Who has committed to Paul's Guitar...

38Roars

Bless the Blues
I'm hearing about a special FBJ that might be available ....

I thought about it, but decided against it. I don't see the point in adding one to my herd just for the smaller bridge pickup, which I'm not sure about. I'm also not a fan of non-nitro finishes.

What's so special about the FBJ you've come across? NAMM model?

I don't see the point in adding one to my herd just for the smaller bridge pickup, which I'm not sure about

Interesting observation. If anyone asked me which of the two 408 pickups on my guitar I think does cooler things, I'd probably say the wider bridge pickup.

Don't get me wrong, I like the neck pickup, but when I use that guitar most of my work will be done with the bridge. So I'm curious as to how the narrower one works out at the bridge.

Didn't Markie post a thread not too long ago about his observations between the two in the bridge?

I'm with you Les - for me, the bridge pickup is the workhorse in my 408 guitars and I'm more than happy with it!

Call me vain. But as cool as the specs are, I think those "brush stroke Birds" are laughable. I AM very interested in checking out one of the Brazilian 408s when they hit the streets.

Call me vain. But as cool as the specs are, I think those "brush stroke Birds" are laughable.

Not vain. But I love those inlays! It's funny how different we all are in reacting to design/art.

Then again, I love (and own a fair amount of) Asian art, which these birds remind me of, especially the calligraphy.

I'm with you Les - for me, the bridge pickup is the workhorse in my 408 guitars and I'm more than happy with it!

It's a sweet pickup. I'm really happy with mine, too. Now that I've logged some time with it, I can see why you've sort of specialized in guitars with 408s. You play another guitar, and you feel a bit hampered by its limitations!

However, I 'd love to play/hear the narrower one, if only out of curiosity!

Last edited:
Told you they were good, didn't I ;)

You did! And one of the reasons I looked into them was your enthusiasm for the model! They are more than good. They're different from other pickups, but in a gorgeous and useful way. They have an incredible ability to be tailored to one's needs, but also have a beautiful shimmer when you want it that nothing else has, even in 'bucker mode.

Addictive.

Nothing has that huge sound of my SC58's 53/10 neck pickup, and the Artist V is a classic sounding monster, but the 408s are a creative player's wet dream. ;)

Last edited:
I personally prefer the more focussed Stratty neck tone of the 408s, when compared to a full fat SC58 (for example) - so you can see why the Sig model works for me, especially live where that bassy tone gets lost in the mix.

I do occasionally like bluesing out on the neck 57/08 of my PS SC245 though ;)

My FBJ is in the mail... stay tuned for NGD (e.t.a. 2 weeks).

ox3AAY4.png

Score!!! Love the 'dirty' quilt tops on these especially...

Back