White Haze

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
I have a 20th anniversary Singlecut in black cherry that is getting a white haze in the paint in certain areas. I can’t say it is a reaction to light or anything as the guitar spends a lot of time in its case. Any ideas what this is? Is this something PRS would warranty since I am the original owner? Still a killer guitar, I’m just wondering what is going on and can I keep it from spreading.

I have a cu24 with the cloudiness and from what I can tell it's from inadequate drying time between coats during the finishing process. Mine is second hand and haven't tried to contact PTC. It doesn't really bother me as it's on the back side and doesn't effect playability.

I have a cu24 with the cloudiness and from what I can tell it's from inadequate drying time between coats during the finishing process. Mine is second hand and haven't tried to contact PTC. It doesn't really bother me as it's on the back side and doesn't effect playability.
I think it's more a function of the poly finishes simply not adhering well because of their ingredients. I had it on a couple of my poly PRSes over the years.

PRS did fix mine under warranty, but they were pretty new at the time.

I also had the issue, only much worse, on a very expensive Taylor. They also repaired it.

I think it's more a function of the poly finishes simply not adhering well because of their ingredients. I had it on a couple of my poly PRSes over the years.

PRS did fix mine under warranty, but they were pretty new at the time.

I also had the issue, only much worse, on a very expensive Taylor. They also repaired it.
It could be, but I still prefer to blame an intern.. When I had an automotive restoration business it was typically prep or dry. Apples to oranges but some of the principals apply.

I have it just starting on another PRS both of them appear to only be in the clear coat. It's not bad and doesn't bother me at all. A guitar is a tool around my house, amateur tool but bumps and bruises happen. The cloudy also allowed me to get my Cu24 at a steal of a deal. Zero complaints. I'd buy it again in much worse condition without hesitation.

It could be, but I still prefer to blame an intern.. When I had an automotive restoration business it was typically prep or dry. Apples to oranges but some of the principals apply.

I have it just starting on another PRS both of them appear to only be in the clear coat. It's not bad and doesn't bother me at all. A guitar is a tool around my house, amateur tool but bumps and bruises happen. The cloudy also allowed me to get my Cu24 at a steal of a deal. Zero complaints. I'd buy it again in much worse condition without hesitation.
You bet, they're wonderful tools for making music.

The only car restoration I ever worked on was helping a friend restore a Ferrari that had been owned by Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. And oh heck yes I got to drive it when it was done!

But I was there basically as an assistant for my buddy, and I didn't plan any of the work. The car came out amazing; he also completely redid the interior and paint; it was a frame-off job. The engine was sent out for restoration, too. The lacquer and leather interior were done by professionals.

Hey, maybe you worked on the restoration of that part of it!?!

I should note that it was a long time ago, when I could do things like help install an engine. Now I'd be a liability, not a help!

Back