Which strap locks?

krb813

I need recommendations on strap locks for my Custom 24. Preferably ones that can use the PRS original screw.

Thanks.

In my experience the Dunlops take the PRS screw just fine.

(Take that sentence as you will!)

I prefer Schallers myself, but it seems to be hit or miss whether the stock PRS screw fits within the Schaller strap button. So I've sometimes used the PRS screw with them, sometimes the Schaller screw. I can't even remember which guitars I've done which on, so it seems not to make a huge difference.

I've put the new Schaller S-Locks he last couple of PRSi that I've bought, and I really like those. They have an integral screw that seem to go into the PRS holes without issue. They're a bit shorter and fatter than than PRS screws. But again they seem to work just fine.

Dunlop Dual Design for me, it is the first mod I do to any gigging guitar. Fail safe and they look great as well. The included screw fits the PRS screw hole without modification. I put the OEM button and screw in a plastic bag in the case, to reinstall if the guitar is later sold.

N4KyKiC.jpg

Last edited:
A word of caution about the new Schaller locks with the integrated screw, the screw is larger diameter than the stock hole in the guitar (for PRS at least). Schaller claims it is self tapping, but I would not install without some minor prep to the guitar. When I installed on my S2 Custom, it cracked a nice piece of finish off around the screw because I didn’t make the hole bigger first. What I did on my others was to use a drill bit just smaller than the threads on the Schaller screw, but bigger than the stock hole in the guitar, by hand, insert into the hole and rotate in reverse to ream the hole out, about 1/2” deep. If you rotate in the normal forward/clockwise direction, the bit will bite into your finish and can pull it up and crack it. That prep should reduce the expansion stress near the surface from the new screw enough to prevent finish damage.

Schallers for me. The old ones took the PRS screw just fine, but the new ones have the integrated screw. I've had no issues w/that. I believe you can still get the old buttons from Stew Mac. They're not noiseless w/the S-Lock strap components, but they work just fine in my experience.

I’m a Dunlop guy. Have some that are 35 years old and still work perfect. Once a year I put a drop of oil on them.

Another vote for the older style Schallers with the original PRS screw. All 4 of my cores have these.

I've used the older Schallers with the PRS screws.

However, the older ones have a shorter barrel and with a quality thick leather strap they barely (and sometimes don't) offer enough thread to put the restrainer nut on.

Can anyone confirm that the new Schaller S-locks have a longer barrel that will work with a padded leather strap?

I've used the older Schallers with the PRS screws.

However, the older ones have a shorter barrel and with a quality thick leather strap they barely (and sometimes don't) offer enough thread to put the restrainer nut on.

Can anyone confirm that the new Schaller S-locks have a longer barrel that will work with a padded leather strap?

That's why I like the new Schaller S. I use a thick Italia leather strap and it was a royal PITA with the old style.

I spent a lot of time fretting about old versus new and the size of the screw and all that jazz. Ultimately, I went for it, used the new ones, and haven't looked back. I also prefer the hardware on the new ones. See photo where the top of the screw thread is barely visible at the top. Plenty of space.

YCHtI08.jpg

Dunlop Dual Design for me, it is the first mod I do to any gigging guitar. Fail safe and they look great as well. The included screw fits the PRS screw hole without modification. I put the OEM button and screw in a plastic bag in the case, to reinstall if the guitar is later sold.

N4KyKiC.jpg

+1

Back