Who here has eagle eyes.... I spy a PRS

Going back to the original post, the switching on that guitar looks like 408 (not Signature Limited, which has a toggle) all the way. They did have trems available on those. The clue that I can't quite track down is the truss rod cover, which looks like it has a couple of rows of text on it, in line with the 2nd and 4th strings. Can't remember seeing that before, but it might be a tip that it's some kind of limited edition, or maybe just a custom TRC.

Here's a still:

EYHhaJDVAAA8KDR

I would guess a 408 with a custom TRC

Looks like a 408 to me.
I did have the opportunity to play two Paul’s Guitars side by side. One had the stoptail and the other was a trem. Definitely a difference in the guitars. The sttoptail was drier sounding and more aggressive. The trem had more bloom and sympathetic resonance. I assume this was due to the springs of the trem system. I have a Brent Mason Signature and the trem model had a very similar sound to that. The stoptail was definitely a different sounding guitar.

Thanks for all of the input. Near the end of the video, I saw a brief (like 1/4 of a sec) shot of the bridge pickup and yup, it’s a 408!

:)

I’ve never played a PG so now I’m wondering how it differs from a 408 (if both have same specs, ie both have either terms or stoptails). I’ve had a couple 408s.

I thought the Paul’s Guitars were McCarty thickness while the 408s were the same as the Customs. ???

I thought the Paul’s Guitars were McCarty thickness while the 408s were the same as the Customs. ???

Yes, my 408s seemed to be the same thickness as my Customs... anybody have a PG and a McCarty to confirm?

It's a 408.
The truss rod probably has the owner's name on it.
He probably had it made by that guy Scott in Canada.

It's a 408.
The 2 lines of text on the TRC are probably the guys name.
He probably had the TRC made by that guy Scott Swirski in Canada.
He does nice inlay work. (The guy in Canada, not the owner... )

Wwxw5Iw.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a 408 to me.
I did have the opportunity to play two Paul’s Guitars side by side. One had the stoptail and the other was a trem. Definitely a difference in the guitars. The sttoptail was drier sounding and more aggressive. The trem had more bloom and sympathetic resonance. I assume this was due to the springs of the trem system. I have a Brent Mason Signature and the trem model had a very similar sound to that. The stoptail was definitely a different sounding guitar.
That’s what I’ve noticed over the years too, the big difference between stoptail and trem guitar tones. I’m guessing one end of a string sitting on a hard surface is a different beast as compared to a relatively flexible surface. Different external excitation makes the whole string move differently.

Back