Which Tubes In Your HX/DA???

I am gunning for chewy/spongy feel, with a rich mid content (upper AND lower) with a somewhat limited bass response and smooth top end. I'm NOT looking for aggressive tones. Also, are you using these tubes in a Super Lead / 1959 / 1987 style circuit?

The closest I've found to that in recent production tubes are the Winged Cs, so far. But I'm itching to put in a set of NOS Mullards soon.

Also, don't overlook the effect of preamp tubes on what you're describing. They make a big difference, as my experimentation with NOS BRIMARs showed in my DG30. The BRIMARs were so much more classy sounding than the JJs in the same locations, it wasn't even close. In fact, I'm planning on trying some in my HXDA.

The closest I've found to that in recent production tubes are the Winged Cs, so far. But I'm itching to put in a set of NOS Mullards soon.

Also, don't overlook the effect of preamp tubes on what you're describing. They make a big difference, as my experimentation with NOS BRIMARs showed in my DG30. The BRIMARs were so much more classy sounding than the JJs in the same locations, it wasn't even close. In fact, I'm planning on trying some in my HXDA.

I was going to do that exact thing, as soon as I settled on power tubes that last. I'm looking at NOS stuff right now, but everything I find seems sketchy.

As far as preamp tubes, I haven't really done much research, but I'll be looking to build upon the squishy/more mids and harmonics base. Any recommendations?

I've always liked the recorded tone of 1959's and AC30's, but in real life applications they always felt strident, aggressive, and lacking in sustain compared to their recordings. If that information helps you understand my tonal preferences......

I was going to do that exact thing, as soon as I settled on power tubes that last. I'm looking at NOS stuff right now, but everything I find seems sketchy.

As far as preamp tubes, I haven't really done much research, but I'll be looking to build upon the squishy/more mids and harmonics base. Any recommendations?

I've always liked the recorded tone of 1959's and AC30's, but in real life applications they always felt strident, aggressive, and lacking in sustain compared to their recordings. If that information helps you understand my tonal preferences......

I get it. We probably have similar tastes in not digging harsh/strident tones!

Of course, recordings will sound different from live if for no other reason than the use of compression on guitar tracks. Compression increases sustain and smooths out peaky high frequency content, and throw in a little typical EQ and you simply have a different recipe on the signal than you'll ever hear live.

i generally like to record bright amps like AC30s with a ribbon mic like the Royer R121. It rolls off the highs a bit but still sounds very big and 3D. I'm liking the new Rode ribbon a lot on guitar amp, too.

I've only heard them in home audio applications where they were very neutral sounding without a ton of bass. I don't know if O would call them spongy but I know what you mean and I think you may ilk them.

Well, I had success installing the Mullard Reissues and biasing them properly. They are definitely fatter in tone than the Tung Sols; not as "stringy." I was able to pump the bass up a bit too, so I guess they seem to have a tighter bass response. I'm pretty much right on with Jimmy Herring's tone in WSP, post-Fuchs era, using his 2HB PRS. I am using the bridge pickup only when going for leads in a thick mix, and you can definitely tell the difference between my tone and his with the neck pickup rolled in, but it's on the same street in the same neighborhood.

I'm using a Plim Soul (gain at 9:00) where he would use a Tube Factor, so there's a difference there too, but again, buried in the mix it's pretty close. The level of gain, and sustain are right on.

* Above given for reference to understand my description of the tone.

I'm going to recheck the bias when I get back home from work, and give the tubes a good breaking-in.

I had Tung Sols in my last Two-Rock and agree that they accent string sounds; I thought the amp sounded best with single coil pickups, one of the reasons I switched back to Mesa and later, PRS amps. I find PRS amps work well with all kinds of pickups, and maybe the output tubes have a role to play in that?

incidentally, I also use a Plimsoul to give a little extra push when I need it!

I am gunning for chewy/spongy feel, with a rich mid content (upper AND lower) with a somewhat limited bass response and smooth top end. I'm NOT looking for aggressive tones. Also, are you using these tubes in a Super Lead / 1959 / 1987 style circuit?
The Tube Store does a good job of posting descriptions, albeit subjective. The New Sensor owned Mullards are supposed to be similar to what you are seeking. The Marshall circuits are susceptible to brittleness if the wrong preamp tube is introduced. The key is old stock Mullard 12ax7s, IMO. That one tube, in V1, can totally transform an amp. Switch between a garden variety Tung Sol and an old Mullard and you'll instantly hear what I mean.

