Who here plays and likes the Mira?

clasbtenn

I am contemplating buying a Mira to hold me over while I wait for my 594 PS, which will take about 6 months.
Those of you who play in commercial cover bands, or record,..How do you like the Mira, and is it flexible enough for your tastes to cover a lot of what you are playing?

Thank you in advance for any info you may wish to offer. :)
Stephen

Last edited:
I am contemplating buying a Mira to hold me over while I wait for my 594 PS, which will take about 6 months.
Those of you who play in commercial cover bands, or record,..How do you like the Mira, and is it flexible enough for your tastes to cover a lot of what you are playing?

Thank you in advance for any info you may wish to offer. :)
Stephen
Are you looking at getting an S2 Mira or finding a used Core Mira?

I can't speak for the Core Mira, as I've never played one. When I was looking at the S2 line, I played just about everything in the line. The Mira is a really nice guitar. It reminds me a bit of an SG or an LP junior double cut. It makes for a great rock or blues guitar, but it didn't seem flexible enough for me. I ended up going with an S2 Custom 24 because it seemed a bit more flexible to me. So it really just depends what you're looking for.

Are you looking at getting an S2 Mira or finding a used Core Mira?

I can't speak for the Core Mira, as I've never played one. When I was looking at the S2 line, I played just about everything in the line. The Mira is a really nice guitar. It reminds me a bit of an SG or an LP junior double cut. It makes for a great rock or blues guitar, but it didn't seem flexible enough for me. I ended up going with an S2 Custom 24 because it seemed a bit more flexible to me. So it really just depends what you're looking for.

I was also looking at an S2 24 satin, and an S2 single cut satin, but found a few core Mira's for the same money. I thought they might be a better buy. I listened to some youtube video's, but haven't played anything yet.

I liked the 24 model that I held. The single cut seems to have better and more flexible controls on it and a slightly bigger sound. I'm on the fence, but I appreciate your input. It may cause me to change my mind, and I would consider that a positive thing. Thank you, drdoom! :)

Core Miras and S2 Miras are similar only in name. They are spec-wise quite different animals.

The Core model has 24 frets, S2 22... Core had a Wide/Thin option, plus all the other S2 vs Core differences.

The Core Mira is/was awesome. The S2 is good - didn't excite me quite as much but that's S2 vs Core for ya.

At the moment, the semi-hollow S2 Mira is fairly heavily discounted in the UK, and I wonder if it's going to be discontinued. It would be my first choice in an S2 Mira (compared to the solid version).

There is also a Core Mira 245 Soapbar - short scale/P90s/22 fret. It's the best of the lot IMO (I have one) but it was only made for one year in 2010.

All things being equal Core > S2 to me but YMMV depending on the spec you're after.

Last edited:
I prefered the S2 Mira over my core one. I had a 2008. The splits were a tad anemic-sounding on it. I did prefer having the mini toggle for splits rather than a push-pull tone pot though.

I owned a 25th Anny Mira w/soapbars for exactly one day. It was the last one Musicians Friend had in stock at the time, as they were discounting what they had left to get out of them. Loved the guitar, except for me the neck was too small. I hadn't researched Miras that much, so I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger. Shipped it back the next day.

If I ever find the right Mira X, I'll probably give it a try as they supposedly have bigger necks.

I have a 2007 core Mira. Liked the pickups so much I bought an additional set for an SE tremonti custom. The split coils on mine really have a good single coil sound. It`s a keeper. It does Rock, blues, rhythm and blues, and soul really well.

I've got two 2008 core Miras and a 2010 25th Anni Mira 245 soapbar too... guess you could say I think they're pretty good guitars ;)

The soapbar is in a class all it's own, but my 2008s are great gigging guitars; I've used one of them in a hard rock cover band for years and its excellent tones and chameleon versatility have never let me down. I promised my wife I would sell one of my Mira cores to help pay for my recently acquired Helix, but I've managed to sadly be unable to find the time to take pictures and post it on Kijiji so far... and the credit card's paid off... and I'm thinking her memory isn't likely that long... :D

I used to own one; sold it. It was a core model, I think this was back before the S2 or the Mira X (2009-2011 was when I owned it I think). It was a cool guitar but I couldn't bond with it. I'm not sure what it was but it didn't have the tonal character that I like of most PRS models. It cut through a mix well for sure, but IMO other PRS guitars do this just as well while maintaining a fuller sound for themselves. I think it also balanced kinda funny for me both sitting and standing.

I gig with my S2 Mira all the time, stays in tune perfectly and Im the lead guitarist so yeah Im bending that G string, but I have to tell you I also have a Satin 22 McCarty sunburst standard and it completely slays everything in my stable at the moment, for the record there are some satins going used on the GC site for al low as 650...great great great guitar....but yeah I do love the Mira as well.....

I have a 2008. I love it. Cuts through the mix better than most other guitars.

I have a 2008. I love it. Cuts through the mix better than most other guitars.

I have a 2007 Mira. Love it for the same reason. Sounds as much like Pete Townshend on Live at Leeds as any guitar I've ever played other than a proper era-correct SG Special.

At the 2007 (inaugural) PRS Experience I remember standing with Frankie Clarke (a well-known-to-the-longtime-forumites PRS player) watching the big Saturday night concert. Mike Ault held down the second guitar chair all night, playing a just-introduced Mira. He cut through the mix and sounded great all night long. Part of that is because Mike is a really strong player, of course, but it was obvious to Frankie and myself that the Mira was an exceptional guitar. We both thought it had that magical "thing" -- cutting through a dense mix is a lot of it -- that all those great Les Paul and SG Juniors and Specials from the '50s and '60s have.

Kingsley handed me a Mira at the 2007 event - first time I touched one. Bought one shortly thereafter.

I'm thinking about trading it towards another PS build, but then you guys have to go and build it up and make me question myself!

Kingsley handed me a Mira at the 2007 event - first time I touched one. Bought one shortly thereafter.

I'm thinking about trading it towards another PS build, but then you guys have to go and build it up and make me question myself!

I've bought and sold more than a few PRS guitars over the years. The Mira has stayed around for a reason.

Back