Who's going to Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm still amazed at the mass hysteria surrounding this virus. I was afraid to say anything like this earlier, and am glad I finally read comments like these!
The frenzy of buying "supplies" has been a bit weird. We just discussed this at work: on the face of it, it doesn't seem much worse than H1N1 etc. However, I think what has a lot of people worked up is the ability to be a vector without symptoms.

But there are impacts that affect day-to-day lives:

The FL DoH has put out a statement advising all international travelers to self-isolate for two weeks when they return to the US. Since we have a fair amount of international travel in what we do, this impacts us. And an advisory today can become a mandatory order tomorrow. So I'm not sending any of my personnel overseas for now, because I don't want them stuck at home for two weeks when they return - telecommuting is possible in some cases, but far from ideal.

As others have stated, lots of people have already died from the flu. And heart disease. And diabetes. And suicide. etc, etc.
I do find the comparison to non-transmissible diseases a bit unfortunate - you aren't the only one. I cannot "catch" heart disease from someone sitting next to me on a 16 hour flight to Sydney. Yes, those are awful conditions that kill many people each year. But they aren't viral contagions.

I do find the comparison to non-transmissible diseases a bit unfortunate - you aren't the only one. I cannot "catch" heart disease from someone sitting next to me on a 16 hour flight to Sydney. Yes, those are awful conditions that kill many people each year. But they aren't viral contagions.

Correct. But you can catch the flu. We're at about 100,000 cases of corona virus world wide, and about 34 million flu cases. The death rate is hovering around 3% for corona virus(flu kills more people due to the sheer number infected) while the flu is about 0.1%(US). How do you pref=vent corona virus? Same way you prevent flu. The x-factor is the incubation period you mentioned...much longer for corona than flu. It would be interesting to see the work lost if the infection rate reached biblical proportions vs the work lost to quarantine(voluntary or imposed). Again, unless the person is elderly/immune compromised, corona virus doesn't seem any worse than the flu. It will be interesting these next few days/weeks to see how it all unfolds.

NeIeg0D.gif

I’m flying in, so I suppose you could say my exposure chances are higher.

Well, duh.

Planes don't fly on the ground, so of course your chances will be higher. :rolleyes:

Correct. But you can catch the flu. We're at about 100,000 cases of corona virus world wide, and about 34 million flu cases. The death rate is hovering around 3% for corona virus(flu kills more people due to the sheer number infected) while the flu is about 0.1%(US). How do you pref=vent corona virus? Same way you prevent flu. The x-factor is the incubation period you mentioned...much longer for corona than flu. It would be interesting to see the work lost if the infection rate reached biblical proportions vs the work lost to quarantine(voluntary or imposed). Again, unless the person is elderly/immune compromised, corona virus doesn't seem any worse than the flu. It will be interesting these next few days/weeks to see how it all unfolds.

I think the biggest factor is the unknown. This is still a novel disease to most people, so they have no idea how it's going to act, how easy it is to actually get, etc. Yes, a lot more people die of the flu. We know how the flu spreads, and yet it still infects millions, as pointed out. This is currently running at about 34x the mortality rate of the flu, so if this gets spread as wide as the flu, it's going to be a huge problem.

All that said, the vast majority of our information is coming from an industry whose business depends on getting people to click on their articles, watch their channels, etc. And nobody's going to be dragged in by, "Here's a disease that is really bad but you're not likely to get right now." So instead you get, "HOLY SH!T WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!" Think about your local news stations - I'll bet almost every one of us (especially in the US) has a local channel that delivers their weather from the Severe Weather Team or the Storm Center. Even in the summer when it's sunny and pleasant.

All that said, the vast majority of our information is coming from an industry whose business depends on getting people to click on their articles, watch their channels, etc. And nobody's going to be dragged in by, "Here's a disease that is really bad but you're not likely to get right now." So instead you get, "HOLY SH!T WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!" Think about your local news stations - I'll bet almost every one of us (especially in the US) has a local channel that delivers their weather from the Severe Weather Team or the Storm Center. Even in the summer when it's sunny and pleasant.
This is what bothers me about it all. Like you said, we have thunderstorms these days, and you can't even watch a TV show because they keep cutting into it with these "severe weather updates." Freakin drives me crazy! It's a freakin thunderstorm, that we used to grab a 6 pack and a joint and drive out to some back road to sit in the car and party and watch the lightning. Now it's multiple intrusive levels of updates constantly while I'm in my home, over a THUNDERSTORM! Everything is "severe" and "take shelter" and "don't be on the roads unless you absolutely must..." I drove in this crap when was 16 in an old car. Get over it. It's all just HYPE-HYPE-HYPE to grab your attention and draw attention by creating fear. They even try to draw you in with "stay tuned in tonight because we'll be providing updates as the storm hits our area. You'll want to stay tuned so you can get our severe weather warning updates." Well thanks sparky, you just told me that I can't watch any TV show because you'll be cutting into it so many times you ruin the show, so ESPN it is!

So, if I were going to Experience, I sure wouldn't stay home because of this!

On a postive note, I haven't seen anyone picking their nose in almost two weeks. :)

I'll be there with my buddy again this year...I'm curious to see if there will be a "must have" guitar for either of us at the event this year? It's only happened once out of the three years that we've been...GAS will power!! LOL

Oh man...that's NO JOKE!!! Paul did that to me when I was debating over the purchase of a Private Stock! I don't know whom was more freaked out by that...myself of Brian G. of Brian's Guitars as it came towards him.

