every year.

People who have life threatening injuries unrelated will also die.

Here's a report from a Dr. in Italy about the situation, read the whole thread to see why being extremely concerned about it is warranted.

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/1236933818654896129?s=21

This is not "the flu" - it's not even in the same viral family. People shrugging it off like it's no big deal is going to cause more people to die than is necessary.

Sure, most people will get it and recover, but not everyone, it's not even just 'at risk' groups who die from it. Those that need the extra care won't be able to get it because the system will be over capacity leading to a higher rate of death.

Protecting yourself is protecting others.

Seriously, as of today, the death rate is still 3.7% and that is where it stands. We can only go by what we know. Serious testing has been going on. The rate in Germany, the US, and other Western countries is the same.

Yes, it may go down. But you're guessing. I'm using known statistics. What would you bet your life on if you were diabetic and had heart disease, as so many folks our age do? Or, perhaps more to the point, what would you bet your kids' lives on if they were diabetic? Your wife's? Your patients?

I would hope you would be conservative and stick to what we know, as opposed to the unproven hope that things are really OK.

Anyone with reduced resistance to disease - I'm one of them - has to be more careful.

But I ask, Jamie, where did you find specific data proving that you're right?

And in the absence of that data, how do you make an informed decision for, say, your patients? Guesswork is OK? I highly disagree. I hope you're not telling patients what you told me.

Last edited:
The flu does not overwhelm the health care system every year.

People who have life threatening injuries unrelated will also die.

Here's a report from a Dr. in Italy about the situation, read the whole thread to see why being extremely concerned about it is warranted.

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/1236933818654896129?s=21

This is not "the flu" - it's not even in the same viral family. People shrugging it off like it's no big deal is going to cause more people to die than is necessary.

Sure, most people will get it and recover, but not everyone, it's not even just 'at risk' groups who die from it. Those that need the extra care won't be able to get it because the system will be over capacity leading to a higher rate of death.

Protecting yourself is protecting others.

This.

Jamie and I are friends, and lord knows I enjoy his company, and think he is a bright guy. I'm sure he's an excellent podiatrist as well, or he wouldn't be as successful as he is.

But I agree with Black Plaid here; you have to base decisions on evidence; in this case, the data we have. and not the data we hope we will have later. There is insufficient data, to support any other conclusion that being as careful as one can be is necessary.

Infectious disease experts all over the world are saying this is different. My own physicians say it's different, and to be extra careful.

The more this spreads, the more vulnerable people will be likely to suffer and/or die. Why on earth should that be considered remotely OK? I don't think it is.

To say that the regular flu kills lots of people implies that's somehow OK, that's somehow acceptable. Yet my physicians insist I have flu vaccine every year, and I also got the pneumonia vaccine. I think they do that because they care whether I live or die.

Italy had 168 deaths today. A couple more people died in Washington. That's OK? That's not a big deal? That doesn't matter?

Citation needed

It's being reported the average age of the recent deceased in Italy is 80. That should put things very much into perspective.

So that means half are younger than 80.

This really isn't about who's right or wrong about death percentages; it's simply to say that we all should be careful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back