Which S2 594 do you like best....assuming you like the 594 series....lol

Russ73

I have a thinline and I can completely rip on the 594 scale so I'm thinking of getting another guitar with the 594 scale length....should I just grab another thinline?? Maybe a SC or the regular 594 for this one?? Are the latters as comfortable as the thinline??

I'd go for the DC S2 594 first as that is the closest to the 'original' core 594 in terms of design and layout - the SC came later.

The Thinline deviates too much from the 'core' and Original inspiration but that can also be to its advantage as its 'different' enough to attract a different player - one who doesn't like thicker necks or switches on the upper horn but still want a certain sound. I prefer the Double cut myself as its generally lighter and allows better access up the neck as the upper cutaway also allows the neck heel to be situated further back. The Single Cut has its merits too and more 'traditional' to its original inspiration.

I think the purpose of the 3 models is to offer a choice to suit 'different' players and their preferences.
The Single Cut is for those that want the 'traditional' looking guitar and layout associated with that sound.
The Double Cut is for those that want a more 'PRS' take on the Original with better access up the neck.
The Thineline is for those that want a vintage LP sound but never liked the weight, layout or neck shape - maybe more Strat type players wanting LP tones in their collection...

That's my opinion on the 3 models and my advice on which to buy would be the one that 'fits' their preferences the most. There are people who can't stand to see a toggle on an upper Horn unless its a Single Cut so I wouldn't recommend the DC to them...

I'm jonesing for a Singlecut 594. The beveled tops are so comfortable and I like the look of the bevel better on the SC vs DC. Fish for a lighter one if you don't want too big a weight difference from the Thinline. I think it'll give you more of a different feel and sound, which is good for the collection.

Or to keep the feel closer, go for the DC, which will still have a bit different sound and feel. I dunno. Can't lose.

Try the full PV neck carve first, very different then the neck carve on the Thinline. DC has a great tone, but SC if you want more LP style tone (more push in lower mids)

I love my TL - 22 frets with the 594 scale length and the Pattern Thin neck are all perfect for me. But, you already have a TL, so maybe try the single cut if you'll like the feel of a fatter neck.

The thinline all day otherwise going core. I played lots of SC PRS and at the end of the day I prefer my SC58 over a S2 594.

I’ve not played a thin line. But I have tried the S2 SC594 and was very impressed. And I have 2 sc594’s and used to own a WL dc 594.

First off the thin line has a completely different neck carve than the rest of the 594 family. I love the pattern vintage neck shape. It fits my hand like a glove. Not everyone agrees. So def try it first if you can.

After that, it’s up to you if you as far as single cut vs double cut. I had to sell my first dc 594 for financial reasons. Nothing to do with how awesome the guitar was. And I didn’t buy SC 594’s because I preferred them. I liked the deals I was getting on them. If I would have found the same deals on DC models first I would have bought them instead. I honestly really like both shapes. And can’t tell any difference in tone. I’m also not one to spend a lot of time on the higher frets. But I can see where the dc probably does have a little better access up there.

And fwiw I have considered a thin line. To me it’s the “SG” of the 594 line up. While the rest are variations on a LP. So in all reality you need both.

I concur. I consider the Thinline like an SG. All of them ruled. I liked the single cut for how it felt. Yes it’s suppose to feel like a Les Paul. But it’s also 2-3 lbs lighters than most LP’s and Tremonti’s.

I honestly think you can’t go wrong. Keep an eye out for dealer runs with special finishes or ebony boards. For the money the S2 594 line is amazing.

I just got a new SC 594 in Black Amber today. The top is really nice looking unlike many of the S2s. I have had a DC 594 for about a year and a half.
I like the SC 594 better. Definitely more closer to a LP.
I switched out the bridge pup on the DC for a Dimarzio Air Zone. It added a tiny bit more gain and a little more rolled off treble. The stock 58/15 sounded a little too bright for me.
Interestingly though, on the new SC I like the bridge pup. I don't feel like I might change it out.

Hey, Not raggin on the other S2 594's, as I have fondled the Pattern Vintage neck carve (for a few minutes, in the Local GC) ...

BUT ... If you are diggin' on the Thinline, the other two are radically different ...

The SC /DC are heavier guitars (but by no means a problem, Heck, I like my Two Ton Tele TE-52 by Harley Benton !) :)
But like said here ...
If you love that neck, then maybe another Thinline. Keep in mind the DC and SC are going to have the Pattern Vintage neck profile.

The Pattern Vintage Is probably the chunkiest PRS neck carve available ...And then it does the "asymmetry thing" ...

Which in time I might like ... But I cannot spend $2K on an "experiment", especially when I already know , The Thinline is just about perfect for me (if only I could get that flamey/stripey veneer top !)

Or Heck ... P 90's !

The 58/15S pickups appear to perform "differently" in the beefier guitar (people don't seem to like them as much in the heavier guitar, where Thinline and SE Hollowbody folk dig 'em ...

So Thinline is the one for me, even though I already have one... I like the idea of a "backup" ;)

Back