Let me add this...when my =C= EL34s gave in on the Super Dallas, I was really worried. Plus, I was gigging a lot and had no time for picking and testing esoteric tubes. Chose a generic JJ's model and have been very happy with the results. Yes, they sound different - not bad, just different - but they sound good and have been very reliable. For workhorse performance and a reasonable price, JJ is a solid option.

Last edited:
I'm going to take your advice on this Boogie. NOS Mullards and others that I basically just said "ok" to on the phone are inbound!

I'm going to take your advice on this Boogie. NOS Mullards and others that I basically just said "ok" to on the phone are inbound!
Cool, I'm flattered! I went thru a 2 year process of experimenting with preamp cocktails in my Boogie and Bassman. Eventually, I went mostly back to stock configuration and let the SuperD cover the territory I was trying to find with those other amps. Its tubes are pretty much stock, too. But who knows, I might experiment with the Mullard in V1 on the SuperD this weekend. You've got my mind obsessing again. :D

Which did you order, preamp? Power tubes?

Ordered preamp tubes this time. I have the new Reissue Mullards in the power section right now.

I've gravitated towards setting the amp more like you described you set yours up Les, but a little further to the clean side. I have it set so I get a touch of break up on the neck/bridge slug coils selection, and I get some tasteful drive in the full humbucking positions. My old MXR Super Comp adds some gain into the more crunchy stuff, and I'm using an ARC Effects Klone for the heavies.

Cool, I'm flattered! I went thru a 2 year process of experimenting with preamp cocktails in my Boogie and Bassman. Eventually, I went mostly back to stock configuration and let the SuperD cover the territory I was trying to find with those other amps. Its tubes are pretty much stock, too. But who knows, I might experiment with the Mullard in V1 on the SuperD this weekend. You've got my mind obsessing again. :D

Well, I'm sorry for that! I have debilitating A.D.D.; the main issue is "hyperfocus." When I get onto stuff like this, I can't do anything else until it's resolved. Case in point: I should be working right now, and I'm on the internet researching tubes, speakers, amp design, soldering irons, resistors, caps, transformers, negative feedback loops, etc... Hopefully I haven't started you down the same path!

This current amp is SOOOO CLOOOOSE, and I just can't stop thinking about it! Actually, my other amp is so close too! Then I get frustrated and start looking at other amps.

Don't get me started on pedals......

Don't get me started on pedals......
Thats a totally different thread. I'm firing up the soldering iron tonight to get some custom cables made for my pedalboard refurb. There will be pics tomorrow. You're welcome. :biggrin:

Ordered preamp tubes this time. I have the new Reissue Mullards in the power section right now.

I've gravitated towards setting the amp more like you described you set yours up Les, but a little further to the clean side. I have it set so I get a touch of break up on the neck/bridge slug coils selection, and I get some tasteful drive in the full humbucking positions. My old MXR Super Comp adds some gain into the more crunchy stuff, and I'm using an ARC Effects Klone for the heavies.

Sounds great! You've thought it through!

Has anyone tried 6L6GC's in the HX/DA yet? Just wondering... I loved those in my Boogie's

I'm not sure you can swap EL34s for 6L6s in the HXDA without a mod. Might want to check with PRS first before you try a set?

I'm not sure you can swap EL34s for 6L6s in the HXDA without a mod. Might want to check with PRS first before you try a set?

My amp can swap those and KT-66's, with instructions to bias to 70ma ??? I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about any amp circuit, but my assumption after speaking with the designer of my amp is that if the bias adjustment allows you to bring 6L6's to that bias point, you're good.

I'm still waiting for my preamp tubes; I'll check on them later today to see when they're arriving.

I'm circling back to the full volume side of things again. I took the attenuator out of the rig, and without it, the amp doesn't have any sag until very high on the volume knob. Even with it full up, I'm looking for more sag.

I want a Super Lead that feels like a 5E3

My amp can swap those and KT-66's, with instructions to bias to 70ma ??? I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about any amp circuit, but my assumption after speaking with the designer of my amp is that if the bias adjustment allows you to bring 6L6's to that bias point, you're good.

This is an HXDA?

Back