Who Would You Want To Front Your Band?

Need to think back a few years...Ian Gillan...Chris Cornell...Paul Rodgers...Brad Delp (formerly of Boston), Phil Collins, Grace Slick, Beth Hart, maybe the famous guy with the PRS Silver Sky endorsement, or as backing singers...CSN, Boyz II Men...etc....

Without a doubt Chris Cornell. I could hash out his ridiculous usable vocal range, his massive influence on rock music, or his longevity in the scene as the reason for my obsession, but above all else he is my #1 because of the effect he had on my personal musical endeavors. I had always played guitar, but I never put much thought or effort into singing until I first heard Chris's music. I vividly remember spending one summer hanging out in my buddy's back yard almost every night, and on my drives home I'd blast Like a Stone and a few other Audioslave classics. I'd always belt along to them, but the perfectionist in me would notice when I wasn't "hitting" notes and it'd drive me nuts. I'd work on certain portions of the song again and again until I could squeak out the right note. Eventually I started setting my phone up to record these mini-performances so that I could watch them back over for critiquing purposes. I found a love for singing that summer that I've held with me for years now. Eventually I actually ended up making it into my old college's acapella group, performing a handful of shows on my own, and singing lead for a few shows in the dorms.

Without a doubt Chris Cornell. I could hash out his ridiculous usable vocal range, his massive influence on rock music, or his longevity in the scene as the reason for my obsession, but above all else he is my #1 because of the effect he had on my personal musical endeavors. I had always played guitar, but I never put much thought or effort into singing until I first heard Chris's music. I vividly remember spending one summer hanging out in my buddy's back yard almost every night, and on my drives home I'd blast Like a Stone and a few other Audioslave classics. I'd always belt along to them, but the perfectionist in me would notice when I wasn't "hitting" notes and it'd drive me nuts. I'd work on certain portions of the song again and again until I could squeak out the right note. Eventually I started setting my phone up to record these mini-performances so that I could watch them back over for critiquing purposes. I found a love for singing that summer that I've held with me for years now. Eventually I actually ended up making it into my old college's acapella group, performing a handful of shows on my own, and singing lead for a few shows in the dorms.
Cornell was amazing! Off topic, but a cool Chris Cornell story. A buddy of mine played drums in a Chicago area band. This had to be at least 20 years ago. They were playing the small stage at the Chicago HOB, and were doing Black Hole Sun. Some dude walks to the front of the stage and asks if he can join them. Yep, it was Chris Cornell.

Me of course! Lol I can wow them when I have my stage clothes on and can put a show on like no tomorrow. Ya, I am the captain of my ship. I have that much confidence. And if you don’t like me, there’s the door. Don’t let it hit your ass on the way out.

I think what helped immensely was teaching classes and body building. It gave me the discipline to get the job done which can relates to most aspects of life.

This is absolutely the attitude you must possess in order to succeed. This is all hype though my favourite place to be is by myself playing my PRS. Ironic eh?

Last edited:
Just because I dare to be differant:

Deen Castronovo

The dude sings Journey better than Arnel, and pounds the drumset into the floor. All I need now is a Bassest that plays Keys and a Guitar player with real blond hair.

Back