Which Two PRS - Gigging Edition

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Screamingdaisy, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Screamingdaisy

TL;DR - If you could only have two PRS to gig with, which ones would you choose to cover all the sounds that you need? Not every sound possible… just the sounds that you actually need for the gigs that you play?

——————

Long story - I recently moved cross country and into a much smaller place, which involved a massive downsize in gear. I sold most of my guitars, including all my PRS, except a McCarty.

I almost sold the McCarty as well. The only two guitars I was supposed to keep were a Les Paul and a Telecaster. I figured with those two guitars I could get just about any sound I needed. I balked at the last minute and pulled my McCarty out of consignment.

The thing that saved it was that I can’t get an identically spec’d one anymore (original 85/15 and locking tuners) and that with the solid tailpiece it requires so little maintenance that it’s an ideal gigging guitar.

The thing is, the McCarty more or less makes my LP and Tele redundant. I can take that one guitar to a gig and get both those kind of sounds with a fraction of the maintenance headache. Conversely, the LP and Tele more or less make the McCarty redundant. The LP does a better LP, and the Tele does a better Tele, but it’s more maintenance and I need to swap guitars every time I want to swap sounds, which isn’t always practical.

So….. for the last week or so I’ve been pondering, what if all I had was a McCarty? Which PRS would I pair it with to get all the sounds I need that the McCarty isn’t particularly good at? I’m kind of thinking an old school Custom 24, but then I’m also thinking DGT, or maybe a semi-hollow of some sort, or a second McCarty with a high output bridge.

Anyway, if you could only have two PRS to gig with, which ones would you choose to cover all the sounds that you need? Not every sound possible… and not the sounds that I need, just the sounds that you actually need for the gigs that you play?

tyfu20, dogrocketp, Chops and 2 others like this.
  2. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

I played in a variety band for many years that covered everything from rock and blues to country and Motown, using two PRS guitars: a 513 Brazilian neck from 2007 and… another 513 Brazilian neck from 2007! From country clean to Santana smoldering, the 513 covered it.

I swapped many guitars in and out, but always came back to the 513. Even though I’m more playing a Hollowbody recently (594 HB and an HB Spruce), if returning to a “One Guitar to Rule Them All” scenario, the 513s would be in my road case.

dogrocketp, tyfu20, Chops and 6 others like this.
  3. Daniel Elam

Daniel Elam New Member

For me? A Silver Sky and a Custom 24.

4. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Custom 24-08, but I don't play professionally.

SinSir, LSchefman and alantig like this.
  5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I don't play out, but if I did, and I was picking from what I already have, it would be the ME-V and the SC594 Joe Walsh Ltd (and the Westie, cuz I could never sell it).

6. Jim Halinda

Jim Halinda New Member

My 35th anniversary SE Custom 24 is giving me all I need - 24 frets, whammy bar, treble bleed, and great humbucking and single coil sounds!

7. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Sticking only to guitars I own, assuming no need for backups...

If we're going production models, DGT and probably my Tremonti. Could potentially swap my 594 SC for the DGT, but I do like having my trem.

If we go outside prod, then I'd toss in my PS (McCarty, \m/ pickups) and probably my Silver Sky.

This all assumes I get another band some day and actually play out again.

8. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ Devil

Singlecut
    Cu22
    Easy!:)

9. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

I take my CU24 and use it for most songs. I also bring a CU Piezo 24 and use it for the rest especially Wanted and Simple Man.

dogrocketp, veinbuster and LSchefman like this.
  10. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I shall answer your question with a question: What do you find the McCarty isn't particularly good at? I think that should drive your decision since you want the new guitar to complement the McCarty.

For ME, I find that any PRS with the resistor coil tap gives me everything I need for a 4 set gig, playing country to rock. If just had a McCarty, I'd look for something with a trem to satisfy that occasional need for whammy bar action.

dogrocketp, ooglybong, bodia and 2 others like this.
  11. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

My Swamp Ash Special with Squabbin 57/08’s and my Standard 24 with Dragon 1 & HFS could cover a lot of ground and so everything I need.

12. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

P22 for Piezo and great bucker tones
    594 Soapy for the roar

Ugh... I hate choosing. Silver Sky deserves a home too

13. Tom Bradovich

Tom Bradovich New Member

This ^ I'm not on stage anymore either, but I LOVE my S2 McCarty humbucker sounds in either a clean or dirty channel, and the single coil sounds ain't bad either. Not Strat, but close enough for me. A trem equipped PRS would round out everything else that I'd need, but that's just me. Now, if I had unlimited funds like some here, I'd keep the McCarty just because it was my 1st PRS, add the Joe Walsh Limited and a Core CU24. Oh, and my dream amp - a Dr Z Nova head & cab. :)

14. ThePanda

ThePanda New Member

PRS Silver Sky and a Core McCarty 594

Alternatively -> Paul's Guitar and 594 Hollowbody II (or Hollowbody II Piezo)

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

My gigs are studio sessions. I would only need the 20th Anniversary of Private Stock Ltd. Paul's 408 neck and bridge, with Narrowfield in the middle position. 594 scale length. Does everything well.

I wouldn't bother to take a second guitar.

As an alternative I could go with either the CU24 or McCarty. Again, would only need one.

tyfu20, shimmilou, veinbuster and 5 others like this.
  16. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Just cuz you don't want to carry two down the steps! :p

17. Screamingdaisy

For me, the main priority would be a higher output bridge. I really like my stock McCarty, but past a certain point the scooped bridge pickup isn’t ideal.

The simple answer would probably be a Cu24 with an HFS, JB, or \m/ bridge. Bonus points for the the trem, upper fret access, alternate neck tone, 2 and 4 positions, etc.

If they made a CU24 Floyd without the Floyd…

garrett and bodia like this.
  18. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

If I played out I would bring a Silver Sky and likely my 408 or DGT or one of the other hum bucker PRS I have for you the McCarty covers the DGT , LP thing I would get something single coil a Vela Silver Sky , DC3 , 305 , 509 , Fiore

This are my top 3 at the moment :)

[​IMG]IMG_7023 by

19. Steve's addiction

Steve's addiction New Member

My 89 CE and one of my 513's

dogrocketp, veinbuster and bodia like this.
  20. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

Custom 24

dogrocketp and shimmilou like this.