White goo on my Phase III tuners! Help

Symphox

PRS Noob and counting
Hey all!

I just got a guitar here with P3 tuners, literally 5 days ago. I am in Florida and while I am trying to control the humidity around this guitar, depending on how the sun hits the house, it can range between 50-70%. The guitar is stored at 70*F

I have ordered a dehumidifying solution to try and keep the RH under 60% all the time.

Has anyone ever seen a white goo on these kinds of tuner gears? Is this typical of these tuners? Is this corrosion? Is there anything I can do to fix it and prevent it from happening again?

Pictures below

Image-from-i-OS-4.jpg

I believe that is just a little bit of grease for the gears. I just looked at my MEV, and there is a little of that on my tuners. I also looked at a 594 that I ordered, and installed PIII tuners on. There is some on those as well. Nothing I would worry about.

That just looks like some stray polish to me. I'd wipe it down and see what happens in a few days. My guess is the shop polished it up for you to make it nice and pretty and just missed a couple spots wiping it down. This question pops up a lot, but usually with stuff left in the pores in the fingerboard. It looks to me like the D tuner got partially wiped off, but the low E is the giveaway - it looks like the cloth swiped across it diagonally.

Back