Who here has an obscene amount of guitars?

"if I had a million dollars...I'd end up with a lot less than a million dollars, but some cool guitars..."

That's a great quote / signature.... :D

I should probably only have one guitar, as I am a beginner. And I have more than one. So yes, I fall into that category.
Heck no.
If you're a beginner, you don't even know what type of guitar suits you, so having more than one helps you find the right one so you'll be happy and keep playing.

Then when you are experienced, you need more than one, well just because.

Not sure who is qualified to decide how many is obscene. I have enough.
3 Acoustics:
19 Electrics:
2 basses:
8 amps:

I definitely have an obscene amount. Not nearly as many as some people on here. But if you factor in the fact that I am just learning to play then it is unquestionably obscene.
6 electrics
1 acoustic.

I say - 20 guitars is obscene.

My wife says - 2 guitars is obscene.

We have come to a mutually satisfactory agreement.

The CINC-HOUSE approved number is five. I'm allowed to have 5 guitars. Period. Dot. End of sentence.

I have four, now. Gotta be picky for the grand finale...and that Satin Vela thingy is making me contemplate the meaning of life!

Hmmm, let's see....
6 PRS Core models
2 Heritage Guitars. (1 solid, 1 semi-hollow)
7 world class all tube guitar amps
1 mandolin
1 banjo
1 Seagull acoustic guitar
PDP drum set with Sabian XXA cymbal and Axis direct drive double bass pedals.
1 Carvin 5 string bass
1 Ernie Ball.Music Man 4 string bass.
1 Carvin 350w 2x10" bass amp with 1x18" extension cabinet
Starting to collect audio & video recording gear.
I'm out of rum.

I say - 20 guitars is obscene.
I have four, now. Gotta be picky for the grand finale...and that Satin Vela thingy is making me contemplate the meaning of life!
I fail to see why 20 is the number. 100+ are common for the few lucky or brilliant enough to have the disposable income. If the argument is that you can't play 100+ in any reasonable amount of time, there is still the wall art and investment arguments. I've got 24 so I'm in the obscene category I guess. I don't play all of them in the course of a year, but I've got about $20K invested, and if I sold them at today's used prices I'd get about $30K back. A $10K upside seems like a pretty good reason to have this particular hobby.

As for your 5 guitar limit, there is always the "one in one out" game. GAS never ends....

Staging my own intervention.......A couple years back I finally counted and could no longer deny the number had crept past 100. Cut the number down by 23 in 2016 alone. I forget the numbers for 2014 and 2015. My plan is to sell one additional per month in 2017. Thus far on track with 1 gone by Jan 10.

Staging my own intervention.......A couple years back I finally counted and could no longer deny the number had crept past 100. Cut the number down by 23 in 2016 alone. I forget the numbers for 2014 and 2015. My plan is to sell one additional per month in 2017. Thus far on track with 1 gone by Jan 10.

Smart move. By the end of the year, guitars will be worthless, due to the resurgence in popularity of the accordion.

Back