Which Two PRS - Gigging Edition

TL;DR - If you could only have two PRS to gig with, which ones would you choose to cover all the sounds that you need? Not every sound possible… just the sounds that you actually need for the gigs that you play?

——————

Long story - I recently moved cross country and into a much smaller place, which involved a massive downsize in gear. I sold most of my guitars, including all my PRS, except a McCarty.

I almost sold the McCarty as well. The only two guitars I was supposed to keep were a Les Paul and a Telecaster. I figured with those two guitars I could get just about any sound I needed. I balked at the last minute and pulled my McCarty out of consignment.

The thing that saved it was that I can’t get an identically spec’d one anymore (original 85/15 and locking tuners) and that with the solid tailpiece it requires so little maintenance that it’s an ideal gigging guitar.

The thing is, the McCarty more or less makes my LP and Tele redundant. I can take that one guitar to a gig and get both those kind of sounds with a fraction of the maintenance headache. Conversely, the LP and Tele more or less make the McCarty redundant. The LP does a better LP, and the Tele does a better Tele, but it’s more maintenance and I need to swap guitars every time I want to swap sounds, which isn’t always practical.

So….. for the last week or so I’ve been pondering, what if all I had was a McCarty? Which PRS would I pair it with to get all the sounds I need that the McCarty isn’t particularly good at? I’m kind of thinking an old school Custom 24, but then I’m also thinking DGT, or maybe a semi-hollow of some sort, or a second McCarty with a high output bridge.

Anyway, if you could only have two PRS to gig with, which ones would you choose to cover all the sounds that you need? Not every sound possible… and not the sounds that I need, just the sounds that you actually need for the gigs that you play?

I played in a variety band for many years that covered everything from rock and blues to country and Motown, using two PRS guitars: a 513 Brazilian neck from 2007 and… another 513 Brazilian neck from 2007! From country clean to Santana smoldering, the 513 covered it.

I swapped many guitars in and out, but always came back to the 513. Even though I’m more playing a Hollowbody recently (594 HB and an HB Spruce), if returning to a “One Guitar to Rule Them All” scenario, the 513s would be in my road case.

Sticking only to guitars I own, assuming no need for backups...

If we're going production models, DGT and probably my Tremonti. Could potentially swap my 594 SC for the DGT, but I do like having my trem.

If we go outside prod, then I'd toss in my PS (McCarty, \m/ pickups) and probably my Silver Sky.

This all assumes I get another band some day and actually play out again.

I shall answer your question with a question: What do you find the McCarty isn't particularly good at? I think that should drive your decision since you want the new guitar to complement the McCarty.

For ME, I find that any PRS with the resistor coil tap gives me everything I need for a 4 set gig, playing country to rock. If just had a McCarty, I'd look for something with a trem to satisfy that occasional need for whammy bar action.

I shall answer your question with a question: What do you find the McCarty isn't particularly good at? I think that should drive your decision since you want the new guitar to complement the McCarty.

For ME, I find that any PRS with the resistor coil tap gives me everything I need for a 4 set gig, playing country to rock. If just had a McCarty, I'd look for something with a trem to satisfy that occasional need for whammy bar action.
This ^ I'm not on stage anymore either, but I LOVE my S2 McCarty humbucker sounds in either a clean or dirty channel, and the single coil sounds ain't bad either. Not Strat, but close enough for me. A trem equipped PRS would round out everything else that I'd need, but that's just me. Now, if I had unlimited funds like some here, I'd keep the McCarty just because it was my 1st PRS, add the Joe Walsh Limited and a Core CU24. Oh, and my dream amp - a Dr Z Nova head & cab. :)

TL;DR - If you could only have two PRS to gig with, which ones would you choose to cover all the sounds that you need? Not every sound possible… just the sounds that you actually need for the gigs that you play?

——————

Long story - I recently moved cross country and into a much smaller place, which involved a massive downsize in gear. I sold most of my guitars, including all my PRS, except a McCarty.

I almost sold the McCarty as well. The only two guitars I was supposed to keep were a Les Paul and a Telecaster. I figured with those two guitars I could get just about any sound I needed. I balked at the last minute and pulled my McCarty out of consignment.

The thing that saved it was that I can’t get an identically spec’d one anymore (original 85/15 and locking tuners) and that with the solid tailpiece it requires so little maintenance that it’s an ideal gigging guitar.

The thing is, the McCarty more or less makes my LP and Tele redundant. I can take that one guitar to a gig and get both those kind of sounds with a fraction of the maintenance headache. Conversely, the LP and Tele more or less make the McCarty redundant. The LP does a better LP, and the Tele does a better Tele, but it’s more maintenance and I need to swap guitars every time I want to swap sounds, which isn’t always practical.

So….. for the last week or so I’ve been pondering, what if all I had was a McCarty? Which PRS would I pair it with to get all the sounds I need that the McCarty isn’t particularly good at? I’m kind of thinking an old school Custom 24, but then I’m also thinking DGT, or maybe a semi-hollow of some sort, or a second McCarty with a high output bridge.

Anyway, if you could only have two PRS to gig with, which ones would you choose to cover all the sounds that you need? Not every sound possible… and not the sounds that I need, just the sounds that you actually need for the gigs that you play?

PRS Silver Sky and a Core McCarty 594

Alternatively -> Paul's Guitar and 594 Hollowbody II (or Hollowbody II Piezo)

My gigs are studio sessions. I would only need the 20th Anniversary of Private Stock Ltd. Paul's 408 neck and bridge, with Narrowfield in the middle position. 594 scale length. Does everything well.

I wouldn't bother to take a second guitar.

As an alternative I could go with either the CU24 or McCarty. Again, would only need one.

My gigs are studio sessions. I would only need the 20th Anniversary of Private Stock Ltd. Paul's 408 neck and bridge, with Narrowfield in the middle position. 594 scale length. Does everything well.

I wouldn't bother to take a second guitar.

As an alternative I could go with either the CU24 or McCarty. Again, would only need one.
Just cuz you don't want to carry two down the steps! :p

For me, the main priority would be a higher output bridge. I really like my stock McCarty, but past a certain point the scooped bridge pickup isn’t ideal.

The simple answer would probably be a Cu24 with an HFS, JB, or \m/ bridge. Bonus points for the the trem, upper fret access, alternate neck tone, 2 and 4 positions, etc.

If they made a CU24 Floyd without the Floyd…

Back