Who Would You Want To Front Your Band?

Me of course! Lol I can wow them when I have my stage clothes on and can put a show on like no tomorrow. Ya, I am the captain of my ship. I have that much confidence. And if you don’t like me, there’s the door. Don’t let it hit your ass on the way out.

I think what helped immensely was teaching classes and body building. It gave me the discipline to get the job done which can relates to most aspects of life.

This is absolutely the attitude you must possess in order to succeed. This is all hype though my favourite place to be is by myself playing my PRS. Ironic eh?
This is an interesting post for further discussion. As it happens, I agree with you - self-confidence is key to a great performer's ability to inspire.

I have a ten year old granddaughter who's done, I dunno, maybe a hundred pro musical theater performances. I asked her if she ever gets nervous. She said, very confidently, "No. I was born to be on stage."

And she gave me that winning smile.

Ten years old. She knows the secret. Know who you are. Be prepared and confident in what you do. You were born to do whatever it is you love doing.

"What were you born to do, Les?"

"Um...born to post on message boards??" :rolleyes::oops:

This is an interesting post for further discussion. As it happens, I agree with you - self-confidence is key to a great performer's ability to inspire.

I have a ten year old granddaughter who's done, I dunno, maybe a hundred pro musical theater performances. I asked her if she ever gets nervous. She said, very confidently, "No. I was born to be on stage."

Ten years old. She knows the secret. Know who you are. Be prepared and confident in what you do. You were born to do whatever it is you love doing.

Your granddaughters confidence reminds me of when I (at age of 11) signed up to be the star of the 6th grade school play! I had no doubt that I would be Tom Sawyer in the Adventures of TS, and it was the only role I signed up for. By the time auditions came around, I had already memorized the lines for the part, so when the teacher said "Scene 4 Act 1", I looked at the lines (I had not memorized the numbers of the scenes and acts), threw down the book and delivered it perfectly. Both teachers jaws dropped as we had only received the script days before!!! It was a great experience as the lead, I even sang 3 solos a cappella (which took more training than anything else for me in that endeavor) for that role and it was the only part that made me nervous because I had to work so hard to get that stuff right! The rest of it was natural for me, including being on stage!! My confidence is still waxing and grows with each song I add to my setlist and make my own, in one way or several others!!! Per my song "The Mirror" written in 2004:

I'm OK
My soul is just fine
I'm just like god made me
That's one of a kind
And if you got nuttin' good
To say about me
It's time that you exit
There's the door please

I have always been fearless in front of a crowd. I still think I would prefer to have someone else as the nominal frontman so I could focus more on the music.

I’ve always cared more about being the person who made things right than the person who got the glory - notably in a busy setting, often getting things right makes some people unhappy.

I have always been fearless in front of a crowd. I still think I would prefer to have someone else as the nominal frontman so I could focus more on the music.

I’ve always cared more about being the person who made things right than the person who got the glory - notably in a busy setting, often getting things right makes some people unhappy.
I've never had a problem performing or public speaking. Both are things I've always done.

I'm also more than happy to hog the glory while you get things right, so I think we should form a band! :cool:

I’m with you, veinbuster. My goal has always been to be part of something special musically, because the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. I played big band and musical theater for many years, and that colored my thinking. Synergy is the most powerful musical thing I know.

I have always wanted to myself but I never have. I am far better singer than guitar player (although that doesn't take much). I keep saying "maybe someday."

I have always wanted to myself but I never have. I am far better singer than guitar player (although that doesn't take much). I keep saying "maybe someday."
Silvertree, here's my thinking:

Life goes by too quickly to not do what you'd most like to do!

"But Les, you were crazy enough to leave the practice of law and go into composing 30 years ago. I bet you have regrets!"

"Regrets? Certainly. But that's not one of them." :)

Silvertree, here's my thinking:

Life goes by too quickly to not do what you'd most like to do!

"But Les, you were crazy enough to leave the practice of law and go into composing 30 years ago. I bet you have regrets!"

"Regrets? Certainly. But that's not one of them." :)
Very true, Les. I tell myself that often enough. Then I make a bunch of excuses about being old, having younger children at home, not really knowing anyone in the area, etc. I really appreciate the encouragement though.

Very true, Les. I tell myself that often enough. Then I make a bunch of excuses about being old, having younger children at home, not really knowing anyone in the area, etc. I really appreciate the encouragement though.

I think a few of us here have taken a hiatus whilst family grow up.

I now play in a band with my wife and kids. Great fun.

Edit:

This photo was taken 2 years ago. My son (no Alan, not the bass player!) is now almost same height as me!

Last edited:
I think a few of us here have taken a hiatus whilst family grow up.

I now play in a band with my wife and kids. Great fun.

Edit:

This photo was taken 2 years ago. My son (no Alan, not the bass player!) is now almost same height as me!
Great looking family, Alnus (I realize some aren't in your family of course)!

Hey, Paul McCartney is out touring and he just turned 80. Still kills it at shows.

He's not doing it because he has to worry about paying the bills.

Back