Who said Prs guitars can't do drop tuning...metal core...oh ya!

sleary

Local band from London,Ontario ,Canada . Only 45 minutes from me too. They even played oz fest....

Last edited by a moderator:
Any guitar can do drop tunings really. People have this misconception that you must use thicker gauge strings to keep the guitar from sounding muddy/sloppy, but fact is if your going to use that tuning you should dedicate the guitar to that tuning and have it set up for it.

An SE no less.

And when did Kittie start growling? Last i heard them was Funeral for Yesterday

I remember Opeth did drop tunings on PRSes on the Blackwater Park album, and so do the guitarist of As I Lay Dying. At some point in the past, Jim Root of Slipknot played a PRS too. And recently, Clint Lowery also did a signature model designed for like, Drop B/A tuning? Not to mention, Alter Bridge has been a Drop Db band for most of the part, sometimes even going down to Drop B/A#.

I've done drop tunings with my SE as well in the past, mostly Drop C with 11-54 strings, but I've settled down on 9-42s in standard tuning now, and occasionally toy with Drop D. I've found an alternative way to sound heavy instead of tuning down all the time. I'd say as long as the string tension fits the scale length right (heavier gauge on shorter scales etc.), any tuning is possible on any guitar.

:beer:

Back