Which strap locks?

Dunlop Dual Design for me, it is the first mod I do to any gigging guitar. Fail safe and they look great as well. The included screw fits the PRS screw hole without modification. I put the OEM button and screw in a plastic bag in the case, to reinstall if the guitar is later sold.

N4KyKiC.jpg
Same. Got it on my PRSs

A word of caution about the new Schaller locks with the integrated screw, the screw is larger diameter than the stock hole in the guitar (for PRS at least). Schaller claims it is self tapping, but I would not install without some minor prep to the guitar. When I installed on my S2 Custom, it cracked a nice piece of finish off around the screw because I didn’t make the hole bigger first. What I did on my others was to use a drill bit just smaller than the threads on the Schaller screw, but bigger than the stock hole in the guitar, by hand, insert into the hole and rotate in reverse to ream the hole out, about 1/2” deep. If you rotate in the normal forward/clockwise direction, the bit will bite into your finish and can pull it up and crack it. That prep should reduce the expansion stress near the surface from the new screw enough to prevent finish damage.

Thanks for the pointer, I haven't seen the S-Locks to this, but I've only put them on two guitars so far.

My 594 DC had the problem you describe, though I think on that guitar I used Dunlops with the stock screw.

My first PRS I installed the Schallers on. Used the original PRS screws, but had to trim the heads down to fit into them.

i remove the buttons and screw them back on through the strap. strap locks are a racket.
The first strap locks I used, back in the late 70s or early 80s, was a lot like that. It was a leather piece that screwed to the guitar, and had a screw that went through the strap on the other end. You needed a screwdriver if you wanted to take the strap off.

I much prefer being able to easily remove or add the strap when needed. Seems the strap always ends up in my way when sitting.

A word of caution about the new Schaller locks with the integrated screw, the screw is larger diameter than the stock hole in the guitar (for PRS at least). Schaller claims it is self tapping, but I would not install without some minor prep to the guitar. When I installed on my S2 Custom, it cracked a nice piece of finish off around the screw because I didn’t make the hole bigger first. What I did on my others was to use a drill bit just smaller than the threads on the Schaller screw, but bigger than the stock hole in the guitar, by hand, insert into the hole and rotate in reverse to ream the hole out, about 1/2” deep. If you rotate in the normal forward/clockwise direction, the bit will bite into your finish and can pull it up and crack it. That prep should reduce the expansion stress near the surface from the new screw enough to prevent finish damage.
Good advice about reaming the hole out a bit to keep the finish from cracking. My Dunlop screws were ever so tight so I took your advice before cranking them all the way in tight. Worked like a charm! :p

I don't have a preference for these types of strap locks, but want to help warn people that they can work loose or wear out over time. Strap locks should be checked regularly and replaced if they show signs of wear. A drop of mild locktite or nail polish on the threads will help keep things tight. It hasn't happened to me, but I know people who have had guitars damaged because Dunlop and Schaller strap locks wore out and failed.

I personally use the rubber washer/Grolsch bottle gasket method.

Schaller. I dremel the PRS screw head some to make sure it doesn’t get stuck. Makes it easy to remove and revert to the original button if I resell. The Schaller S lock works great with SE models. I would not use them in USA made as you must widen the holes.

Dunlop Dual Design for me, it is the first mod I do to any gigging guitar. Fail safe and they look great as well. The included screw fits the PRS screw hole without modification. I put the OEM button and screw in a plastic bag in the case, to reinstall if the guitar is later sold.

N4KyKiC.jpg
I have these on all my guitars and I also keep the originals. And I love that I use one strap with all my guitars.

I use Fender strap locks on all my guitars. Same style as Schaller, but they're much cheaper. I usually drill out the strap button hole to fit a bigger and longer screw. I don't trust any screw that comes with any piece of guitar equipment.

I use Schaller strap locks, the best hands down if you ask me. I like how you can get them with two lengths of screws, that way if the hole strips out with the factory locks you can’t get the one with the longer mounting screw.

Back