Who Am I

ronalr

Sorry guys I have not been around much...dealing with my dad
I wrote this song about my father and Dementia/Alzheimer's over a year and a half ago. We just finished the song and video, kind of surreal because Dad is in a nursing home at the moment. Was rushed to the hospital a week ago and then sent to nursing... This song has been through a lot of changes with different musicians helping ....this final version was produced by Ken Horanoff (our bass player in Sunset Dadeze) I sent the lyrics to Art in Krakow and he wrote a new chord progression. I just was not happy with the music I wrote and his version fit better for the song. I tried to sing it but just couldn't get it right so I asked Lindy McNutt from our band to sing it. Bob Sturgill added 12 string guitar and I played lead guitar and screams!!! you will here my wife Suzanne talking in the intro telling Dad to get up...please share this with anyone who has felt the sadness of Dementia or Alzheimer's if you like it lots of early pictures of dad and some of me and mom
Best compliment so far....Greg Connor (co wrote Takin Home the Pretty one for Dirty Thump) said he really loves Art's guitar playing on this...Had to tell him it was all me...Art wrote the chord progression and inspired me to play my ass off...Thanks Art for you friendship and collaboration!! If everyone shares this we will split the royalties!!!! hope this is not to depressing for you all share it with anyone who takes care of a loved one with this terrible disease Thanks!!!

Wow, I don't know what else to say but Wow.. That was so moving. 2 thumbs up for the guitar licks. Just when I was about to get misty eyed, there was your dad sitting on the sofa smiling and I got the biggest grin on my face at that time.. thanks for sharing with the world.. Stay safe and be strong..

Man...my heart goes out to you bro. Great work...so evocative.

I've lost two family members to this horrendous disease.

Hang in there and keep purging the pain thru your music..sending bro hugs and positive vibes to you and yours my friend.

Great song and video. This gives the kind of inside view of this disease that people not dealing with it don’t see. It’s a human story, not a medical one.

Thanks all for the the comments and support....My mom passed away almost 3 years ago from the same thing, her brain would not let her swallow anymore, right now Dad seems happy at the nursing home...of course has not asked about me at all. on Fathers day he told me he never had any children....I have learned to just laugh and realize it is not him...at least he is in a safe place .. we can not see him because of the covid 19 lock down on nursing homes so Dementia is actually a good thing for him right now he just sits in his chair watching TV like he did at home!!! All of the music and video was recorded at our own homes and sent to studio...our bass player owns the recording studio and produces us so he mixed everything and did the video as well...we just had our first rehearsal since March..feels good to play with live people again!!!

One of the most difficult things in life is watching one's parents slowly age,
knowing you can't fix it or fight it and knowing where the situation is going.
My parents are long gone now but I remember what it was like and am now
at an age where my own children are watching myself and Mrs. M. grow older.
I feel for you and am sorry I do not have any words to ease what you feel.

My dad who lives with us has the slow progressive dementia. It’s heartbreaking. His sense of reality continues to shrink.
I thank you for caring and sharing and capturing the impact of this cruel disease. Your song resonates and is exceptional.
Thank you

I saw this a while back. I lost my grandmother and my favorite aunt a fews years back to this horrible disease. It's a truly amazing thing to witness if you haven't seen it. Music really is the most powerful medicine. It's a very moving doc and I highly recommend checking it out. Hope things are going well Ron. Bro hugs!

Back