While there are a number of incredible figured woods, does anything beat.............

So how does walnut compare to mahogany in tone?

While those are very nice, I still prefer the top on your faded whale blue DGT :D.

As much as I love working with walnut, I have never owned a guitar using it. But a funny thing happened recently.....A buddy living 1000 miles away recently got one (Don't laugh---It is a headless Keisel!) He liked it so much (to his surprise) that (to my surprise) he shipped it to me just so i could try it out and give him MY opinion.

Well, I am very impressed. I am not going to BUY one, but it is a lot better than I expected. Lovely piece of milk chocolate satin finish walnut with matching neck through.....Well matched and I did a doubletake to be sure it was not all carved out of a single piece of wood. NO, it is not a highly figured piece of wood, but it is lovely and feels as good as it looks, plays and sounds. The pickups are a bit hotter than I prefer, but I will not mess with his setup.

I reckon I should get his permission before posting pix.

I can't tell much difference. I think walnut is an excellent tone wood. And, it's about the same density as mahogany.

Though generally I dont go much for highly figured tops, I've always loved walnut (mostly on furniture). I never thought of woods in terms of density (usually I check hardness using the Janka scale) but I found this. Looks like you are right on the money about density
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

So did you build these guitars? Well, kudos to whoever did...

That is among the most beautiful wood I have ever seen. Incredible.

Back