To bring the thread back to topic!

Paul launching guitars through the air at people is the thing of legends!

Yes, I have thoughts on the matter. Ignore the media. Ignore the fake news. Wash your hands. Don't get sneezed on. Use your toilet paper wisely (why has this even become an issue??!?!?!?!?) As others have stated, lots of people have already died from the flu. And heart disease. And diabetes. And suicide. etc, etc. Common sense has been lost or ignored completely, and a hysteria has unnecessarily been created over a weak form of the flu. Are you over 80? Are you immune compromised? If the answer is no, you're gonna be ok, even if you contract the virus. Take a deep breath. Use your head. Thank you for the rant opportunity.

We (my office)are being rationed the supplies we need to conduct our business because the uninformed sheep have listened to the fake reporting media and think masks(it doesn't stop the virus...it's too small) and gloves will save them. How long until the medical/dental field have to start asking for relief, or worse, we are unable to treat patients, because we can't get the necessary PPE due to the media created frenzy?

Actually, the above is simply a load of crap. Do your homework! Talk to your physician (I've talked to mine).

The flu has a two tenths of a percent death rate. COVID 19 has nearly a 4% death rate (3.7% as of today). For those needing hospitalization, studies show a 6% death rate. The death rate for folks with diabetes and heart disease - this includes me - is 14.5% as of today.

These are facts. Not made-up bs.

This is a very dangerous disease, and it's spreading exponentially. It is a GOOD idea to be careful and it is NOT fake news. There are people in their 50s on ventilators from this, and the average hospitalization for people who are seriously affected is ten days. As a comparison, my open heart surgery only hospitalized me for five days.

While there isn't a reason to panic (I mean, when is panic a good thing?), there IS a reason to be extremely prudent.

Intelligent people will be careful. You can call it whatever you want, and I wish you luck - and good health.

Last edited:
The death rate is hovering around 3% for corona virus(flu kills more people due to the sheer number infected) while the flu is about 0.1%(US)
... corona virus doesn't seem any worse than the flu.

You realize these are contradictory sentences, right?

3% is literally 30x worse than 0.1%

Last edited:
Actually, the above is simply a load of crap. Do your homework! Talk to your physician (I've talked to mine).

The flu has a two tenths of a percent death rate. COVID 19 has nearly a 4% death rate (3.7% as of today). For those needing hospitalization, studies show a 6% death rate. The death rate for folks with diabetes and heart disease - this includes me - is 14.5% as of today.

These are facts. Not made-up bs.

This is a very dangerous disease, and it's spreading exponentially. It is a GOOD idea to be careful and it is NOT fake news. There are people in their 50s on ventilators from this, and the average hospitalization for people who are seriously affected is ten days. As a comparison, my open heart surgery only hospitalized me for five days.

While there isn't a reason to panic (I mean, when is panic a good thing?), there IS a reason to be extremely prudent.

Intelligent people will be careful. You can call it whatever you want, and I wish you luck - and good health.
To add on to this, don't just think "If I get it, I'll be fine." because you can pass it on while you are asymptomatic to someone for whom it will be life-threatening.

So, don't panic, but also don't be a selfish idiot.

I’m following information from the WHO and CDC. The disease is real, the hysteria is hype. As Les noted, you have to intelligently consider the threat based on reliable information and your own sensitivities. This isn’t the first threat of pandemic the world has seen, and won’t be the last.

Educate yourself, and make calm and informed decisions. If you stay home, practice. Make better music when you return. ;)

You realize these are contradictory sentences, right?

3% is literally 30x worse than 0.1%

You are correct...My bad..not stated correctly. Yes contradictory. Death rate definitely worse.

Symptoms in the same ballpark.( More respiratory issues with corona virus if I understand correctly)

Getting back to your original question, I think event planners are looking at the situation and making decisions based on what local health authorities as well as the CDC is recommending. Countries in Europe are cancelling all sporting events, or having them without fans present. On the complete flip side, I got an email this afternoon about a conference I have at Disney 2 days before Experience. It's still on, but they "are paying close attention to this evolving situation". So I guess we'll see?

Last edited:
I must apologize for derailing the thread so severely - while I agree that we should all educate ourselves on the potential threat, and that the media is not surprisingly a bit hyper-reactive to this (just like anything), I was far more interested in whether folks thought this kind of event (you know, Experience PRS 2020) was likely to go on, based on what was happening in their neck of the woods and/or what they observed [inter]nationally.

So, to get us back on track...what kind of Limited edition do you think PRS is looking to release for Exp 2020? Some new variation of the 594 platform, like a new semi-hollow but with the 2020 specs? Or a Korina McCarty throwback? Or they discovered 1000 neck blanks of Pernambuco in Paul's attic, and they'll be offered on any current PRS model?

So, to get us back on track...what kind of Limited edition do you think PRS is looking to release for Exp 2020? Some new variation of the 594 platform, like a new semi-hollow but with the 2020 specs? Or a Korina McCarty throwback? Or they discovered 1000 neck blanks of Pernambuco in Paul's attic, and they'll be offered on any current PRS model?

Some crazy Silver Sky colors/configurations would melt my credit card...

I must apologize for derailing the thread so severely - while I agree that we should all educate ourselves on the potential threat, and that the media is not surprisingly a bit hyper-reactive to this (just like anything), I was far more interested in whether folks thought this kind of event (you know, Experience PRS 2020) was likely to go on, based on what was happening in their neck of the woods and/or what they observed [inter]nationally.

Definitely a Santana version of the SSH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back