Which Two PRS - Gigging Edition

As many have said, the venerable Cu24.

Especially an old-school version with the sometimes maligned 5-way rotary and HFS/VB pickups! Seems that some users never took the time to understand how to get such seriously great sounds out of them. ;)

My Brent Mason would cover a lot of ground… but my second guitar would have to have P90’s and I am unsure if PRS still make a core one that has a chunky neck… so I would have to grab my Gibson … or is there a PRS that would cover that base ?

Last edited:
Most likely a HB piezo, though maybe not this one if the place was gungy
CK_159BurlHollowbodyBodyAAA.JPG

and Dirty 100
CK_025Dirty100Body.JPG

though I might sometimes replace the Dirty 100 with some Braz
CK_19ViolaFullFront.JPG

Hmm...

Strangely enough, my picks would probably not be my absolute favorite guitars, but the ones that combine some really nice things I like about some of my favorites, just to distill all that into two instruments.

First pick, S2 Satin 22 (feat. 59/09 bridge pickup), because the bridge pickup has an great midrange grunt similar to what I like in a singlecut, and the neck pickup is very articulate similar to my 594 DC. Second pick, S2 Studio, although the tones on the Silver Sky are tops when it comes to single coil "S" types, the Studio has a humbucker bridge, vs the single coil bridge in the SS, which although very good I still rarely use, and I can add some EQ on the Studio if needed to get closer to the SS when I want to. And, don't get me wrong, the Studio also has some tones that are their own great thing.

Whaddya know, I'm leaving the AP 594 and Silver Sky at home. They're ideal examples of their type, for sure, but I think it goes to show how smart the PRS design is, taking some of the best things from classic instruments and combining them into one. Oh, and what a smokin value the all-hog S2's are!!!

My 2001 McCarty gives me 95% of the sounds I need while playing out. This is usually assisted by my 2006 CE24 mahogany with 5 rotary switch. Though I have never needed a backup guitar in the nearly 4 years I've owned them, I do tend to take a couple with me (2014 LP Traditonal & 2016 Epiphone "JB" Firebird 1) just in case

My Brent Mason would cover a lot of ground… but my second guitar would have to have P90’s and I am unsure if PRS still make a core one that has a chunky neck… so I would have to grab my Gibson … or is there a PRS that would cover that base ?

PRS has done a number of P90 guitars in the past… you’d probably like a McSoapy.

When I was doing studio work, I used my Swamp Ash Special for everything (and carried a Tele for backup). Today I gig with a pair of S2, Custom 22's. One has the 85/15S pickups and the other has Porter pickups, for a vintage Gibson sound. I leave my core models at home.

100-2174.jpg

Last edited:

Not too long ago there was a run of 594 Soapbars; I have this one and love it:

TtHSCxL.jpg

I’ve seen these come up for sale occasionally.

There have also been core runs of McCarty Soapbars in past years, including some of the ‘Teds’ that were made.

For the sounds I actually use live? Just give me two S2s. A Standard 22 and a Singlecut Standard for drop/open tunings.

I could also do just a single Vela and cover almost every gig. I do original music, so my live sound is basically all bridge pickup anyway.

Back