Which PRS would YOU release?

justmund

Plank Spanker
Ok so you're the boss of PRS, what production PRS model would you release, and why?

The rules are simple, it needs to make sense economically (for the company), fit with the company ethos and take in to account long-term materials availability. Personal taste and preference should be put aside, and list as many specs as relevant (woods, bridges, tuners, body thickness, artist package yes/no, pickups, switching, neck profiles etc).

-Maybe a new artist signature model
-Maybe a trem equipped P22/P24 (ok that's the obvious one!)
-Maybe an acoustic amp (no. 2 obvious one!)

SE One singlecut body shape (in Swamp Ash) but more of an angle between neck and body. 25 and 1/4" scale. Fat Maple neck and fretboard. Old birds. Stoptail. Starla bridge pup. Lipstick neck pup (slanted). Push/pull volume (for Power out of phase) and push/pull tone pot to tap the Starla.

Oh! OH! And P22 piezo. :)

Last edited:
I agree with the trem on a P24. For me, I think a swamp ash body set neck, CU24, with a 59/09 in the rear and 2 narrow fields up front, and a flamed maple neck/board (or solid rose wood) would be my guitar of choice.

I think it would be more like a mid-priced line that took the "X" series concept in a different direction, and it would be called "Moons by PRS".

Mira and Starla flat style body shape out of alder, back routed to lose that ugly pickguard, trem, Santana headstock on a maple bolt on neck with maple/rosewood fretboard options, 25" scale, moon inlays, covered HFS at the bridge, Tele/lipstick at the neck, vol-vol-tone-toggle layout (use the DGT back plate for high commonality of parts), satin finished to keep production costs down, assembled out of USA made parts by inmates at a Baltimore correctional institution for troubled youths overseen by their newly appointed warden John "Orkie" Ingram.

I've always thought this would be a cool PRS guitar:

Mira body shape, mahogany, but with the thickness of a singlecut. Back routed to do away with the pickguard, maple top optional.
Mahogany neck, ebony board, 22 frets, 24.5 scale, pattern profile, moons or birds.
Wrap around or trem
Phase III's
57/08 bridge, 53/10 neck, 5-way, 2 vol, 1 tone

And I will gladly test the prototypes ;) Ok, maybe that's being a bit lofty.

But really.

PRS needs an under $2,000 (street) USA McCarty model. McCarty body, mohagany back and neck, rw fretboard, old birds, 5708s, trem or stop tail, std maple top (or all mahogany), etc, etc.

Last edited:
SC245 with DGT controls.
But I might try a run of SC with the upper tone a piezo blend - and a mini toggle to switch the piezo in.

Love this idea. I've always wanted a Singlecut, but I prefer McCarty or DGT switching over LP style. I know I can get it on Private Stock or get a SCT, but I want the body thickness with a wraparound or two piece bridge.

Standard mcarty body,408 pickup system,BUT here's the special touch...CARVE the back of the body the same way as the front,with that nice sexy arch!!! I suppose that would make it a lot like the hollow body guitars; witch means the CNC programing is already in place!! A little modification to the progam and BINGO, we'll have us a sweet piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything with 408s and a piezo.

Or 513 pickups and switching...and a piezo.

I guess I'm one of the few, but I still want them to bring back the maple top Mira (and I'm even OK with the pick guard;) ).

I'm all for a production USA seven string. McCarty body thickness with 25.5" scale length. Ash body for non Maple topped models and Mahogany body for Maple topped models. Maple neck (I would prefer mahogany but I figure Maple would sell better) and Rosewood fingerboard. Prs tremolo, 24 frets with overwound 408 style pickups and we are good to go. At some point during its production life I'd love to add the option of a piezo loaded tremolo.

Production 4 string bass. Bolt on. Keep the fancy knobs and switching for the Private Stock models just make something solid and sounds good. Basically a McCarty look but stretched out, so it is familiar looking; Kinda like a P bass is a stretched out S guitar. Keep it under $2K.

A DGT with a rosewood neck would also make me open my wallet again...........or a DGT standard in an all black motif, hardware, pickup rings, knobs, etc. would be so badass.

PRS needs an under $2,000 (street) USA McCarty model. McCarty body, mohagany back and neck, rw fretboard, old birds, 5708s, trem or stop tail, std maple top (or all mahogany), etc, etc.
Completely agree Bill. Or even offer the DGT with a stoptail. Most times I've said this though, people usually tell me there are enough on the used market.

Production 4 string bass. Bolt on. Keep the fancy knobs and switching for the Private Stock models just make something solid and sounds good. Basically a McCarty look but stretched out, so it is familiar looking; Kinda like a P bass is a stretched out S guitar. Keep it under $2K.

A DGT with a rosewood neck would also make me open my wallet again...........or a DGT standard in an all black motif, hardware, pickup rings, knobs, etc. would be so badass.
I think the bass is a great idea, An SE bass would be good too.

But I suppose that these models were done away with for a reason.

24 fret Singlecut trem with an trem up rout, flamed maple top, ebony fingerboard, killswitch, older version of a wide thin neck much like those from the 90's, and I'd slap in some Bareknuckle Blackhawks just to try those out.

Do you guys recall all the discussions we used to have (on BaM) about trying to get a "Forum Guitar" build in limited quantities?

People's tastes are so varied it was hard to get many people to agree on a single model with the same specs. This thread is a perfect example of that.

I would release a SE Acoustic model with the Santana headstock, a passive pickup (maybe a K&K Western) with a satin finish, bone nut and saddle.

Back